Best cricket Biography books to read?

vvvslaxman

Back in the day I bought and read a few cricketer autobiographies like Sunny Days, Runs n Ruins, Sandy Storm, and Kapil Dev's book, but now this type of books don't appeal to me. Cricket players used to have a rarified, exotic aura and books used to satiate the audience's thirst to know more about the behind the scenes perspective of these guys.

Now, with so much media proliferation and social media activity, cricketers no longer have that exculsivity and there isn't much a book can reveal other than some exposed dirty linen, like the recent book by Sridhar. Kim Hughes, who had a very tough time with Dennis Lillee during his playing days, said he is buddies with him now and has no issues. He refused to write a book because he doesn't like to expose any dirty linen from the past and ruin his relationship with people. 

On 2/22/2023 at 12:58 AM, nevada said:

Back in the day I bought and read a few cricketer autobiographies like Sunny Days, Runs n Ruins, Sandy Storm, and Kapil Dev's book, but now this type of books don't appeal to me. Cricket players used to have a rarified, exotic aura and books used to satiate the audience's thirst to know more about the behind the scenes perspective of these guys.

Now, with so much media proliferation and social media activity, cricketers no longer have that exculsivity and there isn't much a book can reveal other than some exposed dirty linen, like the recent book by Sridhar. Kim Hughes, who had a very tough time with Dennis Lillee during his playing days, said he is buddies with him now and has no issues. He refused to write a book because he doesn't like to expose any dirty linen from the past and ruin his relationship with people. 

the first cricket book I read was cricket my style by Kapil Dev because someone had gifted that to me on my birthday as a kid.

I remember it had the list of Kapil’s wickets up till Attapattu who was his 400 th wicket if I am not mistaken. I still remembered that name because it was fun to say it. Only much later he came back to be a good batsman but I think he had 4 ducks on his debut games. His name stuck with me .

It was easy to read even as a 10 year old. Probably because it wasn’t written by Kapil himself :laugh: otherwise you need to have a PhD in English literature.

Those days we didn’t have much entertainment so me and my cousin used to cut Cricket pictures from news papers and magazines and create cricket albums. Can any other 90’s kids relate? Anyway few years back I found the half destroyed/ cut book in some attic. 

Edited by maniac