India vs Pakistan | Pre match discussion

I think it's really crucial to nail the lineup vs Pakistan in this encounter. 

Pakistan are one of the slowest scoring teams vs off spin since last World Cup. Slower than the likes of NED and SL with a scoring rate of 4.5 odd in this World Cup cycle.

On the other hand, they are terrific against left arm spin.  Only England play left arm spin better than Pakistan. 

Jadeja's bowling record against Pakistan since Asia Cup 2014 has also been horrible. 

So, Ash should play ahead of Jadeja.

Also, this is one of those games where Hardik has to give us 10 because batting is especially light with Gill still recovering.

My lineup will be 

Ishan

Rohit

Kohli

Iyer

KL

Pandya

SKY

Ash

Shami

Bumrah

Kuldeep

Pandya can be used in short bursts of even 2 over spells to give him enough rest. 

Shami ahead of Siraj because Siraj seems a bit out of rhythm and there's no swing in Amdavad. 

Edited by Nikhil_cric
31 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

I think it's really crucial to nail the lineup vs Pakistan in this encounter. 

Pakistan are one of the slowest scoring teams vs off spin since last World Cup. Slower than the likes of NED and SL with a scoring rate of 4.5 odd in this World Cup cycle.

On the other hand, they are terrific against left arm spin.  Only England play left arm spin better than Pakistan. 

Jadeja's bowling record against Pakistan since Asia Cup 2014 has also been horrible. 

So, Ash should play ahead of Jadeja.

Also, this is one of those games where Hardik has to give us 10 because batting is especially light with Gill still recovering.

My lineup will be 

Ishan

Rohit

Kohli

Iyer

KL

Pandya

SKY

Ash

Shami

Bumrah

Kuldeep

Pandya can be used in short bursts of even 2 over spells to give him enough rest. 

Shami ahead of Siraj because Siraj seems a bit out of rhythm and there's no swing in Amdavad. 

Risky going in with just 5 bowlers, but we need plenty of batsmen.

Our open 3 to 4 batters can be walking wickets vs Pakistan pace attack.

Its upsetting that Pak team which looked so well settled just a month ago and some were giving slight edge over India, is in a big mess. Their top bowler ( Afridi ) has turned into a trundler,  bowling at 130-132 with no swing and no control. Naseem Shah's replacement is a club level bowler . No genuine spinner in the team . Opening pair is struggling to give double digit stand . 

Indian team, on the other hand looks like has resolved all its issues and checking all the dots . Inform and attacking openers, sold middle order, fast bowling all rounder, wonderful opening bowler ( if they play Shami over Siraj ) and and very good wicket taking spinners . I would give 70-30 edge to India 

39 minutes ago, BanningHindu said:

There are voices to boycott this cricket match. From some Soldiers to some hardcore ruling party supporters, all are calling for it- on twitter. Decide for yourself if you would like to watch this drama.

BJP & Jay Shah don't care & they are trying to mark it as a grand occasion. 

Heard PCB cheif might be coming as well. 

If not for coming elections even Shahbaz would be here. 

I will only watch cricket...  Not that tamasha. 

41 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

BJP & Jay Shah don't care & they are trying to mark it as a grand occasion. 

Heard PCB cheif might be coming as well. 

If not for coming elections even Shahbaz would be here. 

I will only watch cricket...  Not that tamasha. 

Red carpet treatment for PCT, PCB....all this tamasha just for them (as if other teams don't exist). But then their supporters have a problem if a few spectators support Pak in a neutral game. 

9 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Red carpet treatment for PCT, PCB....all this tamasha just for them (as if other teams don't exist). But then their supporters have a problem if a few spectators support Pak in a neutral game. 

One staunch supporter in other thread said while this is a poor call from Jay Shah & BJP in freakin Gujarat...  He will forgive them. 

No reason to take these Party fans seriously.  Their loyalty first comes to Party then nation. 

19 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Shami does well in IPL at the same ground. No Ashwin please. 

Yeah Pakistani Right handers played DDS & Asalanka very easily.   Ahmedabad doesn't turns much.  I guess it will be either Shardul or Shami. 

Always go full pace against Pakistani team in a big game. 

Shafique probably has weakness against short ball...  Also Shakeel is a very short batter & likes of Pandya should test him with bouncers at head height. 

Edited by Lone Wolf
29 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Yeah Pakistani Right handers played DDS & Asalanka very easily.   Ahmedabad doesn't turns much.  I guess it will be either Shardul or Shami. 

Always go full pace against Pakistani team in a big game. 

Shafique probably has weakness against short ball...  Also Shakeel is a very short batter & likes of Pandya should test him with bouncers at head height. 

Ahmedabad has turned more than any World Cup venue so far. 

1/1 Continue watching after the ad Visit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

There is plenty of reason to include Ashwin here.  Like I said, they don't play off spin well. They play SLA's very easily. And Jadeja has a poor record against them since 2014. If we are hell bent on taking Ash to the World Cup, then its important to play him against a side which he is well matched up against.

Edited by Nikhil_cric
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Shami does well in IPL at the same ground. No Ashwin please. 

Don't disagree, but where should Ashwin play next?

The only real spin track was Chennai and we don't play there anymore.

Makes it seem like he was just included for the Australia game.

27 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Ahmedabad has turned more than any World Cup venue so far. 

1/1 Continue watching after the ad Visit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

There is plenty of reason to include Ashwin here.  Like I said, they don't play off spin well. They play SLA's very easily. And Jadeja has a poor record against them since 2014. If we are hell bent on taking Ash to the World Cup, then its important to play him against a side which he is well matched up against.

Babar has in the past struggled against Maharaj across formats...  Shafique in Test Cricket against left arm spin too.  He uses his feet nicely against off spin. 

Rizwan is a compulsive sweeper..  So ball turning in to him makes him easy to use slog sweep. 

Data can be flattering at times...  What I am saying this new look Pak top & lower middle order is pretty good against off spin. 

Babar can struggle to any spinner...  That's another matter. 

13 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Babar has in the past struggled against Maharaj across formats...  Shafique in Test Cricket against left arm spin too.  He uses his feet nicely against off spin. 

Rizwan is a compulsive sweeper..  So ball turning in to him makes him easy to use slog sweep. 

Data can be flattering at times...  What I am saying this new look Pak top & lower middle order is pretty good against off spin. 

Babar can struggle to any spinner...  That's another matter. 

Aryan Dutt was making them struggle.   Also, Ash can turn it both ways unlike other offies. Keshav Maharaj and Mitchell Santner are very unique SLA's. Maharaj gives it a big rip and is quite accurate and Santner's changes of pace are very difficult to pick and line up as England found out.  

I'm not sure Jadeja varies his pace at all.  Also, he has a terrible record against Pakistan since 2014. Ash had one bad match - CT 2017 final. Even then, he wasn't as bad as Jadeja.