ODI 2023 WC Predictions

zen

We will all the games except NZ at Dharamsala. 

Not gonna lie , that is some fine ass allottment of venues based on the opponent teams. :giggle:

Against England on a slow wicket in Lucknow , against Australia on a spin friendly Chepauk , playing weaker teams (qualifiers) on the pattas of Bangalore and Mumbai, and Bangladesh on a bouncy wicket in Pune. They really thought it through...ofcourse except the Kiwis who will routinely smash us on a swing friendly wicket. 

5 minutes ago, Norman said:

We will all the games except NZ at Dharamsala. 

Not gonna lie , that is some fine ass allottment of venues based on the opponent teams. :giggle:

Against England on a slow wicket in Lucknow , against Australia on a spin friendly Chepauk , playing weaker teams (qualifiers) on the pattas of Bangalore and Mumbai, and Bangladesh on a bouncy wicket in Pune. They really thought it through...ofcourse except the Kiwis who will routinely smash us on a swing friendly wicket. 

Yeah, the Kiwi match should have been in Pune and the Bangladesh one at Dharamshala. 

I'm a bit skeptical about Afghanistan at Delhi's crappy pitch. Rashid and Noor can run through our middle order.

The rest of it looks well thought through

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Tough to see us making SF.

On paper, Aus, Eng, Pak,RSA, NZ are stronger. Ind, BD, Lanka seem to be around the same level.

We still don't have a wicket keeper for ODIs. Is it going to be Rahul? Any news on his injury?

Or do they still have the time to bring back Kishan or Samson is a question

I really want them to try Jaiswal before the ODIs. If he clicks, that could throw open a wide range of options

Just now, bowl_out said:

We still don't have a wicket keeper for ODIs. Is it going to be Rahul? Any news on his injury?

Or do they still have the time to bring back Kishan or Samson is a question

I really want them to try Jaiswal before the ODIs. If he clicks, that could throw open a wide range of options

Jaiswal hopefully get to play in WI series. I have my doubts that team management would select him as he is probably in better form than oldies. 

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

On turners NZ will be equally dangerous. Our clowns can't play Santner, Sodhi, period. Meanwhile we'll feed them Chahal.

Good luck playing Zampa in Chepauk, Moeen/Radhid in Lucknow. Don't people realise how pathetic this lot is against spin?

Ideally, Kuldeep, Jadeja/Axar and Sundar should be our three spinners, with Siraj, Bumrah and Hardik completing the rest of the bowling.

Points table at the end of pool stage -

1. India

2. Australia

3. England

4. South Africa 

New Zealand will finally have a bad white ball tournament. And Paxtan will have their usual "shock" defeat against WI or Bangladesh and will lose to 3 out of above top 4 teams. They really don't have the spinners to challenge good sides and their batting is a poor man's version of India 2019..

12 hours ago, Norman said:

PS

Team management asks for slow pitches for 2023 WC

Edited by zen

Since the tournament is in Oct-Nov, a lot could depend on toss and dew. 

Ind v Aus at Chennai: A tricky game. Aus has a history of beating India in the opening game. It has done that in both 87 & 96 WC iirc. In 2011, Ind triumphed in the QF. Even in 83, 92, 99, 03, ..., you get the picture. 

Ind v Pak at A'bad: On paper, Ind would be ahead. 96 QF & 11 SF. However, law of averages may work for Pak. 

Ind v NZ at D'shala: It would depend on which team has a good day, toss, etc. 

Ind v Eng at L'now: People would expect India to do well here due to the pitch, but I won't be surprised if Eng do well here too as their big hitters may not allow the spinners to settle down, while Eng's bowlers can use the pitch too. 

Ind v SA at Kol: Kol is relatively a small ground so it would depend on which team's batting clicks. And the kind of form Klassen, Miller, etc, are in. 

To make it to the SF, Ind would need to play not well but very well! 

7 hours ago, zen said:

This a fun thread on predicting the winner of the India games! ... Get your crystal ball! 

361708.3.png

All predictions based on senior-dominated squad with less fresh blood (e.g., Chahal instead of kuldeep/bishnoi)

Loss vs Aus: Zampa, Maxi, and even Lyon (if selected) can boss Aus; Smith will score a gutsy 70-80

Narrow win vs Afg: their spinners will give a real scare

Loss vs Pak: expecting Barber and Rizwan to consolidate, while Fakker goes ballistic for a cameo; Shaheen will remove top order as always, barring maybe Brat

Narrow loss vs Ban: their spin quartet will choke us, and they have adequate batters to grind out victory

Big loss vs NZ: ThunderBoult and co will destroy top order

Loss vs Eng: they will put a huge score, and we will lose

Win vs qualifier in Mumnai

Win vs SA: SA will find a way to choke, and lose from a decent position

Win vs qualifier in Bengaluru

Briefly, I looked at some patterns (using my multi-dimensional methodology) and at this point (will get a clearer idea few weeks before or around the tourney), there appears to be a high chance of a first time champion. 

If so, potential semi finalists in random order: 

1st time champion potential 

Two from previous champions - Aus, Eng, Ind, Pak, SL, and WI. 

PS if only one 1st time champion potential makes it to SF, then that would likely signal that team as the favourite to win it. 

Interesting pre tournament signs! 

Edited by zen
20 minutes ago, zen said:

Briefly, I looked at some patterns (using my multi-dimensional methodology) and at this point (will get a clearer idea few weeks before or around the tourney), there appears to be a high chance of a first time champion. 

If so, potential semi finalists in random order: 

Two from previous champions - Aus, Eng, Ind, Pak, SL, and WI. 

PS if only one 1st time champion potential makes it to SF, then that would likely be the signal that team as the favourite to win it. 

Interesting pre tournament signs! 

I expect SFs to be 4 out of the following 6 if schedule permits: Eng, Pak, Aus, NZ [even though they are down-and-out, they will drag themselves to SFs], SL, Ind

Edited by Vijy

All the posters here are forgetting this is ODI's and not T20.

Our bowling will be fully exposed in ODI's.

Batting will do decent as KL Rahul keep wickets and they will pick Sundar/Axar as A/R with Pandya.

But our bowling without Bumrah and an aging Shami will be fully exposed as you need 10 overs.

It will be simply Indian Bowling vs. Opposition batting. Which means England and other teams with strong batting will chase any score under the dew with our bowling.