Parthiv Patel in third test?

kosingh

Always wary about Parthiv, because each time he makes a comeback, we hear that he has "improved" as a keeper. I seem to remember the improved keeping claims when he came back in tests in 2008 and then again when he came back in ODIs 3-4 years ago. And he always disappoints. 

Just now, kosingh said:

Always wary about Parthiv, because each time he makes a comeback, we hear that he has "improved" as a keeper. I seem to remember the improved keeping claims when he came back in tests in 2008 and then again when he came back in ODIs 3-4 years ago. And he always disappoints. 

As long as he doesn't have more than one drop, and bats decent, scoring 30-odd - he's done his job as a stop-gap.  

It would be a bit of a problem if he ends up scoring a crucial century...

7 hours ago, sandeep said:

Where did I say he's terrible.  He's inexperienced in long-form cricket, where its not just about skill, its also about fitness - It takes experience and practice to be able to keep without making errors for long periods of time.  You could have the required skills but you need to do it in order to be able to execute it at high level for extended periods of time.  

And its clear bias and immaturity on your part if you want to use Parthiv's shoddy keeping from 12 years ago to judge him today.  Again, I'm no Parthiv fan, quite the opposite.  But at least there's a track record to go by, not saying he's Kirmani-class 'keeper, but he's adequate now.  

Have you watched him keep recently or are you now passing off your personal opinions as facts?

6 minutes ago, fineleg said:

^ Vijay stole Karthik's wife (ex-w) and they are close "buddies"? :) Maybe because Karthik got Pallikal - all is well and forgotten. Even then - would Vijay be able to invite Karthik home for dinner? :laugh:

Yep. I was just being sarcastic... I want to see them open the batting together

7 minutes ago, fineleg said:

^ Vijay stole Karthik's wife (ex-w) and they are close "buddies"? :) Maybe because Karthik got Pallikal - all is well and forgotten. Even then - would Vijay be able to invite Karthik home for dinner? :laugh:

Yes, they can all eat lots of sambar together.

I don't know how true but today's newspaper mentioned that it was not possible for pant to reach Mohali from wayanad and start playing straight away. Match finishes on 24th Nd he needed to reach Mohali on 25th. So according to this news pappu got lucky that pant can't reach in time. I think this happened recently too where the visa of someone wasn't ready in time.

Sent from my SM-G550FY using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, sscomp32 said:

I don't know how true but today's newspaper mentioned that it was not possible for pant to reach Mohali from wayanad and start playing straight away. Match finishes on 24th Nd he needed to reach Mohali on 25th. So according to this news pappu got lucky that pant can't reach in time. I think this happened recently too where the visa of someone wasn't ready in time.

But, Pant was already out by Nov 23 and could have left immediately.

But, Pant was already out by Nov 23 and could have left immediately.

Still pant won't get time to prepare himself and join the time. 1 day is too less of a time between 2 multi day games.

Also I don't know if players have left between a FC match. I always thought they leave after the match.

Just now, sscomp32 said:

Still pant won't get time to prepare himself and join the time. 1 day is too less of a time between 2 multi day games.

Also I don't know if players have left between a FC match. I always thought they leave after the match.

Not sure myself. I thought KLR joined team with only 1 day gap as well. Anyway, I don't think this was the main reason for keeping out Panth-er. Selectors probably felt he was too "raw" and wanted someone closer in age to Saha (and Misbah).

10 hours ago, sandeep said:

u-19 guys don't play 4 day games except from some occasional ones.  Have you guys ever done wicket-keeping for even 20 overs?  Its not an easy job, physically and skill-wise.  To do that at the highest level for potentially 5 sessions at a time, is not an easy ask for someone who hasn't had much practice of doing that.  

I'm no Party Patel fan - will never forgive him for Sydney.  But since Naman Ojha was ruled out and goddam Sanju Samson has stagnated ( a guy I really liked early on), It boils down to him and karthik as the top options.  IF (and only if) pappu has improved his keeping to be a contender, why should it be held against him that he was a bad keeper at age of 20?  Selection is based on his skill, form and performance today, not 10 years ago.  Why should he be written off based on the past, just to satisfy fans' desire to see "new" names?  

Personally, I always felt Karthik was the better batsman - but Team India even gave Karthik opportunities as a pure batsman - and he failed to to make them count.  I think I even posted a thread a few months back arguing for Karthik over Saha, before Saha made those decent scores in the windies tour.

But its undeniable that Party Patel has been rock solid with his batting performances consistently over the last few seasons in Ranji.  If the selectors felt that he was the better choice over Karthik, and are confident in his 'keeping abilities, then its not the worst judgement call in the world.  

U19 guys play 3-day games in Cooch Behar trophy. So 4-day game isn't something big when they are already playing 3-day games.