How will this WC shape up legacy of Rahul Dravid?

10 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Created this thread early to see if his critics are still holding ground. Those who were giving expert opinions and making everything sound so obvious, basically experts of ICF, whether they will stick to their view later also or not.

Nothing has changed  as far as Dravid is concerned, they stumbled upon  Shami after Pandya's injury.

Rohit opting to go for fast start is the only difference but where was this Rohit in t20 semis and world cup.

10 minutes ago, IndiaWC8311 said:

I am not going to engage since you're clearly attempting to troll. MSD at #1 is a no-brainer.

Just by being non performing captain does not make him number 1 .

I don't know in what world Dhoni has contibuted the most for Indian cricket.

Edited by putrevus
3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Just by being non performing captain does make him number 1 .

I don't know in what world Dhoni has contibuted the most for Indian cricket.

I'll engage a bit to educate you

1. Won T20 WC and ODI WC and other major trophies - greatest ever captain

2. Took India to top across all formats

3. Cultural reset - Booted out oldies who were non-performing and abolished "Senior Culture"

4. Trained, backed, coached and gave a platform to next generation of Indians like Kohli, Jadeja and Rohit

5. If not for MSD backing, India would have zero chance at 2023 WC as there would have been no Rohit and Sir Jaddu

6. 5 IPL titles and made IPL a global brand which allowed youngsters like Gill, Yadav etc to come through and shine

7. #1 all time Indian ODI cricketer (batting + keeping considered)

8. Greatest ever finisher and always available - transformed India's fitness - remember we used to have guys like ramesh Powar earlier

9. Always out of the limelight on and off the field - true role model and every current cricketer looks up to him

10. Ingrained new mantras in Indian cricket - Focus on controllables and the process and results will come

31 minutes ago, IndiaWC8311 said:

3. Cultural reset - Booted out oldies who were non-performing and abolished "Senior Culture"

4. Trained, backed, coached and gave a platform to next generation of Indians like Kohli, Jadeja and Rohit

5. If not for MSD backing, India would have zero chance at 2023 WC as there would have been no Rohit and Sir Jaddu

6. 5 IPL titles and made IPL a global brand which allowed youngsters like Gill, Yadav etc to come through and shine

8. Greatest ever finisher and always available - transformed India's fitness - remember we used to have guys like ramesh Powar earlier

9. Always out of the limelight on and off the field - true role model and every current cricketer looks up to him

10. Ingrained new mantras in Indian cricket - Focus on controllables and the process and results will come

I don't have time today to educate you today on his negative impact on Indian cricket and how he set Indian cricket decade back with his idiotic captaincy especially in test cricket.

Looks like you need lot of education so we will do it some other time.

I had respond as i found it funny that someone can even consider Dhoni as number one figure in Indian cricket.

2 hours ago, IndiaWC8311 said:

Abolished senior culture by attaching himself to the team like a leach until 40 y.o :bow: Only thalasons can come up with these beauties 

I want to eat crow biriyani served by Rahul Dravid.

I have been one of the critics who has "opined" (gawd I hate that word) that he can be a mentor to young, upcoming cricketers who will defer to him, but would not be someone who can hold established superstars accountable. And up until the Asia Cup, it seemed to be the case.

But, no one - I repeat no one - will be happier than me if this opinion of mine turned out to be utterly and totally incorrect 6 days from now.

3 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

I want to eat crow biriyani served by Rahul Dravid.

I have been one of the critics who has "opined" (gawd I hate that word) that he can be a mentor to young, upcoming cricketers who will defer to him, but would not be someone who can hold established superstars accountable. And up until the Asia Cup, it seemed to be the case.

But, no one - I repeat no one - will be happier than me if this opinion of mine turned out to be utterly and totally incorrect 6 days from now.

No need to eat crow biriyani. Some of the moves were bizarre. Mukesh kumar playing all the formats. Unadkat picked for LOI. Avesh khan, Bhuvi.  Bumrah's return has really saved us.  Also Kohli found his form again. Iyer and Rahul returned. Many things fell in place for us.

10 hours ago, putrevus said:

I don't have time today to educate you today on his negative impact on Indian cricket and how he set Indian cricket decade back with his idiotic captaincy especially in test cricket.

Looks like you need lot of education so we will do it some other time.

I had respond as i found it funny that someone can even consider Dhoni as number one figure in Indian cricket.

IPL generation doesnt know how low we plumbed during the match fixing saga in the year 2000 and  how much Ganguly & Dravid did to raise Indian cricket. Dravid even went to the extent of chasing 17 consecutive times to improve our chasing temperament. Our test record vastly improved in the 2000s and Dhoni era had it again plunging in 2010

14 minutes ago, diga said:

IPL generation doesnt know how low we plumbed during the match fixing saga in the year 2000 and  how much Ganguly & Dravid did to raise Indian cricket. Dravid even went to the extent of chasing 17 consecutive times to improve our chasing temperament. Our test record vastly improved in the 2000s and Dhoni era had it again plunging in 2010

And Sachin generation doesn't know before how great India were on overseas tours till 1986 due to spin quartet.Won in Newzealand 1968-69,Westindies 1971,England 1971 and 1986 and had 3 great tours in Australia.I will give credit to Navab Pataudi and Ajit Wadekar.

Just now, Cloud9 said:

And Sachin generation doesn't know before how great India were on overseas tours till 1986 due to spin quartet.Won in Newzealand 1968-69,Westindies 1971,England 1971 and 1986 and had 3 great tours in Australia.I will give credit to Navab Pataudi and Ajit Wadekar.

Not belittling the achievements of the greats of 70s.. But our success in cricket was few during those years and we consistently become a world beating force in 2000s

On 11/12/2023 at 11:42 PM, IndiaWC8311 said:

If India win the WC, contributions to Indian cricket and legacy:

1. MSD

2. Kohli

3. Dravid

4. Rohit

5. Ashwin 

6. Sachin

Some may question Ashwin but 2 X world cup winner plus GOAT test match winner for Indian cricket

In terms of legacy value it should be Sachin, then MSD. Then the rest. 

17 hours ago, Strangering said:

There won't be any coaching legacy unless he wins it all. I can't even remember who the coaches were in 2015 and 2019. However, I clearly remember who the coach was in 2011. 

Opened this thread way too early.

Bevda and bevda

In this year alone, we dismissed a team under 100 four times, beaten the earliest biggest margin of victory twice. In this World Cup alone, beating everyone by big margins at all different venues is freak. The beat World Cup campaign after Australia 2003-7. And I was pretty much anticipating it. (Without Pant and Pandya, two irreplaceable players). Is not it a legacy already?

On 11/13/2023 at 7:56 AM, Frustrated said:

Last 3 ODI WCs, we made it to semis & beyond (2011 WC we won).  This time also we hv reached SF.  Losing it from here would mean we achieved nothing more. Only thing that matters is Winning the title.  

One step at a time