Joe Root should have scored 500 runs in this series

Root used to carry the English batting by himself before the likes of Duckett, Pope and Brooks and Bairstow started enjoying success via Bazball. It is possible that mentally he eased up a little because he doesn't have to do it all by himself anymore. At elite level, even a tiny dip in concentration and intensity can make a big difference in results. Similar is the case of Steve Smith, who was carrying the Aussie lineup until Labu came along and became a big scorer. 

Based on what exactly? Do you not remember his record when the ball started turning after the first innings at Chennai in 2021 tour? He was actually worse than Duckett getting out to sweeps constantly :laugh:

The pitches in 2016 were even more flat, so not really comparable to this series either. Lastly T20 batting has affected everyone including BRat, SS, Root & KS - don't be surprised if batting avg keep plummeting & bowling S/R get better & better in the next few years :om:

On 3/9/2024 at 8:16 AM, Trichromatic said:

Kind of form he is in, it wasn't difficult for him to score run, but bazball ruined him.

it's not about form. put root under pressure and he will crack in tests. order of mental toughness: stewie smith > kohli > root > willy wonka

18 minutes ago, Vijy said:

it's not about form. put root under pressure and he will crack in tests. order of mental toughness: stewie smith > kohli > root > willy wonka

I agree but it does not take away from his greatness.This guy can play 200 tests easily and end up with most test runs.

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

I agree but it does not take away from his greatness.This guy can play 200 tests easily and end up with most test runs.

depends on when his reflexes go. even the mighty smith has been poor since his reflexes went. I think root's decline is about 2 years away, and then we may see the runs dry up

39 minutes ago, Majestic said:

In a test cricket World XI of last 10 years, Kohli won't make it to World XI.

Rohit/Khawaja

Warner

Williamson

Smith

Root

Qdk(wkt)

Jadeja

Ashwin/Lyon( depending on conditions)

Cummins(c)

Rabada

Bumrah

Even as non-Kohli fan, it is hilarious that Kane Willy is above him.

Also, no Pant and inclusion of Rohit ahead of Karunaratne/Khawaja - also hilarious.

By all means, give me your rationale. It's not like I would find it convincing

Edited by Vijy
9 hours ago, Vijy said:

Also, no Pant and inclusion of Rohit ahead of Karunaratne/Khawaja - also hilarious.

Peak kohli >> peak root too.

And lol at no pant too

Also ash over Lyon anyday

Edited by Kron
14 hours ago, Vijy said:

depends on when his reflexes go. even the mighty smith has been poor since his reflexes went. I think root's decline is about 2 years away, and then we may see the runs dry up

He is already greatest batsman in England's history.Another two years, he will play another 30 tests.Since 2021 he has scored stagerring 14 test 100s.

He has simplest  technique among the fab 4.Least moving parts in his batting. This Bazball nonsense has ruined a great batsman.

Edited by putrevus
19 minutes ago, putrevus said:

He is already greatest batsman in England's history.Another two years, he will play another 30 tests.Since 2021 he has scored stagerring 14 test 100s.

Still put 2015 to 2019 kohli as better than peak root

Barring that 2016 series

12 minutes ago, Kron said:

Still put 2015 to 2019 kohli as better than peak root

Barring that 2016 series

I am not comparing Kohli to Root. Kohli needs to have second burst in his career if wants to end up as top ten test batsman.

Kohli was on path to becoming a top ten test batsman too. But last three years have been so bad for him.There is no escaping for him from his struggles.

Smith we are seeing those shuffles which were getting flicked for boundaries are now trapping him LBWs.Smith was always going to struggle once his reflexes waned a little.

Kane Williamson is king of soft runs.

Kohli should have scored 500 runs. Would have done it had he played just the last 3 tests, after birth of his son. 

This kind of rubbish bowling lineup won't come to our shores so often. I rate the Bangladeshi bowling attack better than this English one, especially on Indian pitches. 

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Kohli should have scored 500 runs. Would have done it had he played just the last 3 tests, after birth of his son. 

This kind of rubbish bowling lineup won't come to our shores so often. I rate the Bangladeshi bowling attack better than this English one, especially on Indian pitches. 

I still cannot believe he missed out whole series for child birth. I could understand one or two test but whole series.

9 hours ago, Vijy said:

It's down to batting positions.

Kane Williamson bats at 3 while Virat Kohli bats at 4. Joe Root and Steve Smith also had most of their success at 4 although Root in his initial years had even more success at 5. Kane has always batted at 3 and in that position, you just can't put anyone else if we stick with the batting positions.

Karunaratne is not better than Rohit. Pant is not there due to small sample. I would have loved to include Pant but won't be fair for players wih larger sample who belong to that era.

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

I still cannot believe he missed out whole series for child birth. I could understand one or two test but whole series.

And he is back and joined the RCB camp even before IPL started. I think he is already in retirement frame of mind.