Time ticking for Hardik Pandya

maniac

Yeah, he's nowhere near a finished product.  Will struggle against quality bowlers, especially pace.  But he has the skillset to murder average bowlers like Kushal Perera.  He's a good role player who fits a dire need of clubbing boundaries as soon as he walks in, in the lower middle order.  And has done it now 3 times for us with the bat.  So stop viewing him as a allrounder or bowler who can bat a bit, and evaluate him for what he is.  Wrong expectations completely change perception of a player.  

People hate on Jadeja for the same reason - skewed expectations - Jaddu is a bowler who can bat a little bit - NOT an allrounder.  So don't expect him to get you big hits or runs, and suddenly he's a pretty useful bowler and a gun fielder to boot.  But if you expect allrounder level runs from him, he's a major disappointment.  Once in a blue moon, he will chip in with the bat - like he did today.  Haters will not credit his 2 timely boundaries at the death that pushed our score on - when every run counted.  But they will be back with knives out, the minute he can't finish a game when the Kohlis, Rainas and Yuvis have failed to get it done.  

i agree with you mostly.

Only issue is,....Jadeja has batted at no.7 most of the times in ODIs. 

That is the slot for a batting all-rounder.

If he bats at no.8 ( slot for bowler who can bat a bit ) , as he is doing now...I will be very happy with what he is doing in LOIs and in sub-continent test matches.

i agree with you mostly.

Only issue is,....Jadeja has batted at no.7 most of the times in ODIs. 

That is the slot for a batting all-rounder.

If he bats at no.8 ( slot for bowler who can bat a bit ) , as he is doing now...I will be very happy with what he is doing in LOIs and in sub-continent test matches.

well its not his fault that we have to push him up the order because we dont have batting allrounder.  Now that Pandya is in the mix, we might see that more often.  And that strengthens our team:dance:

Pandya is like that missing piece of the puzzle - slotting in at #7 just makes everything flow better, even in ODIs.  He can definitely bowl 5-7 overs in the middle stages without giving too many away.  

Now that Pandya is in the mix, we might see that more often.  And that strengthens our team:dance:

Pandya is like that missing piece of the puzzle - slotting in at #7 just makes everything flow better, even in ODIs.  He can definitely bowl 5-7 overs in the middle stages without giving too many away.  

Absolutely

People hate on Jadeja for the same reason - skewed expectations - Jaddu is a bowler who can bat a little bit - NOT an allrounder.  So don't expect him to get you big hits or runs, and suddenly he's a pretty useful bowler and a gun fielder to boot.  But if you expect allrounder level runs from him, he's a major disappointment.  Once in a blue moon, he will chip in with the bat - like he did today.  Haters will not credit his 2 timely boundaries at the death that pushed our score on - when every run counted.  But they will be back with knives out, the minute he can't finish a game when the Kohlis, Rainas and Yuvis have failed to get it done.  

Jadeja has a ridiculously good domestic record as a batsmen as well as a bowler, that's why people think he's an allrounder. He's an example of someone whose talent (batting) could not translate to the international stage. 

Would love to see Pandya on seam friendly pitches to see his full potential. 

Jadeja has a ridiculously good domestic record as a batsmen as well as a bowler, that's why people think he's an allrounder. He's an example of someone whose talent (batting) could not translate to the international stage. 

Would love to see Pandya on seam friendly pitches to see his full potential. 

Yes, and we tried to a different brand of Left-arm spinner with Axar Patel - the kid who looks like Ravi Shastri had a really good time in Gujarat 20 years ago - but that kid is even worse with the bat at the international level inspite of batting at #5 at u-19.  

International class allrounders are like gold dust, very hard to find.  So we should evaluate what we have with a clear eye, and maximize the use of 1.5 versions we have instead of criticizing them for not living up to our expectations and needs.  And who knows, given Pandya's pace, hitting ability, and some good coaching, he could improve as a player and become that true allrounder, even if he isn't one yet.  

I thought Pandya did really well today. Came in to bat at a time when all batsmen had struggled to hit boundaries and started flowing from ball 1. 

Have to give him some credit for the last over too. Many will say that he was lucky to get away, but luck plays a huge factor in cricket all the time. I would say that when he was batting he was unlucky to have got caught off a scorcher. He was playing quite fluently. 

Also, for the last ball, bowling a fast length ball outside off was a good gamble. Batsman was expecting the full length. Could have got creamed for four too, but then you have to take your chances. Sometimes they will pay off and sometimes you will look terrible doing it. 

People need to understand that pandya is being groomed and stuck with because of our recent inability to hit at the end of t20s and odi innings.we have lost countless,winnable odis in the last 1 year because of poor death hitting and the main reason is that dhoni has declined a lot and raina is out of form .that issue is a major concern and pandya quite easily fills that AR slot .

He has a decent technique with the bat and dont fall for his hoicks and clueless batting against spin ,its just t20s,he's batting differently here because his job is to come out hit out ,he bats better with a different mindset in odis.

He is not a regular bowler or death bowler who finishes his quota of 4 or 10 overs every time,but he is a good option to fallback on to bowl some overs in the middle ,the guy has got talent ,he can crank upto 143k and that is serious pace .

Only thing he needs to work on is his action (he falls to much on the side which takes away 2-3ks and accuracy) which he will with the bowling coaches in due time.

The guy needs to be persisted with for a good spell to make him evolve as a loi player and that is why dhoni is sticking with him

Days like this will give Pandya so much confidence.  Dhoni trusted him enough to promote him in batting - and he delivered.  Dhoni had no choice but to turn to him for the final over - he didn't bowl great, but not horrible either and we pulled out the win.  

And if he is able to bat fir 25-30 balls in the next couple of games - we win.  Its that simple.  

He got real lucky today but the bottom line is that he will and should learn from this invaluable experience. You can't freaking bowl 2 super generous full tosses when defending 10 runs..... Any other calm batter would have smacked him for 2 huge ones. He tried to show a calm demeanor but his execution was crappy in that last over.... 1 length ball, 2 juicy full tosses, 1 short ball wide outside off.... that is just riding his luck. I also didn't like Nehra yapping in his ears for minutes after each ball.... then dhoni comes up and starts lecturing for another 5 minutes.... that was just too much imo

Bumrah on the other hand is da man when it comes to death bowling... i'm very impressed with that kid... i really hope that he keeps up the consistency and gives us 1 super reliable option at the death.

He got real lucky today but the bottom line is that he will and should learn from this invaluable experience. You can't freaking bowl 2 super generous full tosses when defending 10 runs..... Any other calm batter would have smacked him for 2 huge ones. He tried to show a calm demeanor but his execution was crappy in that last over.... 1 length ball, 2 juicy full tosses, 1 short ball wide outside off.... that is just riding his luck. I also didn't like Nehra yapping in his ears for minutes after each ball.... then dhoni comes up and starts lecturing for another 5 minutes.... that was just too much imo

Bumrah on the other hand is da man when it comes to death bowling... i'm very impressed with that kid... i really hope that he keeps up the consistency and gives us 1 super reliable option at the death.

Finally a reasonable analysis!