Watched any new movies? *Please use spoiler tags*

Rajiv

On 3/28/2020 at 5:25 PM, Mariyam said:

Call me crazy, but Godfather was just the pioneer of the genre. First movers advantage is all it had. Aside of the novelty of being the first gangster movie and some very over the top acting it doesn't have much going for it. I haven't read the book, but from what I gather, the movie doesn't do justice to the book.

Even that old Don guy (Brando) whose performance everyone goes gaga over, I find very average.

Infact I'd say it was *his* worst performance. I've seen Last Tango in Paris and A Street Car Named Desire. And boy can he act/emote.

Satya is a better and subtler gangster movie.

tenor.gif?itemid=5654482

4 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

yup hotstar, i dont feel like going to theatres now ....ppl around have no discipline watching a movie- talking constantly, mobile are never off....i cant stand it 

I love going to the theatres. The ambience is as much a part of the experience as the movie. 

And people generally adapt to the movie type. The casual movies have a lot of loud mouths. People tend to be quieter when seeing serious stuff.

The last movie I saw in the theatre was Thappad. The audience, not much to begin with, was very well behaved.

Have you seen DDLJ at Maratha Mandir?

On 3/31/2020 at 10:22 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Nope not a fan, acc to me DDLJ n  KKHH are the most overrated films that worked becoz of time......had they been made today they wud have tanked. 

tenor.gif

PS: Of course movies are a byproduct of the times. You think a "Naya Daur" or a 'Sholay" or a "Mother India" would do great business today?

Edited by Mariyam

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

tenor.gif

PS: Of course movies are a byproduct of the times. You think a "Naya Daur" or a 'Sholay" or a "Mother India" would do great business today?

sholday would 

naya daur would it has a great chase 

Mother India im not sure since ppl dont buy sad stories easily now

but they all were great films n stood the time. Film buss doesnt stand for good film.....had david dhawan made films today he wud have been a legend so wud have been RGV but in their times they werent . 

KKHH n DDLJ are not great films by any stretch of imagination .

@Ankit_sharma03

Didn't Naya Daur re-release in colour some years ago? I don't think it did too well.

Neither did Mughal-e-Azam.

Also re: David Dhawan. He needed that star cast. A Govinda. A Kader Khan. to make those movies special. Who today can replace these people?

I agree with you about RGV. He was way ahead of his time.

47 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@Ankit_sharma03

Didn't Naya Daur re-release in colour some years ago? I don't think it did too well.

Neither did Mughal-e-Azam.

Nope mughal e azam re released was a big hit

Obv these films wont work in theatres if made same way, 3 hrs film in todays time with so many songs no one will go but if that script is made acc to today style it ll work as they have a very strong base of script . KJo himself confesses how stupid was KKHH hia

i liked dil to pagal hai na hum apke hai kon but DDLJ, KKHH n Hum dil de chuke sanam were damn overrated  films 

Also re: David Dhawan. He needed that star cast. A Govinda. A Kader Khan. to make those movies special. Who today can replace these people?

he had stars problem and his films were hits as well but  his films were looked down upon n so was other comedies. Why was govinda hardly nominated for lead roles ...they use to nominate him for comic roles , he was bloody good as an actor in those films as good as srk or salman in their films infact govinda was way better. At that times comedies were looked as relief not real films ....today someone like rohit shetty who has made bang avg films has recognition n big hits. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

7 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

.had david dhawan made films today he wud have been a legend so wud have been RGV but in their times they werent . 

RGV had a bunch of talented crew, his movie quality was beyond his time. But, when they all left him and he was surrounded by a bunch of yesmen, his movie quality went spiraling down, when he made a joke called RGV ki pichwade ki Aag. He is now a bum tweeting insensitive jokes on April 1st day

@Ankit_sharma03 did you just compare Rgv with David Dhawan?

One was a hack who stole from South Indian comedy films and made them over the top and gaudy and found success and the other RGV was a guy who changed the entire  film Industry as it is today. Obviously he had an expiry date but it’s blasphemy to put the 2 as film makers in the same sentence.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

@Ankit_sharma03 did you just compare Rgv with David Dhawan?

One was a hack who stole from South Indian comedy films and made them over the top and gaudy and found success and the other RGV was a guy who changed the entire  film Industry as it is today. Obviously he had an expiry date but it’s blasphemy to put the 2 as film makers in the same sentence.

For me Satya is on par if not rated higher than Sholay. No other movie is as raw and with so many good performances by the  ensemble , every char was etched and distinct. It is a director’s dream product. Company comes very close second, but for miscast of Monhanlel.Raat or Rathri was a failure for me because of the cast, but Kaun was too good in that genre.

Dhawan is a different class, can’t be compared in the same genre. Compare Dhawan with Manmohan Desai, a product of their times. Who did well, but nothing noteworthy like RGV. 

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

RGV had a bunch of talented crew, his movie quality was beyond his time. But, when they all left him and he was surrounded by a bunch of yesmen, his movie quality went spiraling down, when he made a joke called RGV ki pichwade ki Aag. He is now a bum tweeting insensitive jokes on April 1st day

RGV turned his film making into experimental lab and it was all by choice. He is a narcissist. He started making Films for himself.