Outside cricket, what has Tendulkar been for India ?

narenpande1

btw, i'd like to point out that Tendulkar isn't dead or 90 yet that we can look back on his life and wonder what he has done.

Man's only 43. And he retired from his profession 3 years ago. After having spent 24 years in it.

Like, if you were wildly successful in your career- a superstar and mega rich and JUST retired @ 40, wouldn't you be atleast enjoying your retirement for a few years, before boredom takes over and you do something else ?

i know i would!

7 hours ago, mishra said:

Aur Kuchh pharmaish. Seriously :adore:

First, let's see if he would like to start with something that .... those are serious issues facing Ind currently and something that could impact its future. So if an icon like him can take a stand to guide the general population, it will help to fast track Ind's progress

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Like, if you were wildly successful in your career- a superstar and mega rich and JUST retired @ 40, wouldn't you be atleast enjoying your retirement for a few years, before boredom takes over and you do something else ?

i know i would!

Depends upon issues on hand .... Talking about issues relating to national or community interest, you usually dont do those to fight boredom ..... Gandhiji did not come to Ind to fight for its struggle for independence because he was bored with being a lawyer in SA 

27 minutes ago, zen said:

Depends upon issues on hand .... Talking about issues relating to national or community interest, you usually dont do those to fight boredom ..... Gandhiji did not come to Ind to fight for its struggle for independence because he was bored with being a lawyer in SA 

During his last 4-5 years in South Africa , Mahatma Gandhi wasn't a practicing lawyer. He was a political activist. Set up "Tolstoy Farm" and perfected the Satyagraha there.

Not a very good analogy.

Also... lets not forget that it is India's hopelessness overall as a sporting country that has also contributed to making Tendulkar who he is.

Tendulkar would not be as celebrated if he played for a sporting superpower country where there are lot many achievers....

Nor would he be as celebrated were he born in a small country without the boom in economy and 100 media channels 24*7.

He has been extremely lucky to be born in India and played for India at the right time.

i don't blame Tendulkar entirely for this.. but there was a time where we had such a loser mentality as a nation.. that we are okay with risking a draw or loss as long as Tendulkar scored a ton and his personal records were stand out...we were happy with being a mid table mediocre team in the 90s but it was more important than Tendulkar was rated higher than his peers in the ICC cricket ratings.... I clearly remember this mentality in the 90s

also let's be practical - cricket is only a bloody common wealth game, only 10 countries seriously play cricket and they don't include mega sporting nations like

US, Russia, China or major European powerhouses.

Overall as a sportsman when you count all global sports and Olympic greats who have won multiple golds, - Tendulkar does not even belong to the top 500 sportsmen in the world.

this is a practical reality that Bhakts will never want to know.

But he is a superstar in India nonetheless.

39 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

During his last 4-5 years in South Africa , Mahatma Gandhi wasn't a practicing lawyer. He was a political activist. Set up "Tolstoy Farm" and perfected the Satyagraha there.

Not a very good analogy.

Thank you for the info

The core point is about fighting against exploitation whether of humans, planet or wildlife is not done just because someone is fighting boredom 

1 hour ago, zen said:

First, let's see if he would like to start with something that .... those are serious issues facing Ind currently and something that could impact its future. So if an icon like him can take a stand to guide the general population, it will help to fast track Ind's progress

Whatever you mentioned just google them terms along with Tendulkar. You will see him supporting Indian PMs program selfie with daughter campaign (non Congress one) to varios UNesco ones. 

Dont be ignorant  for sake of your blind argument

52 minutes ago, mishra said:

Whatever you mentioned just google them terms along with Tendulkar. You will see him supporting Indian PMs program selfie with daughter campaign (non Congress one) to varios UNesco ones. 

Dont be ignorant  for sake of your blind argument

I have not said that he does not do it. What you originally quoted clearly mentioned that him taking more sustained effort would be appreciated 

PS also read post #164 Link

Edited by zen

3 hours ago, zen said:

Gandhiji was not a multi-millionaire who'd dedicated every waking moment of his life in pursuit of his art since the age of 5 till 40, who'd just retired.

