Which four teams would be Semi Finalists at the 2023 CWC ?

javier26

56 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Australia have a hole in their bowling and their batting - the overhange of previous memories is too strong in fans and even analysts.  

Australia is a weaker one day unit than South Africa.   No question about it.

They have the best top 3 in this cycle in Warner, Travis Head and Smith. And the way the lower order is set up , they have got to be considered a strong batting side .

The bowling is not the strongest but they are going extra batting heavy. 

And even if they are not the strongest in absolute terms, they can easily beat all of PAK, NZ, SL, AFG, BD , NED.   That's 6 wins and a semifinal spot .

15 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

They have the best top 3 in this cycle in Warner, Travis Head and Smith. And the way the lower order is set up , they have got to be considered a strong batting side .

The bowling is not the strongest but they are going extra batting heavy. 

And even if they are not the strongest in absolute terms, they can easily beat all of PAK, NZ, SL, AFG, BD , NED.   That's 6 wins and a semifinal spot .

Travis Head is out.  Having Warner and Smith is good, and Mitch Marsh and Maxwell + Stoinis is also good. But overall their batting unit has a strong whiff of "all or nothing".  On their day they can bash 380/400.  But they can also wobble and collapse.  

1 hour ago, dilliboy said:

There have been 12 previous editions of the WC. Each edition has had a different set of 4 semi finalists. So if the trend continues, my final 4 would be:

1. India

2. England

3. South Africa

4. Australia 

This is a good list - personally I think a subcon team can displace one of Eng/Aus.  

30 minutes ago, sandeep said:

This is a good list - personally I think a subcon team can displace one of Eng/Aus.  

Sri Lanka has major injuries and look quite weak, similar situation with Pakistan who might surprise but don't look like they have the bowling firepower without Naseem and their spinner are ordinary. I actually think Bangladesh might be the dark horses for a SF spot, depending on the pitches that they play in.

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Pak

NZ

SA

Ind/Eng/Aus

If Pak advances to SF, they would probably be the only semi-finalists with a non-existent spin attack.   We usually do not see a team advancing to SF with such a spin attack especially when the WC is held in the sub-continent.  But then who knows. 

6 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

If Pak advances to SF, they would probably be the only semi-finalists with a non-existent spin attack.   We usually do not see a team advancing to SF with such a spin attack especially when the WC is held in the sub-continent.  But then who knows. 

they will find some way to scrape through IMO

Can't believe I m saying this. It's likely that Aus would not be able to reach the SF this time (Probably for the 1st time in a WC).  Without T Head, their batting lacks the firepower.  Zampa is not a reliable spinner against top teams. And is useless with the bat. Gives me Chahal vibes.  They hv too many glaring loopholes.  Having said that, I would wait till the result of Aus vs SA game tomorrow to arrive at a solid conclusion.   

On 10/9/2023 at 1:00 PM, Vijy said:

Pak

NZ

SA

Ind/Eng/Aus

That would set the stage for an epic India vs Pakistan Final.

I think the entire country would be at a standstill, victory would not be just expected, it would be demanded. Blood will be spilled.

The pressure on both sides would be intense. I would stay up till 4am in Australia to watch it.

I also know I expect India to lose their first 3 or 4 wickets for very few runs as well. lol. :hysterical:

I know no one is bullish on Australia right now BUT  they came up against 2 teams that have either thrashed them in recent times (SA) or have competed very strongly against them(IND) and on wickets that suited their opponents too.   The rest of the teams - England , NZ, PAK actually don't match up well to Australia and OZ can easily beat 2 out of these 3 teams. 

I hope Chinnaswamy curator gives Australia a most favourable flattie pitch against PAK.  They can beat NZ and even England they can beat if they bowl first(Motera). Can still make semis .

2 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

I know no one is bullish on Australia right now BUT  they came up against 2 teams that have either thrashed them in recent times (SA) or have competed very strongly against them(IND) and on wickets that suited their opponents too.   The rest of the teams - England , NZ, PAK actually don't match up well to Australia and OZ can easily beat 2 out of these 3 teams. 

I hope Chinnaswamy curator gives Australia a most favourable flattie pitch against PAK.  They can beat NZ and even England they can beat if they bowl first(Motera). Can still make semis .

Aus has limited power batting at top (thanks to absence of Head), has selfish players in MO like Labu and a dwindling smith, and has virtually zero spin resources. Eng can crush them, and even Pak will run them close I think.

I do expect Aus to comfortably beat NZ though, since the latter enjoy getting pounded by the former.