"Let it hurt" - Buttler after the IRE game (T20WC22)

zen

Buttler laments 'really disappointing day' for England: 'We should let it hurt'

"There's no point in saying let's sweep it under the carpet and move on. I think we've got to reflect"

There were no excuses offered by the England captain for Wednesday's loss to Ireland. They did not lament the rain, the ground conditions, or the decision to come off with England just five runs behind on DLS with 5.3 overs remaining.

"I take full responsibility myself," Buttler said. "To lose wickets like that puts the pressure on. I thought Ireland showed us how to bowl on that wicket. They found movement and created problems. That's just a really disappointing day."

England offering no excuses :hatsoff: ... The loss can be a welcome wake up call if the team can return to playing at its best ... Difficult to remain unbeaten in a WC so Eng has to remain positive and consider this as getting a bad game out of the way (and there is a pattern of Eng losing to European teams in WCs if I recall reading somewhere, so that is out of the way too unless NED makes it to the knockouts

Upcoming Eng games:

10/28 at MCG v AUS

11/02 at The Gabba v NZ

11/05 at SCG v Group A winner (likely SL)

Add: Potential SF & F 

A similar situation to 2019 WC where England needed to win 4-5 games in a row, where group games were virtual KOs +  the KOs

TEAM M W L PT NRR
NZ 2 1 0 3 4.450
SL 2 1 1 2 0.450
ENG 2 1 1 2 0.239
IRE 2 1 1 2 -1.169
AUS 2 1 1 2 -1.555
AFG 2 0 1 1 -0.620
  1. They aint winning against Aussies (aussies need to improve their NRR so expect them to come even hard at them)
  2. NZ game in Gabba will be very interesting since NZ have a better bowling attack and i think it shud give them more edge
  3. Facing SL in SCG wont be easy considering they had a hard time against Afghan that to in perth 
3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:
  1. They aint winning against Aussies (aussies need to improve their NRR so expect them to come even hard at them)

Aus does NOT need to worry about NRR IF it can beat ENG. It would have played NZ, SL, & ENG by that point. It would then be playing IRE and AFG. 

IF Aus loses to Eng, then various permutations and combinations come into play. 

Similarly, ENG does not need to worry about NRR if it can win its remaining games. 

Edited by zen
1 hour ago, Adamant said:

I said that they are not going to semis, even before the world cup began.

England is one heck of an overrated team in t20s, bowling attack is bad and batsman can't cope with anything but a flat patta. 

Batsmen are not FTB. But Bairstow injury and lack of experience costed them. Plus the freeloader in Stokes.

Bowling I agree. Even Topley wasn't going to do harm. But can't argue with people who say Rabada is better than Bhuvi.

10 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:
  2. NZ game in Gabba will be very interesting since NZ have a better bowling attack and i think it shud give them more edge
  3. Facing SL in SCG wont be easy considering they had a hard time against Afghan that to in perth 

England just beaten Aus in the bilateral series.

5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

England just beaten Aus in the bilateral series.

Yeah, Eng won 2-0 but could have been 3-0 if not for a washout. 

With two power packed line ups heading into a pressure game, this one should be interesting: 

Buttler - Warner

Hales - Finch 

Malan - Marsh

Stokes - Maxwell

Brook - Stoinis 

Moeen - David 

Livingston - Wade 

Curren - Agar 

Woakes - Cummins 

Wood - Starc 

Rashid - Hazlewood 

On 10/26/2022 at 1:08 PM, Vk1 said:

rain, cold weather, seam swing bounce - Eng, NZ, SA, AUS conditions covered.. now pitches need to grip and get slow - sub continent covered.. this really is a world cup.. 

All subcontinent teams eliminated except india and Pakistan. India don’t even have spinners.

1 hour ago, cricketfan28 said:

England looked like any other team so far , nothing special about them.

This lol they were choking lost 4 wickets for run a ball score. SL had poor field placing should have brought two more fielders in 

Edited by gattaca
13 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

if avg T20 score is 170+ Eng brings their A game.. these <150 pitches are lottery

SL was playing without any pressure while Eng had qualification on its mind 

In KOs, all teams are under similar pressure

On 10/26/2022 at 1:05 PM, zen said:

Buttler laments 'really disappointing day' for England: 'We should let it hurt'

"There's no point in saying let's sweep it under the carpet and move on. I think we've got to reflect"

There were no excuses offered by the England captain for Wednesday's loss to Ireland. They did not lament the rain, the ground conditions, or the decision to come off with England just five runs behind on DLS with 5.3 overs remaining.

"I take full responsibility myself," Buttler said. "To lose wickets like that puts the pressure on. I thought Ireland showed us how to bowl on that wicket. They found movement and created problems. That's just a really disappointing day."

England offering no excuses :hatsoff: ... The loss can be a welcome wake up call if the team can return to playing at its best ... Difficult to remain unbeaten in a WC so Eng has to remain positive and consider this as getting a bad game out of the way (and there is a pattern of Eng losing to European teams in WCs if I recall reading somewhere, so that is out of the way too unless NED makes it to the knockouts

buttler owned up and took responsibility. I still don't like aspects of him (e.g., holiet than thou regd non-striker run-outs), but he has shown much more openness and resolve than King Tuk Tuk (Rohit). Just like King Tut exists in Egypt, we have our own King Tuk in India.

Edited by Vijy
1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

Tbh, they won crucial tosses against NZ, India and Pak, just like Aus last year. They could lose any of these matches but for the toss. 

Ind would have batted first anyways so the toss was a formality (and it lost)