Ravi Shastri forces MS to drop Dhawan For Rahane

24 minutes ago, Texan said:

And you think with a 7 PM start, the WI bowlers did not face this problem?

No. Dew does not come at 7 p.m. It starts to come around 9 when weather starts to cool down a bit. Dew was the reason, game was shifted half an hour earlier. Matches before were starting at 7:30.

7 minutes ago, WC2011INDIA said:

Then they should have practiced with wet balls before the match as they knew the game was at wankhede. But I am sure they didn't.

Dhoni and management just prayed that they will win toss and bat second. That's how I felt and the team selection was done keeping in mind they might chase. 

Bottom line, it was a bad toss to lose and the team wasn't prepared for batting first or bowling in dew. 

Apart from Aghan-SA  game, all matches probably won by teams batting 2nd at Wankhede.

6 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Apart from Aghan-SA  game, all matches probably won by teams batting 2nd at Wankhede.

Exactly. Dew makes chasing easier, but good bowling attack can still bowl well even with dew on. What I witnessed was 10th rate bowling barring nehra. You know the toss is not in your hand, so why not practice bowling with wet ball in the nets in case have to defend score. 

Edited by WC2011INDIA
15 minutes ago, asterix said:

Not only that the ball doesn't griot the pitch too thus negating any spin. However I did notice Ashwin still managing to spin the ball... Can't understand why Dickhead Dhoni never gives him full quota of overs...

there are reasons when we say Dhoni as captain is a dickhead... If you don't allow anybody else to captain innLOIs you won't see the difference it makes... Dhoni too realises that and hence is not allowing anybody else to captain in T20s...

Ashwin not bowling was poor. Yes he could go for runs to, but then in T20, spinners are better bet than medium pacers in middle overs even on flat track.

12 minutes ago, WC2011INDIA said:

Exactly. Dew makes chasing easier, but good bowling attack can still bowl well even with dew on. What I witnessed was 10th rate bowling barring nehra. You know the toss is not in your hand, so why not practice bowling with wet ball in the nets in case have to defend score. 

no bowling attack can bowl well with so much dew. No matter how much you practice, you cannot change the ball and the behavior of the pitch.

4 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

no bowling attack can bowl well with so much dew. No matter how much you practice, you cannot change the ball and the behavior of the pitch.

So then u agree that this was a bad toss to lose. No point blaming anyone or throwing someone under bus. 

2 minutes ago, WC2011INDIA said:

So then u agree that this was a bad toss to lose. No point blaming anyone or throwing someone under bus. 

200 was a par scored. We had a sub par score. we needed more than par. first 6 and last 5, we collectively scored about 120 runs at about 11 rpo. Rest 9 overs 72. Even within those 9 overs, we had 38 balls after PP where we scored 45 runs about 7 rpo despite having 9 wickets in hand, likes of Dhoni, Raina, Pandya siting in the dugout.

Have to blame Rahane's slow poke innings for below par score.

you have likes of Pandey who have opened before, and then likes of Pandya, Raina and Dhoni himself not playing enough balls.

rahane got greedy, failed to grasp the bigger picture.

Dew was a big factor, Sammy himself mentioned he was praying to win toss because of dew. Spinners were totally neutralised 

but again if dew such a factor, then India could have dropped raina or Rahane, a picked pacer in Shami and bowl slow bowls and cutters.

Rahane and rigid team selection ended India campaign.

Dhawan was terrible this world cup.

average of 11 and strike rate of 80....replacing him was hardly the worst call in the world.

I think the Indians think thank wanted a solid platform from which they could build. So they chose Rahane. A 35 ball 40 is what you get from Rahane and its what he does in the IPL. Its a known commodity.

Despite the Rahane 35 ball 40 I dont think we covered ourselves in glory by the fact that only 1 six was hit. 

Ultimately you have to keep in mind that the chasing team have won a disproportionate number of games at Wankhede in the T20s. In this world cup as well I think among the major teams, all teams WI , Eng and WI have won at Wankhede while chasing. So the toss does play its part. If anything the very fact India were able to drag it this long tells us it was a good performance. 

