1st Test Nagpur, February 09 - 13, 2023, Australia tour of India - PREMATCH

SRT100

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

There's a reason ATGs like Lillee, Roberts rate Vishy above Sunny.

There's also a reason why Imran, Botham, Willis rate Sunny above Vishy. 

The same series with Simpson had Jeff Thomson. Sunny had 3 hundreds versus Thommo.  BTW Sunny still rates that Thommo as the fastest bowler he ever faced.

Yes he had 4 hundreds vs Sylvester Clarke and Norbert Phillip and a raw young Marshall but he also had 2 hundreds and a 90 vs the older great Marshall and co in 1983.

Hogg came to India as an all star and Sunny reduced him to a mere mortal in one match. BTW the Sylvester Clarke I saw in Mumbai was real fast as fast as the Bob Willis I saw in Mumbai on 2 occasions or Rod Hogg who was fast too.

Sunny struggled against Dennis Lillee and John Snow (who didn't against John Snow at his best!) but then Vishy was horrible vs Pakistan averaging 27 odd or in NZ with 26 odd.

Sunny is in many All time XI quoted by Brearley or one by Richie Benaud etc. Vishy?.... not so much.....and neither is Boycott.

Your unpopular opinion maybe he is inferior to Boycott.... my unpopular opinion is that he is better than the helmet clad, chest guard clad, this clad, that clad SRT in test cricket.

Edited by AKane

Since some folks discussed an AT 11, below is my current one: 

Batsmen 

Gavaskar - Ind's best test batsman 

Sehwag - Ind's most explosive test opener and a Bradman versus spin 

Pujara - Ind's most impactful test batsman esp. since 1990s 

Tendulkar - Ind's most well rounded multi-format batsman 

Pataudi (c) - Ind's best test captain who played with only one eye ... can play a Kohli or a Dravid or equivalent here 

Pant - Ind's most successful test WK 

Mankad - Ind's best test AR ... Mankad can be slotted anywhere in the batting order - has 100s in Aus & Eng too as an opener iirc

Bowlers (no matter what combination one tries, it will fall short of the best attacks relatively speaking)

Bumrah - brings unique set of skills to the table 

Shami - a genuine wicket taker 

3rd pacer - a toss among Srinath, Zak, Kapil (esp. if batting needs to be strengthened at #8), etc.  

A wicket taking wrist spinner - Chandra or Kumble or equivalent

Edited by zen
8 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

hazelwood is out of the first test. 

:hysterical:

Lets see what Boland Tondu does- he was hyped up purely based on his home track bullying.. he will get spanked on Indian pitches.

Without Starc and Hazelwood, Australia fans will say India won because of 2nd string aussie bowling line up

15 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

:hysterical:

Lets see what Boland Tondu does- he was hyped up purely based on his home track bullying.. he will get spanked on Indian pitches.

Without Starc and Hazelwood, Australia fans will say India won because of 2nd string aussie bowling line up

Indian team is like a box of chocolates. you are never going to know what you will get. 

hqdefault.jpg

4 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Ashwin can completely modify his action and be successful. He has gone through various actions. 

The likes of Jadeja/Ashwin & to a much lesser extent Axar aren't to be judged by their actions, it's their accuracy which is great & that's why they are supremely successful at this level. No copy cat can come close to their accuracy or psychological impact in the middle!

29 minutes ago, zen said:

Pataudi (c) - Ind's best test captain who played with only one eye ... can play a Kohli or a Dravid or equivalent here 

I also think Pataudi and Chandu Borde began the process of  emphasis on fielding. That helped the team a lot. While Borde was an excellent fielder, Pataudi was described as the best fielder in the world by many.

7 hours ago, AKane said:

There's also a reason why Imran, Botham, Willis rate Sunny above Vishy. 

It isn't a clear verdict for Sunny, Roberts and Lillee, two of the pioneers of fast bowling rating Vishy higher must mean something. 

7 hours ago, AKane said:

The same series with Simpson had Jeff Thomson. Sunny had 3 hundreds versus Thommo.  BTW Sunny still rates that Thommo as the fastest bowler he ever faced.

Thommo had lost his express pace by then because of injuries. he was at his fastest in early to mid 70s. 

Anyway it is doubtful if he was better than Pascoe, never mind Lillee. 

7 hours ago, AKane said:

Yes he had 4 hundreds vs Sylvester Clarke and Norbert Phillip and a raw young Marshall but he also had 2 hundreds and a 90 vs the older great Marshall and co in 1983.

