Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

6 minutes ago, express bowling said:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/766861.html

You are right.  Atul Wassan interview above, talking about some of the things you said regarding injury management and pacer management.

We hear him raising many valid points and he generally comes across as a sensible guy.

We also hear  him talking about some steretypical beliefs, which have stopped us from having a pool of fast bowlers till 2015.  Wassan talks about Australians Saffers and Pakistanis having better genetics than us.  He talks about them having better strength and sustainability. 

This is the part that I don't agree with.  Pacers from all countries have issues with sustainability. We have seen Pattinson, Cummins, Starc and Johnson break down very frequently.  Same with Steyn. Usman Khan got injured after a couple of games.  Shoaib, Zahid,  Irfan were all very injury prone.  Ngidi dropped pace after just 1 match.  Morkel bowling much slower these days. Amir can't bowl quick in tests ...  and I could go on and on.    The secret is to have a larger pool of fast bowlers.  This means proper replacements for the injured fast bowlers and competition forcing the injured quicks to not drop pace.

Regarding strength ...  Indians have done well in many such sports like weight-lifting, wrestling etc.   Moreover,  strength is just one of the many qualities needed for bowling fast.  Flexibility, fast-twitch muscles, good bio-mechanics in bowling action. hyper-extension, etc.

We have shed all these inhibitions now ... and are producing fast bowlers by the dozen.  Speed-guns are showing that Indians are bowling as quick or quicker than most pacers of these known-for-pace countries.

Yes.

Also, that Wassan was faster than Ankola :)

Regarding genetics, thats a lot of BS. I am myself from sports background so I know this well enough. If we have Mary kom and Vijender, theres no way theres anything wrong with genetics. Its all got to do with how you practise and your priorities.

4 hours ago, express bowling said:

My impressions about the pace of the earlier batch of " pace foundation developed Indian pace bowlers " ,  starting  1989

Rajdan - Fast-medium ( tall ) 

Ankola    Fast   for 2 years   ... then Fast-medium   ( tall )

Wassan -  Fast-medium  ( tall )

Srinath -  Fast ...  express from 1995 to 97 ...  Fast  ( very tall )

Subroto - medium  ( medium height )

Prasad - Medium  ( very tall )

Vaidya - Medium-fast  ( very tall )

Kuruvilla - Medium fast when he played in 1997 ... was perhaps Fast-medium around 1990  ( very tall )

Zaidi -  Was said to be skiddy quick by batters who faced him, never played for India   ( tall )

Mhambrey - Medium-fast  ( medium height )

Ganesh - Medium  ( very tall )

Johnson - Fast-medium  ( short )

Harvinder - Fast-medium  ( medium height  )

Mohanty - Medium  ( tall )

I could be totally off on this one. But i think we are seeing more rugged village/rural raised boys fast bowling now opposed urban semi urban raised boys in earlier era. Earlier set looked as in looked( taller well built but soft in terms of stress they were willing to take ) better, now they bowl better.

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Dala is a strange bowler in terms of pace.

Bowls 130 k to 136 k most of the time and suddenly bowls a 146 k at times.

Same thing puzzling me, I thought those 130k to 136k balls were slower balls, or is it?? Was trying to find out but this sh**ty stream and network isant allowing me to

16 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

I dont know about you guys, but I seriously think theres some whealing dealing going on with some selector and Unadkat. I think he got sold for 11 cr. Definitely a cut is being given somewhere. This guy is not fit to make it in the sultanpalya T20 team!

He is picked because he performed well in IPl as simple as that. We might not like him but he did well in the format and hence picked because for his IPL performance.

Regarding 11cr. He got lucky because when his name came in the auction, Chennai were short of bowlers so they were bidding for him and the Punjab joined in to make sure they also get him and Chennai were desperate for Indian bowler and hence kept bidding and all of a sudden clueless Rajasthan also

jumped in. Just pure luck. He is a good t20 bowler since he has variations, but not worth 12crores.

3 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Pandya was hitting 143 quite often. Bumrah I saw a fastest of 144 and Bhuvi was bowling around 142. 

Unadkat was notable. He was burning the speed gun with his 113-114 express deliveries!

2 hours ago, Vilander said:

Fastest

Bhum 145

Pandya 143

Bhuv 142

Ukad 141

Lots of slow deliveries. Only bhum and pand were quick. Bhuv used few quick deliveries. Ukad totally took pace off ball.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Vk1 said:

Pandya hitting 143s at the end of a long 60 days of tour is amazing.

It is. But a question needs to be asked to the team management why was he off color during the initial stages? Have they tried to do a study or spoken to them? Does he need a sports psychologist to be always in the game?

Or is it because it was just a T20 and he put his effort coz it was just 4 overs?

He cant be average in the matches which matter when he has the potential to do better.

8 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

It is. But a question needs to be asked to the team management why was he off color during the initial stages? Have they tried to do a study or spoken to them? Does he need a sports psychologist to be always in the game?

Or is it because it was just a T20 and he put his effort coz it was just 4 overs?

He cant be average in the matches which matter when he has the potential to do better.

I think they are giving  him some more time to ease into the role of being the all important third seamer in all formats. 

9 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

I think he fields close in guarding more busy positions than the fast bowlers.  He tends to conserve a bit when he bowls for an all-rounder he is still fast don't you think? 

2 hours ago, Vilander said:

I think he fields close in guarding more busy positions than the fast bowlers.  He tends to conserve a bit when he bowls for an all-rounder he is still fast don't you think? 

For an allrounder he is certainly fast. But he looked off color and disinterested to me in the initial ODI's. He was very one dimensional. It was only towards the end of the ODI series that he picked up. 

He needs to push himself. His batting needs attention and so does his bowling. He has it in him to perform consistent. If he can aim towards Chris Cairns level, he will be doing good.

Found this interview of Jasprit Bumrah 

Showcases the changing mindset of Indian cricket

Satisfied after getting his maiden five-wicket haul in Test cricket, Jasprit Bumrah said that the current Indian attack has "pace" and are not afraid of dishing out short-pitched stuff like their South African counterparts.

"Indian pacers have also got pace (nowadays). We are just trying to get the wickets (whilst bowling short to the tailenders). If we get it from them, we can give it back as well. 

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/india-in-south-africa/we-can-give-it-back-as-good-as-we-get-bumrah-on-short-balls/articleshow/62655874.cms

Edited by express bowling