The people at Wankhede need to really go back to the drawing board with this pitch. Its a small ground and not providing any grip for the spinners in the second half due to the dew meant it was a terrible toss for India to lose. India have the blame themselves for pitches like Wankhede and Nagpur which are toss dependent. I mean WI lost to Afghanistan in Nagpur thats how much batting first was an advantage

4 minutes ago, chewy said:

you have likes of Pandey who have opened before, and then likes of Pandya, Raina and Dhoni himself not playing enough balls.

Dew was a big factor, Sammy himself mentioned he was praying to win toss because of dew. Spinners were totally neutralised 

but again if dew such a factor, then India could have dropped raina or Rahane, a picked pacer in Shami and bowl slow bowls and cutters.

You guys are not understanding the main issue here... What's the point of selecting batsmen or bowlers when they are not going to get chance to bat or bowl? Rahane had full backing of Sashtri and as an opener got chance to bat... Yes, he was not able to accelerate but then Batsmen following him too fail to do the same... ODI like batting was being bragged about in the post match press conferences...

I also think its crass and just outright wrong to say Rahane is "selfish". You are talking about somebody who has been moved around so much in his career be it ODI T20 or test and is ready to play anywhere for the team. Only recently in tests v SL he came at 3 to protect Rohit who was batting down the order.

I do hope the mist of rage dies down and people think things through rationally.

Rahane had a career strike rate of 113 before this match and during this innings his strike rate was 114. His IPL strike rate is in the same zone.  He usually plays anchor and concentrates on rotating the strike. Hitting out not what there he is for. He is there to provide a stable start and a platform. Now you can say it was not the right strategy at mumbai. Fair enough so you have to blame somewhat the team think thank. But its just plain wrong to say Rahane is selfish. Its a very poor accusation.

I also dont get this Pandey hype. He played one good innings. His IPL strike rate is actually less than Rahane and from what I remember he has been demoted several times from the RCB batting line up from opening. People are talking as if Pandey is the proven deal. I am not saying he will flop but to throw somebody in at the deep end during a semi when Rohit at the other end was struggling as well is not the best for India or even for Pandey.

2 hours ago, chewy said:

Wtf was dhoni doing? Even he didn't hit any sixes which he is famous for. Bottom line is that no batsman other than Rohit is capable of hitting sixes in this entire team. But even he scored only 43 off 31 on a flat pitch...compare that to Roy or Russell who score 40+ off 20 odd balls. Also, Virat is an amazing player, but he is nowhere as good as the West Indies players when it comes to hitting sixes. 

I am very sure Rahane was told to stay at crease as long as possible because the captain and management are not confident of the other batsmen considering all except kohli were in piss poor form the entire tournament.

R u sure we would have scored more if rahane had gone much earlier and raina or someone else was sent?  while trying to hit the big shots they could have lost heap of wickets..like NZ did in their semi final against England. It's easy to say that so and so should have batted this way from an audience perspective...no one knows the ground reality..if anything dhoni should have sent pandya immidiately after rahane's wicket rather than himself. Pandya has played on this pitch and i am sure would have hitten 3-4 boundaries...but nah...frankly the captaincy and decision making behind the scenes is piss poor. No one knows who to send to bat at a particular point in the match when wicket falls...

Btw i dont believe for a second that Ravi made dhoni choose rahane over dhawan. Since when did he gain clout? Dhoni does what he wants to do..

Edited by WC2011INDIA

Bottom line Rahane should never have been picked in a T20 squad itself let alone in playing 11, he is India's best test batsmen but not suited for T20 as he cannot rotate strike, hit big have a reasonable S/R.

