England Tour of India November 9 2016 - Feb 1 2017: 5 Tests, 3 ODIs, 3 T20s

Laaloo

12 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Good and bad. Good because Parthiv had to be retained as a batsman for this series and bad that we will be missing Saha, the keeper.

Ganguly is right. It does put pressure on Saha, especially if Parthiv ends up keeping well in next two games. I hope Parthiv has a clean game and continues to work on his faults. Thing with Parthiv is not his technique as a keeper, it is his complacency that he misses the same catches, the ones which he had caught before. That is more mental than anything. Yes, he will have few minor errors, but at international level, player can manage as long as they are " staying in the game," but Parthiv does not at times and hence he makes morels errors than other keepers. 

Like I wrote in another post ..Parthiv can probably keep for T20 or even 50 over but for 150-200 overs in test match he is bound to lose concentration and drop or miss stumping...he and Dinesh Karthik cannot be international level keeper. He can only be stop gap arrangement beyond that you are risking teams performance

Virat Kohli has expressed displeasure at the Christmas break England's players will have between the Tests and the limited-overs series in India. Kohli also asked for an eight-day gap between Tests on India's away tours in the future, and did not sound happy that England, under pressure, were getting time to recuperate between the third and fourth Tests.

"We didn't ask for the gap, it was part of the schedule," Kohli said, when asked if the eight-day gap had helped the team after three back-to-back Tests. "Make sure when we go there, we also have eight days' gap after three Tests and a 25-day gap between ODIs and Tests. We didn't ask for it, but seeing the long season ahead, it did us no harm. It actually helped us rest a bit, reflect on what we have done in the two games that we have won, and visualise again and come back even more fresh compared to the last two Test matches.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2016-17/content/story/1071293.html

I think Kohli has a point.

While here our Dhoni will be captaining odi side with zero match practice

20 hours ago, Lala said:

My predictions For ODIS - India 3-0 win is expected, but for T20 England winning 2-1 is expected. When it comes to T20s there are no good or bad teams. :thinking:

Its more likely the other way around.  I would say England has the best ODI batting unit in cricket right now.  

A lot will depend on whether Ashwin Jadeja and Shami will.be available for the Odis .

If we go in with our first choice XI , we will easily roll over England in our conditions

Dhawan

Rohit

Kohli

Dhoni

Rahul

Kedar/Pandey

Pandya / Jayant

Jadeja

Ashwin

Shami

Bumrah

That attack is more that capable of knocking off England attacking batsmen .

Despite being underrated we comfortably have the best bowling attack in the world .So it's more a question of whether our first choice team will be available

1 hour ago, BeautifulGame said:

A lot will depend on whether Ashwin Jadeja and Shami will.be available for the Odis .

If we go in with our first choice XI , we will easily roll over England in our conditions

Dhawan

Rohit

Kohli

Dhoni

Rahul

Kedar/Pandey

Pandya / Jayant

Jadeja

Ashwin

Shami

Bumrah

That attack is more that capable of knocking off England attacking batsmen .

Despite being underrated we comfortably have the best bowling attack in the world .So it's more a question of whether our first choice team will be available

Most of the people you mentioned are unavailable. Secondly, our ODI team is not doing that great in recent times - the middle order has some serious issues. The attack will knock over the Eng batsmen only if they are bowling oriented - on roads (which tyically occur in ODIs), Eng have a much higher number of batsmen with 95-100+ SRs.

Most of the people you mentioned are unavailable. Secondly, our ODI team is not doing that great in recent times - the middle order has some serious issues. The attack will knock over the Eng batsmen only if they are bowling oriented - on roads (which tyically occur in ODIs), Eng have a much higher number of batsmen with 95-100+ SRs.

That's why I said if the first choice bowlers are fit .

Most of our struggle also was majority due to the lack of first choice bowlers available.

Also have England actually beaten any decent odi team ? I don't remember them beating Aussies and we beat them 4-0 as well.South Africa despite host of Injuries beat them as well .

So what exactly the hype is based on ?

Most of our struggle also was majority due to the lack of first choice bowlers available.

Also have England actually beaten any decent odi team ? I don't remember them beating Aussies and we beat them 4-0 as well.South Africa despite host of Injuries beat them as well .

To me, it looks like KL Rahul's going to get a tryout as ODI opener, since Rohit is out, and Rahane is recovering from injury and flubbed his chances against NZ.   I'm not too impressed with Kedar Jadhav yet, not convinced he can do the job away from Indian pitches or against topclass pace bowlers.  So Pandya's absence does open up an opportunity to try out another middle-order bat - a Deepak Hooda maybe?  

As much as I love Raina and respect his contributions, I don't see him as part of WC 2019, so don't want him back.

24 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Dunno about that. They've beaten some teams they played against, but they may not have been the best. As for our first choice bowlers, Ashwin should be rested and picked primarily for Tests - he's not that potent a force in ODIs.

1 hour ago, diga said:

Still 4 days left for the test to start... Dont mind a seamers paradise.

seamers paradise in india would mean flatter pitch in 2nd innings
rank turner would be better to get result in effectively 3 days because of rain stoppages

35 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

Things looking bad in Chennai with the Vardah cyclone... Will BCCI swiftly take some action to move the test to some other location?

It doesn't look like it's even safe for the English team to get to Chennai, let alone play...

Would be prudent to shift this to one to Pune and play the India-Aus first test in Chennai in Feb

Cook mentioned briefly during the post-match interview that "if" we are going to Chennai.  He might have already received word on venue change that has not been made public yet?  At least I hope that happens if Chennai is not playable.  I don't want T5 being washed out...

20 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Cook mentioned briefly during the post-match interview that "if" we are going to Chennai.  He might have already received word on venue change that has not been made public yet?  At least I hope that happens if Chennai is not playable.  I don't want T5 being washed out...

Maybe he was just being cautious (like he usually is).