So how long is the rope for Saha?

Austin 3:!6

1 minute ago, fineleg said:

If MSD is willing to play as a player, he can be in the Test team now. I think nearly all wanted him to quit the captaincy - people are aware that as a pure player he is the best wk-batsman. But he should play as a player under captaincy of Virat Kohli. But clearly MSD decided no, and he retired from the longer form of cricket.

He wants to play till 2019 WC and 2020 T20 WC...only way he can do that is by saving his body from quitting Tests which he didn't care about anyways.

16 minutes ago, maniac said:

Saha is not as good as Parthiv,Karthik etc. with the bat,his keeping a shade better and with the gloves he is pretty mediocre,so what justifies his continuous selection?

handy contribution against SA, runs in SL, runs in WI along with a 100, runs against NZ...all these series have justified his continuous selection.

6 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

handy contribution against SA, runs in SL, runs in WI along with a 100, runs against NZ...all these series have justified his continuous selection.

But you seriously think,he is a long term selection.....I mean we don't have a keeper-batsman in India who is better than Saha at the moment? That is scary.

You don't perform just well enough to keep your place in your team,You are in the team because you are really good at 1 aspect.

I never said Saha deserves to be dropped,but he is overall pretty mediocre in both aspects...he has been good in patches

36 minutes ago, maniac said:

Definitely....He is very talented with the bat,no doubt....bit my response was to the post that just because Saha has a better batting average than Mongia/Kirmani,that makes him better than them.

Saha having a better batting average does not make him better than Kirmani or Mongia. Both were perhaps better keepers than Saha.  

The batting  average part was in response to a post that Mongia and More were better BATSMEN than Saha ....which is not true. Both were more inconsistent with the bat while being good keepers.

Just now, express bowling said:

Saha having a better batting average does not make him better than Kirmani or Mongia. Both were perhaps better keepers than Saha.  

The batting  average part was in response to a post that Mongia and More were better BATSMEN than Saha ....which is not true. Both were more inconsistent with the bat while being good keepers.

Ok fair enough...Saha might be a better batsman but all I am saying is as an overall package he may be not as good as Mongia or Kirmani...keyword maybe

8 hours ago, Sidhoni said:

Why wouldn't he play under Virat? He has spoken about having no problems if the selectors decide to remove him as captain. The reason for him retiring as a player was the workload more than anything.

Indeed, Dhoni is a big time team player. Wasn't the best Indian test keeper but he will never have any problem playing under anyone.

Though I must say that he is one of those characters who might just surprise us and call it quits, the day he gives his captaincy away to another player. Not because he does not want to play under another player,  but because he might not enjoy the game game the same way he was enjoying with the added responsibility. I am a big Kohli supporter when it comes to captaincy, but team players like Dhoni come once in a very long time. I hope he is around till the 2019 world cup. 

10 hours ago, maniac said:

But you seriously think,he is a long term selection.....I mean we don't have a keeper-batsman in India who is better than Saha at the moment? That is scary.

You don't perform just well enough to keep your place in your team,You are in the team because you are really good at 1 aspect.

I never said Saha deserves to be dropped,but he is overall pretty mediocre in both aspects...he has been good in patches

You don't always want a long-term solution. He is there till someone else is ready.