There is no way India should not be winning the World Cup: Michael Vaughan

sage

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/there-is-no-way-that-india-vaughan-warns-rohit-sharma-and-co-of-true-favourites-for-2023-world-cup-101679317542295.html

Former England captain Michael Vaughan has said that while he considers India one of the favourites to win the tournament, they have to be more aggressive with the bat. "I mean you will say India are favourites (for the World Cup) because it's obviously in India's backyard. But they got to be more aggressive with the bat, they got to be more aggressive with the ball. Recently they have been a bit more aggressive in their approach. They need to continue that style of cricket," said Vaughan on Khaleej Times.

India had recently gone on a run of eight wins on the bounce in ODIs but it came to an end rather spectacularly with a 10-wicket hiding that they received at the hands of Australia. Their batting lineup was routed with fast bowler Mitchell Starc taking five wickets and openers Mitchell Marsh and Travis Head then chased down the total.

“India, for the talent pool that they have, the resources that they have, they have underachieved in white-ball cricket for too many years. There is no way that India's white-ball group should not be winning the World Cups. They should be because they have got the talent pool to do so. I think in this World Cup a lot will depend on whether they are going to be brave enough to play the right style under pressure in front of huge crowds at home,” said Vaughan.

Vaughan, however, said that he considers defending champions England as major contenders for the trophy as well. “I have to say that England are the favourites even if it's in conditions that you know is little bit different to what it was in 2019 when they won the World Cup (in England). They (England) have got good spin options. They have got good players who play spin nicely. They have got good variations with the seam bowlers, Jofra Archer coming back (from injury) is huge. And Mark Wood is bowling at 90 miles per hour. So I think England have got the experience, but India will be a threat. If they can commit to an aggressive style, India are going to be a formidable force in home conditions,” he said.

India has only lost maybe 2 bilateral ODI series at home in the last 10 or so years. Appears as if Vaughan is going by that, ignoring that India in knockouts is a different team - unless facing Asian teams like BD (though it too is getting competitive), SL (a 50/50 game), & Pak (but it now looks confident of breaking its jinx), along w/ perennial chokers like SA or some team like Kenya. 

Edited by zen