Rohit Sharma told BCCI officials and selectors, 'If you want to pick me for T20 World Cup, tell me now': Report

Rohit Sharma told BCCI officials and selectors, 'If you want to pick me for T20 World Cup, tell me now': Report

Rohit reportedly asked the BCCI top officials and the selectors if they wanted him to be a part of the upcoming T20 World Cup in the West Indies and the USA.

Top BCCI officials recently had a marathon meeting with India captain Rohit Sharma, head coach Rahul Dravid and the selection committee to discuss various things about Indian cricket. Among the top agendas was the review of India's ODI World Cup campaign. They ended up as the runners-up after losing the final to Australia. BCCI secretary Jay Shah, vice president Rajeev Shukla, and treasurer Ashish Shelar also wanted to know the roadmap of Indian cricket going ahead, especially considering the fact the T20 World Cup is just six months away. The ODI, T20I and Test squads for the South Africa tour were also picked during the meeting.

CRICKET-WORLDCUP-IND-AUS--688_1701783021

India captain Rohit Sharma(REUTERS)

Rohit, who joined the meeting held in New Delhi, via a zoom call as he was in London at that time, enjoying quality time with his family after a gruelling few months of non-stop cricket, reportedly asked the top BCCI officials and the selectors if they wanted him to be a part of the upcoming T20 World Cup in the West Indies and the USA. An official present in the meeting narrated the conversation between Rohit and the others, as reported by Dainik Jagran.

Rohit asked the officials present and the Ajit Agarkar-led selection committee if they saw him playing in the T20 World Cup. 'If you want to select me for the T20 World Cup then tell me now how to go about it,' said Rohit in the meeting according to the official, as reported in the Hindi daily.

The officials present, coach Dravid and the selectors reportedly agreed unanimously that Rohit is the right man to lead the team's charge in the T20 World Cup. The report added that the selectors, in fact, wanted Rohit to take charge of the T20I side from the South Africa tour itself but the veteran opener requested a break from the entire white-ball leg.

The selectors agreed to that and decided to continue with Suryakumar Yadav as captain for the three-match ODI series starting December 10. KL Rahul, on the other hand, was handed over the captaincy for the ODI squad.

Rohit will return as captain in the two-match Test series that is slated to begin on December 26.

What about Hardik Pandya?

Notably, Rohit has not played a single T20I since the World Cup held in Australia in 2022. After India lost in the semi-final of that tournament to England, Rohit and Virat Kohli decided to take a break from the shortest format. The captaincy for the India T20I side was given to Hardik Pandya.

It should be mentioned, that the BCCI never announced Pandya as the captain of India's T20I side officially nor was anything mentioned about Rohit and Kohli's future in this format. The dynamic batters decide to skip T20Is for the last year or so to concentrate on the ODI World Cup. Now that it is out of the way, there is no reason to believe they would not be considered for T20I selection.

Pandya's ankle injury which he sustained during an ODI World Cup group-stage match against Bangladesh, is also believed to have played a role in the selectors going back to Rohit. The all-rounder was ruled out of the World Cup, the home series against Australia and the entire South Africa tour. With no timeline for his return and his injury-prone nature, considering him as a long-term captain in any format has become difficult.

A young Indian side led by Suryakumar beat Australia 4-1 in the recently concluded T20I series. Most members of that side have been retained for the South Africa tour. India have only six more T20Is scheduled before the World Cup. Therefore, the form of those in reckoning in the first half of the IPL is likely to play a crucial role in selection.

Look at the entitlement of these shameless clowns. Lost a home world cup final in the most humiliating way possible, this after losing the WTC final against the same opponent same year. Any self respecting person would retire on his/her own, but not this inept guy. No accountability in Indian cricket.

Edited by Gollum
3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Look at the entitlement of these shameless clowns. Lost a home world cup final in the most humiliating way possible, this after losing the WTC final against the same opponent same year. Any self respecting person would retire on his/her own, but not this inept guy. No accountability in Indian cricket.

Vada Pav is more concerned about retaining his PR and IPL brand value.  Announcing retirement from any form of white ball cricket would certainly decrease that.   

Lol, era of the part time indian cricketer. So even if Gaikwad and Jaiswal both dominate in the in the next T20Is they get,  rohit is still guranteed a spot in the 11? even though rohits form in t20Is is terrible? and rohit is free to take of time off months before a world cup rather then attempt to help build a team he is captaining? No wonder Australians and English are dominating world cups. should not be surprising to anyone.

8 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

God they will screw one more final before leaving.

You are right they will screw up.

I don't agree with the "one more final" part.

Why only one? Already the media has started the campaign in some cases saying Kohli can play in the 2031 final!! Chamchas like Warner doing the yapping....

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket/story/virat-kohli-2031-world-cup-retirement-david-warner-future-fan-2469530-2023-11-30

So the 2027 is already penciled in. It will definitely be more than one.

Rohit Sharma who has done nothing in last 5 editions of wt20 is 37, Journeyman Sky who is 34, Pandya who is always injured- no surety about his role. All three are pathetic choices for captain. Rohit should gracefully retire and stop doing this bakchowdi of "tell me now" after he has lost 2 ICC tournaments against Same side, one at home and one at neutral venue. He gave good starts thats what openers are supposed to do, specially 37 yr old experienced captain. That was bare minimum we expected from him, usko chane ke zad pe chadane ki zaroorat nahi hai, his shot and his tactics costed us WC, move on from him, Kohli and KL. Wasn't that speculated after we lost wt20 SF Last year and Pandu was given charge.

We can afford to play only 1 out of the triputi of Kohli, Rohit and KL if they want experience and that one guy should be Kohli only. Kohli is somewhat needed in this batting line up filled with bunch of hacks like Kishan,Sky, Pandu,Jaddu.

Other 2 are certified losers in wt20 who started that breach of streak against Pakistan by being sore losers and incompetent against Shaheen. Rohit as opener has done more harm than good in wt20. His few good innings in wt20 came good only as Middle order bat and those were way back in 2007 and 2010 wt20. KLR - the mental midget should be thrown out of the T20 set up after his outing in wt20 2022. I know this won't happen though, both losers will crawl their way back into squad after smashing IPL trundlers.

Kohli will work on those sluggish WI pitches, when 160-170 is par, Kohli is still the best in the world, against any bowling attack. Also tremendous WT20 credentials, and 2 of the greatest ever knocks in this format (2016 Mohali and 2022 MCG), Rohit and Kela don't deserve a look in. 

By merit, Jaiswal/Gill/Kohli should be our top 3. 

15 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Kohli will work on those sluggish WI pitches, when 160-170 is par, Kohli is still the best in the world, against any bowling attack. Also tremendous WT20 credentials, and 2 of the greatest ever knocks in this format (2016 Mohali and 2022 MCG), Rohit and Kela don't deserve a look in. 

By merit, Jaiswal/Gill/Kohli should be our top 3. 

Kohli isn't going anywhere until he himself decides enough is enough. The day selectors get the stones to drop people like Dhoni and Kohli from the team and force them to retire will be a red letter one. 

2 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

Kohli isn't going anywhere until he himself decides enough is enough. The day selectors get the stones to drop people like Dhoni and Kohli from the team and force them to retire will be a red letter one. 

Anyway I don't mind Kohli continuing in T20s, that's his best format and no one in India comes close to replacing him. He will walk into every single T20 XI in the world, even Eng and Aus.

However he deserved to be dropped in tests a year ago.