It is a shame Pandey, Negi were not utilised earlier by Dhoni , also Jadeja is a liability , Mishra would have been a better bet, our T20 n ODI team needs a revamp but with Dhoni n Patil things will not improve at any pace

Our T20 squad Should include

Pandey

Rohit

Kohli

Jadhav

Mandeep Singh

M Agarwal

D Hooda

P Negi

Mishra

K Yadav

Bumrah

Shami

Pandya

A Choudhury

S Khan

8 hours ago, rkt.india said:

one word Dew. Dew was the reason Bumrah could not execute his yorkers well. Benn and Badri bowled well because we let them bowl and showed no intent to score of them. We hit 1 six in last 14 overs showed our timid approach.

This. Given the fact everyone one of us know this is a high scoring ground with smaller boundaries , fast out field and a flat track. There is no reason to take a pause at any stage of the innings at wankhede. This is that sort of a pitch. There should have been lot more sixes. Someone like Rohit sharma with a bit luck could have exploited it fully.  Rahane determined 170 was what he going to go after. That was pathetic in my view that too from someone who grew up playing on this ground. We have seen enough IPL where some unbelievable hitting happened here. Raina made 87 in 25 balls, Viru made 122 in 58 balls at wankhede.

34 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Almost as if Rahane has a 'T20 loser' message inscribed on forehead. Its so clear. He is as bad as VVS Laxman would have been in this format.

So its not Rahane's fault. Neither is he selfish. Its the selectors' and captain's fault.

No question about that. That is why Ravi shastri should be held accountable if he had made this move. Rahane played like Rahane. You can't fault him. In T20 you have to go with horses for courses as much as possible. Fact that we had lost just 2 wickets by 20th over , 192 was such a poor total. That too Kohli had to do all the job.

All being said and done, India have the best win loss ratio among test playing nations in the format. Yes there are issue with this stat considering WI for eg have players all over in leagues and T20 internationals outside the WC dont reflect them. But still it tells me things are going right. 

How about we just admit that the toss played its part? I saw a stat whereby the last 10 t20 games played at wankhede minnows aside the side chasing won like 8.

This was a very good Windies outfit. Had india chased we would not be having this conversation. MSD has been unlucky with the toss v Bangladesh Aus and Wi. The issue is the toss oriented nature of Indian venues. That more than DRS is the biggest concern for the BCCI. (or should be anyways)

9 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

No question about that. That is why Ravi shastri should be held accountable if he had made this move. Rahane played like Rahane. You can't fault him. In T20 you have to go with horses for courses as much as possible. Fact that we had lost just 2 wickets by 20th over , 192 was such a poor total. That too Kohli had to do all the job.

was it?

We had them 44 for 2 at the end of the 6th over.  The new ball was doing something. With Gayle back in the hut. From what point 192 was a daunting total and could have been a winning total. 

Is was not that bad a score. Without the dew our spinners would have seen us through.

5 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

All being said and done, India have the best win loss ratio among test playing nations in the format. Yes there are issue with this stat considering WI for eg have players all over in leagues and T20 internationals outside the WC dont reflect them. But still it tells me things are going right. 

How about we just admit that the toss played its part? I saw a stat whereby the last 10 t20 games played at wankhede minnows aside the side chasing won like 8.

This was a very good Windies outfit. Had india chased we would not be having this conversation. MSD has been unlucky with the toss v Bangladesh Aus and Wi. The issue is the toss oriented nature of Indian venues. That more than DRS is the biggest concern for the BCCI. (or should be anyways)

Not much to disagree with. In this game, one would have liked to have seen how much we would have made if Rahane got out between over no. 7 and 10 and would have taken any score and any result...Rahane batting for that long seemed too obviously detrimental to team's cause.

3 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Not much to disagree with. In this game, one would have liked to have seen how much we would have made if Rahane got out between over no. 7 and 10 and would have taken any score and any result...Rahane batting for that long seemed too obviously detrimental to team's cause.

Will agree with that. With the stability acquired after the first 6-7 overs Rahane should have slogged away or got out. This is where I feel India think thank totally lacked insight. Rahane should have been sent the orders, hit out and or get out. He would have followed through as he is a team player. 

Rahane's role was done when he reached 20. I think he played 15 balls too many.  India should have reached 205 in those spare balls.