Hockey World Cup 2023- India

LordPrabhzy

15 hours ago, Number said:

I think they are tactically very good and don't get outpaced unlike us by Australia. Even England play much better against Australia than India. In CWG SFs this year, England gave Australia a real scare. 

Argentina very good in deep defence, dunno why but somehow they absorb all the pressure even in their circle and that too without conceding a whole lot of PCs.

Indian defence is good but against Aus we panic the moment we concede lead. After that a flurry of errors, we never recover. Mental scars too deep I guess. 

Also Argentina players are physically strong, many of our guys get bullied by non-Asian teams. Our fitness is good, endurance, speed etc. all have seen massive improvement but lacking in strength department.

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Argentina very good in deep defence, dunno why but somehow they absorb all the pressure even in their circle and that too without conceding a whole lot of PCs.

Indian defence is good but against Aus we panic the moment we concede lead. After that a flurry of errors, we never recover. Mental scars too deep I guess. 

Also Argentina players are physically strong, many of our guys get bullied by non-Asian teams. Our fitness is good, endurance, speed etc. all have seen massive improvement but lacking in strength department.

Im not sure what stopping a a lot of guys to get a but bigger in terms of gym? Like cricket i can understand a lot of people have reservations against cricketers becoming Kohli part 2 but Hockey is a endurance and physical sport which requires shot power and defence etc. Then again a lot of our players come from NE who are tiny.. i mean are they a match for burly/tall Dutch and German players?

Or even the targeting/identifying of 'tall' players who can command fear. Never seen any of these in Indian hockey.

5 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Im not sure what stopping a a lot of guys to get a but bigger in terms of gym? Like cricket i can understand a lot of people have reservations against cricketers becoming Kohli part 2 but Hockey is a endurance and physical sport which requires shot power and defence etc. Then again a lot of our players come from NE who are tiny.. i mean are they a match for burly/tall Dutch and German players?

Or even the targeting/identifying of 'tall' players who can command fear. Never seen any of these in Indian hockey.

My guess is that although a lot has changed but at very grassroot level it is still thought of as a skill based sport. Once a player is 15-16 years of age you can't change much in him. 

On 1/16/2023 at 5:10 AM, vice said:

Punjab was and is still the hub of hockey as far as players go.  Traditionally, more than 50% of the team has always been and is still Punjabi.  That's commendable considering there's cricket, hockey, and soccer,kabbadi, and the emigration.  Kabaddi used to get full stadiums a few years back and quite popular than cricket in rural areas back in the day.  For hockey stadiums and infrastructure, you'd need help from the Centre.  For being the hockey powerhouse, world cup should've been technically held in Punjab and would have had great support as well.

Centre hasn't been helping Odisha either but that poor state has been bankrolling Indian hockey for many years now. They have invested 1000 crores for this WC,  set up world class infra in two places. Training base is in Kalinga, Punjabi players probably spend more time in Odisha than Punjab throughout the year. Odisha also hosted the junior WC last year, doubt it made them any money. Their successful bid for the main event is well deserved. 

Punjab and some of the richer states (Guj, Maha, TN, Kar, AP, Tel) too can host these big events if their CMs are proactive like Naveen Patnaik.

How many world class players does India have currently? Rohidas and Varun Kumar are definitely, i don't like saying this but there is definitely a Punjab bias and a huge lobby which is stopping India from teaching greater, anyone that has watched selvan Karthi play know he is world class material, how was sukhjeet Singh picked ahead of him? Pawan Rajbhar to was quality in the Asia cup, jermanpreet Singh another lobby pick, dipsan tirkey should have been there, there is a massive bias at play.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Argentina's for having a small build are surprisingly strong. 

2 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Vivek Sagar Prasad was the best player in the world at junior level, insane skills, but height got stagnated at 1.6 m, must weigh 55-60 kgs. Chinglensana another one who stopped growing around that height. Many players from our tribal belt who are short, not that well built, sure they have got lots of guts and resilience (watch how bravely they defend PCs) but there are limitations. Players from Punjab better built but nothing compared to gora standards, and even the ones who have European/Australian build (eg. Rupinder Pal) are painfully slow...no explosiveness. 

From the pov of fitness we have kind of maximized with this current squad, but ceiling of gora teams is obviously higher. Hope with better nutrition/sanitation/health, access to sports science/medicine and earlier talent spotting we have more physical beasts in our squads in the future. 

Edited by Gollum