Devdutt Padikkal vs Rajat Patidar for #3?

Just now, vvvslaxman said:

South doesn't mean just TN. We have karnataka, andhra,  hyderabad, Kerala as well. We can't summarily discard players based on region. 

that's why I asked who is there from all of south? I am aware what states are there. I grew up primarily in S. India (albeit long ago)

p.s. I listed padikkal, who is not from TN.

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

that's why I asked who is there from all of south? I am aware what states are there. I grew up primarily in S. India (albeit long ago)

p.s. I listed padikkal, who is not from TN.

Rohan from Kerala is prospect. Aparatjih has made a lot of runs and he can bowl too.  There might be someone new coming up in the near future. We cannot decide we should pick only Gujjus and northies. That is a recipe for disaster. Sundar did not play first class cricket for 4 years when he was picked for Gabba test. He surprisingly performed better than expected. Sometimes stats are not everything.

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Rohan from Kerala is prospect. Aparatjih has made a lot of runs and he can bowl too.  There might be someone new coming up in the near future. We cannot decide we should pick only Gujjus and northies. That is a recipe for disaster. Sundar did not play first class cricket for 4 years when he was picked for Gabba test. He surprisingly performed better than expected. Sometimes stats are not everything.

Baba aparajith has a terrible FC record, and is too slow in LOIs. Kunnumal is a 1-season wonder. look at his debut season vs next season.

only batter from south that I do want to see more of is indrajit

Just now, Vijy said:

Baba aparajith has a terrible FC record, and is too slow in LOIs. Kunnumal is a 1-season wonder. look at his debut season vs next season.

only batter from south that I do want to see more of is indrajit

We can't keep on dismissing players based on our own perception. You still have to see them. Otherwise we will end up with guys like Patidar who was rated after his 150 solo effort. Only after seeing him against journey man off spinners we could find how deceptive these India A scores, domestic scores can be. 

Just now, vvvslaxman said:

We can't keep on dismissing players based on our own perception. You still have to see them. Otherwise we will end up with guys like Patidar who was rated after his 150 solo effort. Only after seeing him against journey man off spinners we could find how deceptive these India A scores, domestic scores can be. 

I wrote about indrajit years ago on ICF. even wrote about him recently. I am all for giving multi-season performers with established and desirable skill sets a chance. not the 1-season wonders (e.g., kunnummal, even paul to an extent) or the IPL stars

4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I wrote about indrajit years ago on ICF. even wrote about him recently. I am all for giving multi-season performers with established and desirable skill sets a chance. not the 1-season wonders (e.g., kunnummal, even paul to an extent) or the IPL stars

So are Jurel, Gill, Jaiswal. They haven't played a lot of domestic games. Sometimes you don't need several seasons. 

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

So are Jurel, Gill, Jaiswal. They haven't played a lot of domestic games. Sometimes you don't need several seasons. 

I don't care much for Gill, that plonker. I have written critically of him too, not just of S. Indian players.

Jurel looks great, but these are early days, and I reserve judgement for now. Jaiswal's case is different, he did very well in List A, then in two back-to-back Ranji seasons, did well in zonal FC tourneys, and also IPL. it's a diverse body of work

Edited by Vijy
11 hours ago, Adamant said:

Both of them are not good enough for international cricket.

I have seen Paddikal and I know a squealer when i see one.

Also, selectors should look more towards mumbai/Gujarat and North India, modern South Indian cricketers often flatter to deceive and are usually very timid.

There are no upcoming talented youngsters from the south, all of them are pretty mediocre, good enough just for that phony league IPL.

Agree on Tamil cricketers. They tend to be timid, must be due to their inferiority complex. Other south states have produced some feisty cricketers - Kumble, Dravid, Laxman etc.

It's important to not club Tamils with other south states - not just in cricket, rather every other metric. 

2 hours ago, Jamadagni said:

Agree on Tamil cricketers. They tend to be timid, must be due to their inferiority complex. Other south states have produced some feisty cricketers - Kumble, Dravid, Laxman etc.

It's important to not club Tamils with other south states - not just in cricket, rather every other metric. 

Ashwin is tamil. He has done well. Why would tamils have inferiority complex ? If anything i thoughts its the opposite which has caused issues for them

Sundar is not timid either. He tonked peak cummins like he is a club bowler. And then tonked anderson in india too. 

Never pick karnataka players. All weak timid players mostly since srinath retired. 

Edited by Kron
49 minutes ago, Kron said:

Ashwin is tamil. He has done well. Why would tamils have inferiority complex ? If anything i thoughts its the opposite which has caused issues for them

Sundar is not timid either. He tonked peak cummins like he is a club bowler. And then tonked anderson in india too. 

Never pick karnataka players. All weak timid players mostly since srinath retired. 

On the outside, it may look like they are displaying some kind of superiority over their language and culture. But if you analyze it deeply, all this stems from their insecurity over their darker complexion. Tamil jingoism is kind of coping mechanism for them for their insecurities. 

As for Karnataka and other south players, it's just that there haven't been many talented players since 2000 with the exception of KL Rahul. I've already given examples - Kumble, Dravid, Laxman. They're 3 of the biggest match winners for India in test cricket.

Btw, Ashwin is a brahmin, whom Tamil nationalists hate too (again due to the same reason as mentioned above - Tamil brahmins tend to be fairer than the average Tamilian).

Edited by Jamadagni
48 minutes ago, Kron said:

Srikanth was quite brave in his time,TN cricketers have been great

Big fan of Sundar,he's courageous like a soldier,yes unfortunately injuries have kept him in the sidelines but then injuries have destroyed many promising careers in the past as well

1 hour ago, Suhaan said:

Prasad for all his pace had a swag about him,

Never shyed away from expressing

He is a fighter i agree. Not the best talent but mentally strong

If srinath had his mentality and actually had the intention to hurt players i can assure you that srinath would be a sub 24 level bowler instead of 29

I simply said South India doesn’t have much talent as of now.

Didnt say anything about their legacy, I know they have supplied great players too.

I don’t see any emerging talent from South India right now, apart from maybe Sundar especially considering how big cricket is in South India, I am quite sure that the representation of South Indian cricketers is at an all time low these days( in ICT) .

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

How come this thread turned into a casteist- bigoted thread? 

Yeah this thread (and similar posts in other threads, don't remember) is taking a wrong turn. Cricket forum should be only about cricket, for other topics we have chit chat section. Won't be surprised to see more of these posts as elections come near, 5th gen warfare is a thing and few mischief mongers from neighbouring countries (and also some of our own folks, unfortunately) will use every social media channel to pit Indians against each other. Nothing innocent, all planned with ulterior motives.

I urge the mods to be more strict, at least in the cricket section show zero tolerance to regional/religious/casteist posts. ICF is like a family, shouldn't allow few posters to run some agenda and create bad blood here.

Edited by Gollum
6 hours ago, Jamadagni said:

On the outside, it may look like they are displaying some kind of superiority over their language and culture. But if you analyze it deeply, all this stems from their insecurity over their darker complexion. Tamil jingoism is kind of coping mechanism for them for their insecurities. 

As for Karnataka and other south players, it's just that there haven't been many talented players since 2000 with the exception of KL Rahul. I've already given examples - Kumble, Dravid, Laxman. They're 3 of the biggest match winners for India in test cricket.

Btw, Ashwin is a brahmin, whom Tamil nationalists hate too (again due to the same reason as mentioned above - Tamil brahmins tend to be fairer than the average Tamilian).

Btw laxman is from Hyderabad 

Edited by putrevus