Was ponting better than sachin in odis?

King6

5 minutes ago, AKane said:

Ponting was part of 3 WC winning teams in 1999, 2003, 2007 incl a MoM role in 2003.

Sachin was part of a WC winning team at home in India in 2011 after coming up empty handed in 1992, 1996, 1999, 2003 and 2007.

Does this matter?

Topic is sachin vs ponting.. Not ind vs aus

26 minutes ago, Number said:

vs NZ - Sachin 46 - Ponting 45

vs Pak - Sachin  40 - Ponting 36

Vs SA - Sachin 36 - Ponting 39

vs SL - Sachin 43 - Ponting 42

vs Eng - Sachin 44 - Ponting 48

vs WI - Sachin 52 - Ponting 35

In away

vs NZ - Sachin 39 - Ponting 49

vs Pak - Sachin 37  - Ponting 97

Vs SA - Sachin 25 - Ponting 44

vs SL - Sachin 41 - Ponting 45

vs Eng - Sachin 40 - Ponting 44

vs WI - Sachin 54 - Ponting 27

vs aus - Sachin 31   vs Ind - ponting 47

Edited by King6
4 hours ago, King6 said:

I am not asking about team achievements.. Who is better odi batsman in these two? 

This is a team game, you are supposed to play for the team results. Rest is all noise. For some of us. For some 49 hundreds and 50 hundreds matter. Different strokes for different folks.

This topics has created a lot of ICF debates and fights back in 2007-2013.

There is no short answer to this topic. Not sure I have energy to write a big post on this right now but I will take a stab anyway. It is subjective to how you look at it as. Statistically, Tendulkar failed in both the wc finals he played - 03 and 2011 and Ponting undoubtedly played innings of his life in WC03 final.

But did Punter ever face enough pressure as Tendulkar did so his team could qualify for semis or super six stages of the world cups?

Contrary to what a lot of people think, many do believe every game in the world cup is a pressure game when your team has lost few games and you need to qualify for super six stage or quarter finals or semis in a world cup. Sachin faced the pressure when in 1996 he was now not a a teenager anymore but a young adult whom people relied upon to help India reach quarter finals. Or 1999 when he would have set expectations so high after his desert storm that he were to help India reach super six stage. There was that burden. Comes in year 2003, Indian team reaches South Africa to face a shambolic defeat to the eventual winners in a group game and barely won against Netherlands and were now facing arguably Pakistan’s best and most hyped ODI bowling attack. Losing this game could mean India were very much borderline out of the world cup. Tendulkar plays his greatest ODI knock for me under pressure to help India cross the line with some help of his other teammates.  This pressure is right up there with pressure of doing well in any knock out game. He does it again in 2011 against same opponents albeit after being given few chances, but as they save fortune and luck comes to the brave and the guy who shows longevity. Tendulkar earned it for the country. India wins the world cup that same weekend. 

Ponting was clutch, a champion bat who did not get as much applauds from us Indians when he was playing as he was Tendulakar’s contemporary and was looked as an evil opponent. But he was a a champion. I would not compare the two as they both experienced different kind of pressure which can never be compared.

Edited by Cricketics

The reality is Tendulkar post tennis elbow was no where close to Ponting.

You can even compare pre and post tennis elbow and you will see stats.

Posting had one key attribute Sachin did not.

He was cunning, shrewd and someone who made most of his talents and had an attitude to win at all costs. This was through extreme focus and attention to every single detail.

Tendulkar did not have this in him post tennis elbow.

This is why Indian fans will even rate a Lara or Sangakkara for example equal to Sachin but never Ponting.

He was an apex predator. Never left anything on the table for opposition.

There's no one like him since. Travis Head seems closest.

3 hours ago, Cricketics said:

This topics has created a lot of ICF debates and fights back in 2007-2013.

There is no short answer to this topic. Not sure I have energy to write a big post on this right now but I will take a stab anyway. It is subjective to how you look at it as. Statistically, Tendulkar failed in both the wc finals he played - 03 and 2011 and Ponting undoubtedly played innings of his life in WC03 final.

But did Punter ever face enough pressure as Tendulkar did so his team could qualify for semis or super six stages of the world cups?

Contrary to what a lot of people think, many do believe every game in the world cup is a pressure game when your team has lost few games and you need to qualify for super six stage or quarter finals or semis in a world cup. Sachin faced the pressure when in 1996 he was now not a a teenager anymore but a young adult whom people relied upon to help India reach quarter finals. Or 1999 when he would have set expectations so high after his desert storm that he were to help India reach super six stage. There was that burden. Comes in year 2003, Indian team reaches South Africa to face a shambolic defeat to the eventual winners in a group game and barely won against Netherlands and were now facing arguably Pakistan’s best and most hyped ODI bowling attack. Losing this game could mean India were very much borderline out of the world cup. Tendulkar plays his greatest ODI knock for me under pressure to help India cross the line with some help of his other teammates.  This pressure is right up there with pressure of doing well in any knock out game. He does it again in 2011 against same opponents albeit after being given few chances, but as they save fortune and luck comes to the brave and the guy who shows longevity. Tendulkar earned it for the country. India wins the world cup that same weekend. 

Ponting was clutch, a champion bat who did not get as much applauds from us Indians when he was playing as he was Tendulakar’s contemporary and was looked as an evil opponent. But he was a a champion. I would not compare the two as they both experienced different kind of pressure which can never be compared.

wc performances n big match performances aside in 2000s decade ponting dominated in both tests n odis.. In 90s Sachin >> ponting.. In 2000s ponting > Sachin.. 

IMG_20231122_095533.jpg

IMG_20231122_095501.jpg

5 hours ago, AKane said:

This is a team game, you are supposed to play for the team results. Rest is all noise. For some of us. For some 49 hundreds and 50 hundreds matter. Different strokes for different folks.

Then gambhir > any ind batsman in lois