another terrible idea from the BJP-one nation ,one election

cowboysfan

2 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

this is so bad for so many reasons.India is a union of states.each state has their own problems.this hare brain scheme will completely make the states problems secondary to the national problems.India is not a homogeneous country and this idea will not work.

I see you have an opinion but what is the rationale behind opposing it. Under the new scheme are the voters also being forced to vote for the same party ? BJP won 2019 central elections while lost Orissa and Andhra in the state. In both 2014 and 2019 BJP got hammered in Delhi couple of months after central election. 

So I am not sure what your concern exactly is. 

Edited by ravishingravi

6 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

I see you have an opinion but what is the rationale behind opposing it. Under the new scheme are the voters also being forced to vote for the same party ? BJP won 2019 central elections while lost Orissa and Andhra in the state. In both 2014 and 2019 BJP got hammered in Delhi couple of months after central election. 

Exactly....this is an extremely progressive move to ensure that the ruling party can focus more on development.

Otherwise every year, some state election or the other happens.  It is a waste of precious governance time.

38 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

what happens if the state government loses the majority in the state in 2 years?will the new elections be held for 3 year only? isnt that a waste of time too.northern states may agree to this but the southern states will oppose this completely,

11 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

what happens if the state government loses the majority in the state in 2 years?will the new elections be held for 3 year only? isnt that a waste of time too.northern states may agree to this but the southern states will oppose this completely,

I think it will be twice in 5 years... meaning if state loses majority in 2 years , elections can happen in 6 months...

41 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

But that's no different from what could happen today. Anyway you are using exceptional scenarios to undermine the principle. And even those exceptional scenarios are fairly workable under this principle. 

It will be huge savings on spending by parties and taxpayers for organizing elections. Plus it can lead uninterrupted focussed tenure for all states which will asked for mandate once in 5 years and just one time. 

I am unable to see downside here. 

26 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

It will be huge savings on spending by parties and taxpayers for organizing elections. Plus it can lead uninterrupted focussed tenure for all states which will asked for mandate once in 5 years and just one time. 

There is nothing like " huge savings on spending by parties and taxpayers for organizing elections ".

There is an election economy. Vendors and contractors who faciliate rallies - all the campaign on the ground spending - it has an economy of its own and creates livelihood for many.

It is about losing previous governance time. 

5 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

There is nothing like " huge savings on spending by parties and taxpayers for organizing elections ".

There is an election economy. Vendors and contractors who faciliate rallies - all the campaign on the ground spending - it has an economy of its own and creates livelihood for many.

It is about losing previous governance time. 

If state and Lok Sabha elections are combined, there is will be synergies in number if campaigns for sure. You would pay the vendor for one event instead of two. Or something to that effect. 

7 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

If state and Lok Sabha elections are combined, there is will be synergies in number if campaigns for sure. You would pay the vendor for one event instead of two. Or something to that effect. 

Thats not how it works. Campaigning costs would not reduce much - it has very little to do "expenses and costs" as I keep saying.

The candidates for Lok Sabha ( MP ) and state legislative assemblies are all different (MLAs) .  They all require campaign of their own - which will anyway incur costs.

What is saved is time ....that can be routed to better governance.

6 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

Not seen any proposals yet, but people are opposing with no idea what it is. In Indian scenario, a concept of Election Day - Nov 8 (for USA) is good for organizing.. a lot of central and state machinery can coordinate. A proposal could be twice a year of such date. If states lose power in between, they can wait for max of 6 months of central rule or a SC appointed rule of some agreed bureaucracy . Why can’t it be debated? 

Edited by coffee_rules

This is a much needed reform. This country is always in election mode. We need to come out of it and focus on work. 

We need to first listen to the proposal. Idiots in congress don't even want to be in committee then later will crib no discussion happened. Anyways i am glad this is happening. Lets for a min assume BJP is bringing it because they are going to loss all state elections, isn't it still an idea worth considering ? We waster way to much money on elections every 6 months. 

6 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

This is a much needed reform. This country is always in election mode. We need to come out of it and focus on work. 

We need to first listen to the proposal. Idiots in congress don't even want to be in committee then later will crib no discussion happened. Anyways i am glad this is happening. Lets for a min assume BJP is bringing it because they are going to loss all state elections, isn't it still an idea worth considering ? We waster way to much money on elections every 6 months. 

It is needed to keep government honest. You don't want to be stuck with apathetic govt for 5 years, which is very likely in India.

31 minutes ago, Lord said:

It is needed to keep government honest. You don't want to be stuck with apathetic govt for 5 years, which is very likely in India.

Key elections 1 center and 28 states. So in a 5yr cycle 1 election every 2 month. None have any relation so How does it keep any govt honest. Same set of guys keep moving across country campaigning 

53 minutes ago, Lord said:

So can you cite with specific examples how state result influences centre's policies and vice versa. For example, how did Karnataka result kept BJP at centre honest and policy changes followed. 

2 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

So can you cite with specific examples how state result influences centre's policies and vice versa. For example, how did Karnataka result kept BJP at centre honest and policy changes followed. 

It does create pressure and allows the opposition (at center) to create perception that the party is failing. Congress is just terrible to seize thew opportunity.

BJP won state elections in many states before 2014 IIRC.

Now imagine if some terrible govt like Congress is unopposed for 5 years, it'll only mean disaster.