Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

Rohit Sharma on Prasidh Krishna ....

" While reacting to Krishna's performance during the post-match presentation, the India skipper said, "I have never seen a spell like that in India for a long time now. Bowled with a lot of pace and kept it going."

This sort of raises  serious questions regarding  ....

1)  whether the speed guns are measuring speeds properly. Prasidh looked quick to most people today ... but when a veteran cricketer standing at slip feels this way then it becomes even more meaningful.

2)  whether measuring release speeds are all that relevant unless a yorker is bowled !!!!    In case of other deliveries, extracting life out of pitches is more important. Be it bounce or zip off the deck.

Edited by express bowling
1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Robitaille Sharma on Prasidh Krishna ....

" While reacting to Krishna's performance during the post-match presentation, the India skipper said, "I have never seen a spell like that in India for a long time now. Bowled with a lot of pace and kept it going."

This sort of raises  serious questions on ....

1)  whether the speed guns are measuring speeds properly. Prasidh looked quick to most people today ... but when a veteran cricketer standing at slip feels this way then it becomes even more meaningful.

2)  whether measuring release speeds is all that relevant unless a yorker is bowled !!!!    In case of other deliveries, hitting the deck hard and extracting life out of pitches is more important. Be it bounce or skid.

nice name :giggle:

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

2)  whether measuring release speeds is all that relevant unless a yorker is bowled !!!!    In case of other deliveries, hitting the deck hard and extracting life out of pitches is more important. Be it bounce or skid.

Are these BCCI speed guns or Star sports ones??  I have seen Star Sports speed guns in IPl clocking higher speeds of Inteenational & Indian players.  Are they measuring speed outta hand or off the pitch?  Modern tendency is to go by the hand I reckon. 

Even in WT20 speed guns looked accurate. 

18 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Are these BCCI speed guns or Star sports ones??  I have seen Star Sports speed guns in IPl clocking higher speeds of Inteenational & Indian players.  Are they measuring speed outta hand or off the pitch?  Modern tendency is to go by the hand I reckon. 

Even in WT20 speed guns looked accurate. 

Speeds shown are at the point of release.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Speed guns to me looked to be displaying the right speed. Efforts balls were at 139-140, floated deliveries at 133-134. Thakur was mostly 128-134, his normal speed range these days. Siraj wasn't in great rhythm and bowling a bit slower.

Taller bowkers when extracting such disconcerting bounce (pitch played a part as well) always look pacier to the naked eye. Not comparing Prasidh to Ambrose but I remember watching a youtube video of Ambrose and Walsh bowling in an Eng ODI back in 2000. Looked lot more pacier than the speed gun reading of 81-83 mph.

39 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Taller bowkers when extracting such disconcerting bounce (pitch played a part as well) always look pacier to the naked eye. Not comparing Prasidh to Ambrose but I remember watching a youtube video of Ambrose and Walsh bowling in an Eng ODI back in 2000. Looked lot more pacier than the speed gun reading of 81-83 mph.

What you are saying are all true for us watching on TV.

Players on the field, who are either batting or keeping or fielding behind the wicket, get a better idea about the pace of the bowler too.

Release speeds are just part of the story and that was one of the points I was raising. 

When you bowl bouncy deliveries, 135-140 is more than sufficient. It's just too hard to face. 

If a bounce bowler bowls at 135. It is equal to shaheens 145. Something paxtanis won't understand. 

apart from shoaib they have never had any good bowler who has a brutal bouncer. 

Bounce is the name of the game. Look at every great bowler. All had good bouncers. 

Batsmen just can't face bounce. That's why hazelwood is the toughest bowler yo face. 

Praisdh reminds me of hazlewood. 

4 hours ago, express bowling said:

Speeds shown are at the point of release.

I have forgotten my physics here, but if I recall this is the fastest the ball is traveling?

So I presume then by the time the ball reaches the batsmen it would have slowed down, albeit partially?

It then begs the more serious question, if Boobi is bowling under 130kmhr, by the time it reaches the batsmen its probably around low 120s??? ie. these trundlers are bowling even slower than what we thought?

17 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

I have forgotten my physics here, but if I recall this is the fastest the ball is traveling?

So I presume then by the time the ball reaches the batsmen it would have slowed down, albeit partially?

It then begs the more serious question, if Boobi is bowling under 130kmhr, by the time it reaches the batsmen its probably around low 120s??? ie. these trundlers are bowling even slower than what we thought?

More like 110. Yes. 140 is most likely 120 125 ish. Depends on where the bowler pitches and how much zip they get off the surface. 

9 hours ago, express bowling said:

Rohit Sharma on Prasidh Krishna ....

This sort of raises  serious questions regarding  ....

2)  whether measuring release speeds are all that relevant unless a yorker is bowled !!!!    In case of other deliveries, extracting life out of pitches is more important. Be it bounce or zip off the deck.

It is sad that Bhubaneshwar Kumar was preferred over him.

The team management should seriously consider Avesh Khan for the 3rd odi as he may not get another opportunity  when Bumrah,Shami comes back in the squad

12 minutes ago, tweaker said:

The team management should seriously consider Avesh Khan for the 3rd odi as he may not get another opportunity  when Bumrah,Shami comes back in the squad

And what else this series is for

Series won,Avesh, Bishnoi deserve being given a chance

We need to build our LOI side altogether again not much time in hand

15 hours ago, express bowling said:

I have always thought that India's biggest impediment to becoming a cricket superpower is the steady stream of shorter medium pacers who keep coming in.

Bumrah

Prasidh

Siraj 

Shami

Tyagi

Umran

Saini

Avesh

With proper fast bowlers like these, how do the trundlers keep coming in !!

It seems to be a relic from the era of green pitches a decade back where Dinda and Vinay Kumar type bowlers made hay. In winter months in India these sort of bowlers can exploit the early morning swing so teams will always have 1 such bowler in the team but the recent emphasis on genuine hit the deck bowlers is good to see. Our domestic system has generally always produced serviceable swing bowlers at least from what I've seen.