Is current Indian team really better than SA team of the 90’s and 2000’s?

SA team never won any important championships and maybe it’s  nostalgia but I feel SA team of that era was much stronger relatively speaking (apples to apples) in comparison to the current Indian team.

Those SA teams used to own Australia many times outside of ICC tournaments.

If that team never won marquee ICC trophies, why are our expectations so high?

As some quoted Rahul Dravid, maybe we should be happy that we are consistent reaching knockouts or finals and lower our expectations  :dontknow:

1 minute ago, jusarrived said:

Better than 90s mainly cos of the bowling overall. Skill wise I think the batsmen are slightly better than 90s, but in the 2000s we had a better team for sure 

I think you are thinking 2010’s when their decline started. From about 1993-1994 to 2010 they were as good as Australia.

In fact they were the only SENA team that would compete on Indian/SC pitches too despite lacking decent spinners.

The 2014 to 2023 team does not need to be better than the 1990s or 2000s SA but better than its competition in its period!

I guess the comparison is because both teams did not win world titles despite being strong. 

Edited by zen
Just now, maniac said:

I think you are thinking 2010’s when their decline started. From about 1993-1994 to 2010 they were as good as Australia.

In fact they were the only SENA team that would compete on Indian/SC pitches too despite lacking decent spinners.

Lol I read the post wrong. I was comparing the Indian team, if you mean SA then no.

Overall SA had much better blowing attack  though skill wise the current Indian batting is not bad, had they been playing in 90s they would have been better longer format players with no influence of T20s ..so arguably batting indias slightly better, but with better bowling and ARs SA would still be a level above. I don't rate our current spin attack much, they would have struggled in 90s big time.

7 hours ago, figo6762 said:

Success of this team is doctored home pitches … I can’t imagine the type of turn that the likes of warne , Pat symcox , mustaq’s , murali, hell yeah even strang  would have gotten with this batting line .. 36 ao every game .. 

After oldies declined, pitch doctoring stooped to the lowest level. We didn't deserve to be in the final. England - Australia would have been a good contest. 

7 hours ago, figo6762 said:

Success of this team is doctored home pitches … I can’t imagine the type of turn that the likes of warne , Pat symcox , mustaq’s , murali, hell yeah even strang  would have gotten with this batting line .. 36 ao every game .. 

if you play this top 5 on current form vs strang, he can destroy them on turners.