Sylvester Clarke seriously? That you have to name him to praise Sunny's greatness is a statement in itself. What did he have apart from speed? 

The 1983 series pitches were designed to escape the wrath of WI after the WC win. Some of those pitches would put present Pak pattas to shame.

7 hours ago, AKane said:

Hogg came to India as an all star and Sunny reduced him to a mere mortal in one match. BTW the Sylvester Clarke I saw in Mumbai was real fast as fast as the Bob Willis I saw in Mumbai on 2 occasions or Rod Hogg who was fast too.

Historically Hogg, Clarke are nobodies. Won't make the 4th AT XI of their respective countries. That you have to bring these folks instead of ATGs tells the story, doesn't it?

7 hours ago, AKane said:

Sunny struggled against Dennis Lillee and John Snow (who didn't against John Snow at his best!) but then Vishy was horrible vs Pakistan averaging 27 odd or in NZ with 26 odd.

Vishy suffered at the fag end of his career in Pakistan (his final series before retirement), ok got it. I can take your assessment about him being horrible vs Pak/NZ but that doesn't excuse Sunny being horrible almost every single time he came up against quality bowling/ATGs in live rubbers, non-pattas etc. Doesn't do his reputation a whole lot of good. Better than most batsmen, but for a supposed AT XI contender, bar must be higher.

7 hours ago, AKane said:

Sunny is in many All time XI quoted by Brearley or one by Richie Benaud etc. Vishy?.... not so much.....and neither is Boycott.

Sunny is overrated. Vishy is rated correctly. That's my whole point.

Have seen Boycott in a few AT XIs as well. 

7 hours ago, AKane said:

Your unpopular opinion maybe he is inferior to Boycott.... my unpopular opinion is that he is better than the helmet clad, chest guard clad, this clad, that clad SRT in test cricket

Ok cool. Your opinion. IMO Gavaskar owes a lot to Kerry Packer. Still a legend, ATG etc. but most of the myths surrounding him are easy to refute. 

My last post on this, we have that Gavaskar thread (by @zen) to continue any discussion. 

Edited by Gollum
31 minutes ago, AKane said:

I also think Pataudi and Chandu Borde began the process of  emphasis on fielding. That helped the team a lot. While Borde was an excellent fielder, Pataudi was described as the best fielder in the world by many.

Besides fielding and fitness. Pataudi also changed the mindset of Indian players by bringing in the sense of equality (with known white players). He was also the one to promote the spin focused attack (not rank turners though). 

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

It isn't a clear verdict for Sunny, Roberts and Lillee, two of the pioneers of fast bowling rating Vishy higher must mean something. 

Pioneers of fast bowling? please..... Have you heard of Lindwall, Miller, Davidson, McKenzie? Have you heard of Hall and Griffith?

Sunny did not play 3 of 5 matches in 1974-75 due to a Ranji injury in that series vs I think Pandurang Salgaonkar who broke his hand.

Yes Sunny had a bad patch in 1981-83  esp after Botham broke his tibia when he hit a cover drive on Sunny at silly point.

But for example in 1976 tour of West Indies here are the top run scorers. Holding (3 matches), Roberts (2 matches) and Daniel played that series.

Most runs
Player Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 0
IVA Richards (WI) 4 6 0 556 177 92.66 3 1 0
SM Gavaskar (IND) 4 7 0 390 156 55.71 2 1 0
CH Lloyd (WI) 4 6 0 283 102 47.16 1 2 1
M Amarnath (IND) 4 7 0 279 85 39.85 0 2 0
GR Viswanath (IND) 4 6 0 255 112 42.50 1 1 0

Compare SRT   performance in 2002 with above against the great and mighty  Mervyn Dillon, Cameron Cuffy , Adam Sanford and Pedro Collins. Series India lost 2-1 like the series in 1976.

Most runs
Player Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s
CL Hooper (WI) 5 7 0 579 233 82.71 1140 50.78 3 1 0 69 6
S Chanderpaul (WI) 5 7 3 562 140 140.50 1477 38.05 3 3 0 69 0
VVS Laxman (IND) 5 8 2 474 130 79.00 926 51.18 1 4 0 63 0
R Dravid (IND) 5 8 1 404 144* 57.71 1022 39.53 1 2 0 60 0
SR Tendulkar (IND) 5 8 0 331 117 41.37 622 53.21 1 2 3 48 0
SC Ganguly (IND) 5 8 2 322 75* 53.66 747 43.10 0 2 0 35 2

In infamous Kingston test with Holding and Daniel bowling bouncers and beamers with impunity.  Look at Vishy.......

