Watched any new movies? *Please use spoiler tags*

Rajiv

30 minutes ago, maniac said:

Actually Azhar was one of the greatest opportunities to make a compelling biopic. I mean we had a Hollywood level story written by itself.

A guy from a humble middle class family from a minority community that too from not a cricketing power center  like Hyderabad  , lead India in 3 Wc’s a record that is unbroken till now, A unique batsman who was one of the most elegant players to watch in full flow, pre-fixing days was one of the most popular cricketers in India, caught for fixing and named as the king pin in a scandal that almost finished cricket, divorced first wife to marry a Bollywood actress, tenure coincided with the rise of Sachin etc 

I mean if Bollywood can muck that up, then one can only imagine Bollywood’s incompetence. Tu kuch kehta kyon nahi? :giggle:

Good post. I think one can genuinely make a Wolf of Wall Street like film based on Azhar if we show what actually happened behind the scenes in that era :giggle:. But I don't think we are ready for warts and all type biopics in India yet which is why most of the biopics end up as hagiographies.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Good post. I think one can genuinely make a Wolf of Wall Street like film based on Azhar if we show what actually happened behind the scenes in that era :giggle:. But I don't think we are ready for warts and all type biopics in India yet which is why most of the biopics end up as hagiographies.

Cultural difference. The wolf of Wall Street guy monetized his book and the post success of the movie and enjoyed his notoriety. 

In Indian version, either they guy will be from a frustrated Brahmin family which drove him to the life of all that debauchery (couple of item songs)  which he never indulged in himself but all his other Brahmin /Baniya friends did. They will show the patriotic  FBI /SEC guy investigating him having a name like Irfan/Rehman.

51 minutes ago, maniac said:

Actually Azhar was one of the greatest opportunities to make a compelling biopic. I mean we had a Hollywood level story written by itself.

A guy from a humble middle class family from a minority community that too from not a cricketing power center  like Hyderabad  , lead India in 3 Wc’s a record that is unbroken till now, A unique batsman who was one of the most elegant players to watch in full flow, pre-fixing days was one of the most popular cricketers in India, caught for fixing and named as the king pin in a scandal that almost finished cricket, divorced first wife to marry a Bollywood actress, tenure coincided with the rise of Sachin etc 

I mean if Bollywood can muck that up, then one can only imagine Bollywood’s incompetence. Tu kuch kehta kyon nahi? :giggle:

From the inception level it was in wrong hands. 

Even if it was in right hands and truth was shown it wud have meant a defamation case which leads to outside court settlment resulting in a loss from start. 

Biopics is not easy to execute in india.

If anyone who did it decently was mani ratnam in guru, changed name and took many liberties to avoid all problems. Thats the max u can reach in terms of being close to truth.

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

From the inception level it was in wrong hands. 

Even if it was in right hands and truth was shown it wud have meant a defamation case which leads to outside court settlment resulting in a loss from start. 

Biopics is not easy to execute in india.

If anyone who did it decently was mani ratnam in guru, changed name and took many liberties to avoid all problems. Thats the max u can reach in terms of being close to truth.

Not all Hagiographies are bad. I really enjoyed the first half of MSD. Only after they started showing highlights of matches already seen with Sushant’s face superimposed and the pointless love story it sucked.

It might be closest to a decent biopic Indian cinema has produced.

Funnily it’s not different from MSD’s career the first half of which I thoroughly enjoyed :giggle:

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

Not all Hagiographies are bad. I really enjoyed the first half of MSD. Only after they started showing highlights of matches already seen with Sushant’s face superimposed and the pointless love story it sucked.

Yea 1st half was good

2nd half suffered cos of this point

6 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Great characters have flaws but we worship so many people on whom biopic are made. 

If a dhoni or sachin biopic is made they are shown as gods, all good characters are boring. 

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

Funnily it’s not different from MSD’s career the first half of which I thoroughly enjoyed :giggle:

After that it was a series of events...doesnt work in terms of story telling when there is nothing left in terms character development.

1st half had his struggle , 2nd half had nothing. 

28 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

He did the same thing during Nayagan and Iruvar too. Smart man. Having said that, the depiction of the protagonists in all these films was mostly positive although not hagiographic. Still far far better than most of the sports biopics as well as crap like Sanju.

Sanju biopic, is the worst example. It had so much potential. Star kid, drugs, rehabilitation, scandals, gym man, caught by law, terrorism, in and out of jail, marriage , kids, Instead, we see Ranvir Kapoor trying hard to mimic dutt’s body language and the story justifying all his bad deeds. 
Even half good The founder is so good compared to our biopics 

23 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Sanju biopic, is the worst example. It had so much potential. Star kid, drugs, rehabilitation, scandals, gym man, caught by law, terrorism, in and out of jail, marriage , kids, Instead, we see Ranvir Kapoor trying hard to mimic dutt’s body language and the story justifying all his bad deeds. 
Even half good The founder is so good compared to our biopics 

And the hypocrite critics let it pass. If the same movie had been made by an outsider like Kabir Singh, the so called critics would have gone bonkers on it. Just goes to show how much favoritism is at play in Bollywood.

On 7/23/2020 at 5:03 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Yea 1st half was good

2nd half suffered cos of this point

After that it was a series of events...doesnt work in terms of story telling when there is nothing left in terms character development.

1st half had his struggle , 2nd half had nothing. 

That’s a convenient excuse.

Watch the movie Ed Wood. It’s biopic about the worst filmmaker ever. Throughout the film you are rooting for the guy even though neither the film nor the character ever shows him to be better than he is. As I said hagiographies are fine but under the right creative team like in this case a prime Burton-Depp you can make great movies.

On 7/24/2020 at 2:28 AM, maniac said:

dude .. i saw posters of few RGV films , not sure whether they are released or not 

he had chosen the lookalikes of chanfrababu naidu ,  pawan kalyan to portray their roles :fear: 

maxresdefault.jpg 

On 7/23/2020 at 3:14 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

didnt like it, same old over the top treatment 

Its a movie on maths/a mathematician. There has to be some over the top treatment so that the average Joe can relate to it.

I surely wouldn't want to watch a movie that spends 20mins showing me how Shakuntala Devi used Pythagorus theorem to minimize travel time to work.

If they wanted a treatise on her work, they would have made a documentary and that would have been a niche subject. They want to make it commercially viable. Can't blame them,

On 7/26/2020 at 5:21 AM, velu said:

dude .. i saw posters of few RGV films , not sure whether they are released or not 

he had chosen the lookalikes of chanfrababu naidu ,  pawan kalyan to portray their roles :fear: 

maxresdefault.jpg 

He’s gone senile. The trailer looks like a comedy skit than an actual movie :laugh:. Hilarious though 

I think at this point RGV  is just a walking personification of a social media troll.

Edited by maniac

14 minutes ago, maniac said:

Is it like a desi remake of knives out? That’s what it looked like from the trailer 

it has a similar plot but thats about it . It aint a remake, the script was written years before knives out came out.

Remake is casually used words these days , u can do it without taking rights now specially with hollywood films or it can hae huge legal consequence 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03