INS Vikrant

coffee_rules

38 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Watershed moment. We could make another one in 5 years. 

We need a super carrier like the US has- we need atleast 3 carrier groups to counter China and pose a threat to them in South China sea... Pak is a bikhari anyway, one warship group is enough to blockade their ports

23 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

We need a super carrier like the US has- we need atleast 3 carrier groups to counter China and pose a threat to them in South China sea... Pak is a bikhari anyway, one warship group is enough to blockade their ports

We had 2 earlier . This is the 3rd one. Solely built in India. This is momentous 

Edited by coffee_rules

17 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Hasnt the oldest one from Soviet Era being decommissioned now? 

One was from Russia and one was a refurbished one from UK. I reckon If Russian one is decommissioned, we have two now. If we can speed up construction, we will have more soon

Edited by coffee_rules

This is a water shed moment for us.

India needs 3/4 carriers. I feel it will take much less time to build another carrier like this. 

But this project needs the tejas naval version to replace the mig29k which are unreliable. I know there is chat of f18 etc on this but we need our own birds on this. 

20 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

We had 2 earlier . This is the 3rd one. Solely built in India. This is momentous 

Not exactly. Very difficult to master power plant technology. Turbines are a very difficult to design and produce.

23 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Also along with this we removed the St. George’s Cross from the Navy ensign

Colonial past removed 

why the f was this crap not done away with earlier is a surprise to me.  And someone mentioned that it was removed once but then Congress govt brought it back? That's even worse.

Edited by sandeep

4 hours ago, G_B_ said:

This is a water shed moment for us.

India needs 3/4 carriers. I feel it will take much less time to build another carrier like this. 

But this project needs the tejas naval version to replace the mig29k which are unreliable. I know there is chat of f18 etc on this but we need our own birds on this. 

Not sure if carriers offer that much value from a cost-benefit perspective over the next few decades.  Warfare is moving away from large expensive platforms to fleets of autonomous cheaper expendable platforms.  The PLAN has an armada of drones mapping the ocean subsurface.  Just like cellphones gave India an opportunity to "catch up" to modern telecom availability for the masses without having to install old generation tech to the last village, Indian armed forces need to think progressively instead of greedily eyeing previous generation expensive white elephants.  This is not about just aircraft carriers, but a general comment.  Ashley Tellis made a 'telling' point recently that given India's budget constraints and priorities, going after a multi-carrier navy would translate into questionable budget allocations for a proper submarine force, which in terms of countering China and Pak, could potentially be of more importance.  Again, I do not claim expertise in evaluating these questions, but these are questions that need to be raised and authoritatively addressed before trillions are spent and locked in to spend over the next 50 years.

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Not sure if carriers offer that much value from a cost-benefit perspective over the next few decades.  Warfare is moving away from large expensive platforms to fleets of autonomous cheaper expendable platforms.  The PLAN has an armada of drones mapping the ocean subsurface.  Just like cellphones gave India an opportunity to "catch up" to modern telecom availability for the masses without having to install old generation tech to the last village, Indian armed forces need to think progressively instead of greedily eyeing previous generation expensive white elephants.  This is not about just aircraft carriers, but a general comment.  Ashley Tellis made a 'telling' point recently that given India's budget constraints and priorities, going after a multi-carrier navy would translate into questionable budget allocations for a proper submarine force, which in terms of countering China and Pak, could potentially be of more importance.  Again, I do not claim expertise in evaluating these questions, but these are questions that need to be raised and authoritatively addressed before trillions are spent and locked in to spend over the next 50 years.

But how will you fly those armada of drones from 1000s of miles away. With aircraft carriers it can be launched from 100 miles away from the enemy esp Pak and China

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

why the f was this crap not done away with earlier is a surprise to me.  And someone mentioned that it was removed once but then Congress govt brought it back? That's even worse.

NDA removed it in 1999. UPA-1 got it back. Modi didn’t do it in 2014 for some unknown reason. 
FbodkMCVEAAH-0E?format=jpg&name=900x900

21 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

One was from Russia and one was a refurbished one from UK. I reckon If Russian one is decommissioned, we have two now. If we can speed up construction, we will have more soon

Vikramaditya...the Russian one is operational.

59 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

But how will you fly those armada of drones from 1000s of miles away. With aircraft carriers it can be launched from 100 miles away from the enemy esp Pak and China

In modern warfare a carrier may not survive the first 5 minutes.