India 1st Innings 
BATTING   R B M 4s 6s SR
Sunil Gavaskar  b Holding 66 - 220 9 0 -
Anshuman Gaekwad  retired hurt 81 - 450 - 0 -
Mohinder Amarnath  c Julien b Holding 39 - - - 0 -
Gundappa Viswanath  c Julien b Holding 8 - - - 0 -
Dilip Vengsarkar  b Holding 39 - 140 - 0 -
Brijesh Patel  retired hurt 14 - - - 0 -
Madan Lal  lbw b Daniel 5 - - - 0 -
Srinivas Venkataraghavan  lbw b Daniel 9 - - - 0 -
Syed Kirmani  not out 0 - - 0 0 -
Extras (b 6, lb 6, nb 21, w 12) 45  
TOTAL 104.2 Ov (RR: 2.93) 306/6d

India 2nd Innings 
BATTING   R B 4s 6s SR
Sunil Gavaskar  c Julien b Holding 2 - 0 0 -
Dilip Vengsarkar  lbw b Jumadeen 21 - - 0 -
Mohinder Amarnath  st †Murray b Jumadeen 60 - 7 3 -
Madan Lal  b Holding 8 - - 0 -
Srinivas Venkataraghavan  b Holding 0 - 0 0 -
Syed Kirmani  not out 0 - 0 0 -
Anshuman Gaekwad  absent hurt - - - - -
Gundappa Viswanath  absent hurt - - - - -
Brijesh Patel  absent hurt - - - - -
Bishan Bedi (c) absent hurt - - - - -
Bhagwath Chandrasekhar  absent hurt - - - - -
Extras (nb 6) 6  
TOTAL 26.2 Ov (RR: 3.68) 97

17 minutes ago, AKane said:

Compare SRT   performance in 2002 with above against the great and mighty  Mervyn Dillon, Cameron Cuffy , Adam Sanford and Pedro Collins. Series India lost 2-1 like the series in 1976.

Yes let's compare how sh!t the umpiring was in that series as well, Hooper was run out against Nehra in the Second(3rd?) test, at Barbados, towards the non striker's end & the third umpire - Windian btw, claimed he couldn't see the "line" because of the shadow or sun obscuring his vision :hysterical:

He was at least half a meter short, can you believe that BS :laugh:

It was also that series where Ridley Jacobs was claiming a bump catch or dodgy stumping as well? I'm sure if you poke enough holes in some's record you can drown the lead balloon of Don as well, just that he played basically 1 (strong) team his entire career & no express pacers like the Windian quartet at their peak!

Edited by R!TTER
1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

Yes let's compare how sh!t the umpiring was in that series as well, Hooper was run out against Nehra in the Second(3rd?) test, at Barbados, towards the non striker's end & the third umpire - Windian btw, claimed he couldn't see the "line" because of the shadow or sun obscuring his vision :hysterical:

He was at least half a meter short, can you believe that BS :laugh:

It was also that series where Ridley Jacobs was claiming a bump catch or dodgy stumping as well? I'm sure if you poke enough holes in some's record you can drown the lead balloon of Don as well, just that he played basically 1 (strong) team his entire career & no express pacers like the Windian quartet at their peak!

Welcome to the West Indies where the umpiring was always as bad or worse than Pak. 

In Kingston in 1976 where I posted the scorecard for India - in I2 half the Indian team refused to bat as Holding and Daniel were doing beamers and not just bouncers. The umpires let them.......blatantly.

They did not try that with Pak because of Imran and Sarfraz.

12 minutes ago, AKane said:

Welcome to the West Indies where the umpiring was always as bad or worse than Pak. 

In Kingston in 1976 where I posted the scorecard for India - in I2 half the Indian team refused to bat as Holding and Daniel were doing beamers and not just bouncers. The umpires let them.......blatantly.

The point being lost, from the table you posted earlier, is that Laxman, Dravid, & Ganguly still managed to average 50+, while Tendulkar had the lowest average among the 4 at 41. 

It appears as if some delusional fans think only Tendulkar batted for India. 

Someone even mentioned his inning against Pak, where he got chances too - Moin missed a straight forward stumping. 

29 minutes ago, AKane said:

Right, so how does that prove SRT isn't better? Sure helmets have allowed batters to be slightly more "fearless" the counter argument to that is they have (arguably) less time & FoV to watch the ball from the bowler's hand, the grill & helmet on top is hardly the elixir or panacea you're making it out to be - it also has some major disadvantages!