RANJI TROPHY |2023/24|

Suhaan

59 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Abey Kuruvilla was there, he was freakishly tall and used to bowl 120-130...didn't succeed much.

Venkatesh Prasad's stats are also mediocre at best. Though he was a containing bowler thereby giving a perfect foil to Srinath who was quick, pick more wickets but also can go for runs.

Kuruvilla was picked in 1997 after he lost hope and lost pace.

He was surely Fast-medium in the 1989 to 1994 period. 

21 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Kuruvilla was picked in 1997 after he lost hope and lost pace.

He was surely Fast-medium in the 1989 to 1994 period. 

Yeah, he was introduced late at age of 29. 

Considering how the age was skewed in that era he must be atleast 32-33 in real.

My point was that at 120-130 pace, even freakishly tall bowlers will struggle, unless they have went through the rigors of Cricket over the years, which made them smart enough to use their other skills.

Walsh & Ambrose are the prime examples, they were definitely 120-130 in their last years (Ambrose little more quick), but since they've learned all skills courtesy of their vast experience when they were young and quicker, they were able to compensate for the decline in pace.

So even tall bowlers should atleast be able to clock 135-137 as their upper limit when they're young...with experience they can overcome the loss of pace, but now when they're new to the scene.

9 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Yeah, he was introduced late at age of 29. 

Considering how the age was skewed in that era he must be atleast 32-33 in real.

My point was that at 120-130 pace, even freakishly tall bowlers will struggle, unless they have went through the rigors of Cricket over the years, which made them smart enough to use their other skills.

Walsh & Ambrose are the prime examples, they were definitely 120-130 in their last years (Ambrose little more quick), but since they've learned all skills courtesy of their vast experience when they were young and quicker, they were able to compensate for the decline in pace.

So even tall bowlers should atleast be able to clock 135-137 as their upper limit when they're young...with experience they can overcome the loss of pace, but now when they're new to the scene.

Agree.

Infact I prefer all young quicks to clock atleast 142 k / 143 k as top speeds, even if they are freakishly tall, because they may lose pace after a niggle or an injury. 

On 3/7/2024 at 4:05 AM, express bowling said:

Agree.

Infact I prefer all young quicks to clock atleast 142 k / 143 k as top speeds, even if they are freakishly tall, because they may lose pace after a niggle or an injury. 

saranu should work on increasing his peak pace to at least 140.

20 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Although it was a great innings in SFs more so because we went past the SF hurdle after long long time in WCs

But that was a 400+ wicket,NZ too went at it  hammer and tongs

I rate it highly because generally India is happy to score 330-350 on such wickets, he gave the impetus to take it a notch higher. Kohli played a selfish knock there and our mindset is always safety first. Our complacency/meekness and it being a SF, I am sure many Indian players that day would have happily taken a below par total for that pitch. 

Had we scored 350 that match would have turned out like Ind vs Lanka in 2017 Champions Trophy. Iyer took it to 20-30 runs above par which gave the cushion for our poor bowling and fielding performance that day. His contribution was almost as important as Shami's and Shami bowled one of the greatest spells in WC history.

18 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I rate it highly because generally India is happy to score 330-350 on such wickets, he gave the impetus to take it a notch higher. Kohli played a selfish knock there and our mindset is always safety first. Our complacency/meekness and it being a SF, I am sure many Indian players that day would have happily taken a below par total for that pitch. 

Had we scored 350 that match would have turned out like Ind vs Lanka in 2017 Champions Trophy. Iyer took it to 20-30 runs above par which gave the cushion for our poor bowling and fielding performance that day. His contribution was almost as important as Shami's and Shami bowled one of the greatest spells in WC history.

Yes,on that impetus parameter it was  great innings but we are not talking about it here

we cannot play people based on their temperament alone,he was supported all through WC much like Siraj

Mind you ,of all people Kela's late flourish with the bat also catapulted our score

He has been supported here as well but didn't have the returns

36 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Yes,on that impetus parameter it was  great innings but we are not talking about it here

we cannot play people based on their temperament alone,he was supported all through WC much like Siraj

Mind you ,of all people Kela's late flourish with the bat also catapulted our score

He has been supported here as well but didn't have the returns

He has been rightly dropped. I fully support that decision.

In fact he should also be dropped from ODIs because next WC is in RSA. Horses for courses.

• The topic was unpinned