Also, India is not facing issues like those of Gandhi. 

Woah... what have we come down to .. comparison with Mahatma ?? What a bloody shame ....

As randomguy aptly put it... Tendulkar was a very good cricketer.. but a very ordinary human being.  That summed it up perfectly.

There are 10s of millions of ordinary Indians much much better than Tendulkar.

Only they don't have the means or resources to impact Indian society.

Edited by narenpande1

1 hour ago, Muloghonto said:

Gandhiji was not a multi-millionaire who'd dedicated every waking moment of his life in pursuit of his art since the age of 5 till 40, who'd just retired.

Also, India is not facing issues like those of Gandhi. 

At its core, Gandhiji's fight was against exploitation. Today, too the fight is against exploitation such as of natural resources, wildlife, people, etc. 

So when do ppl who have influence over it fight it? I guess when they are bored with pursuing their artvand shooting ads. 

1 hour ago, zen said:

At its core, Gandhiji's fight was against exploitation. Today, too the fight is against exploitation such as of natural resources, wildlife, people, etc. 

So when do ppl who have influence over it fight it? I guess when they are bored with pursuing their artvand shooting ads. 

Today's scenario has a lot of grey areas, since we need to exploit natural resources & wildlife to make civilization tick. Its about doing it in a sustainable way, which is where the grey area is.The fight against exploring people is also a grey fight- there isn't an authority or agency to protest against or who controls the whole thing. What do you want Tendulkar to do ? Go hunt down pimps and human traffickers batman-style ? 

1 hour ago, narenpande1 said:

Woah... what have we come down to .. comparison with Mahatma ?? What a bloody shame ....

As randomguy aptly put it... Tendulkar was a very good cricketer.. but a very ordinary human being.  That summed it up perfectly.

There are 10s of millions of ordinary Indians much much better than Tendulkar.

Only they don't have the means or resources to impact Indian society.

of course they do. But they don't.

And as i said, its better to work towards a better social system than look for social justice warriors to correct wrongs.

9 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Today's scenario has a lot of grey areas, since we need to exploit natural resources & wildlife to make civilization tick. Its about doing it in a sustainable way, which is where the grey area is.The fight against exploring people is also a grey fight- there isn't an authority or agency to protest against or who controls the whole thing. What do you want Tendulkar to do ? Go hunt down pimps and human traffickers batman-style ? 

There are no grey areas. Exploitation is not acceptable. 

What do I want Ten to do?! I have already mentioned that.

20 minutes ago, zen said:

There are no grey areas. Exploitation is not acceptable. 

What do I want Ten to do?! I have already mentioned that.

Ofcourse there is grey areas as far as exploitation of land & animals go. As i said, civilization is based on it. So when you stop exploiting land and animals, you go back to being a savage.

2 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

of course they do. But they don't.

And as i said, its better to work towards a better social system than look for social justice warriors to correct wrongs.

Economics is not your stronger suit it seems.....

To have the sort of social security net/ social justice, the bare minimum requirement is for the govt to have tax revenue tools to push  Tax/GDP ratio atleast above 25 %, so as to give govt wiggle room to provide the most underprivileged some safety net.  Ours is barely over 15 %. NREGA is our attempt in this area, but it is merely 100 days of guaranteed work for the most primitive skilled low paying jobs barely paying above poverty line.

At this stage of its industrial cycle towards development where we need TONS of foreign investment - we cannot afford to raise taxes.

At a stage of very high industrial development - one can either adopt the path of a welfare state with very high taxes and a very high tax to GDP ratio, so that no one is left behind ( like all  the Scandinavian countries)  or a mixed state like the UK and Canada, or continue being full on capitalist like USA.

India is atleast 50 years away from that level of development.

It does not hurt for eminent citizens like Sachin and others from the cine world who have mass following to set examples to the many extremely wealthy sections of society to open their purses and hearts for the unfortunate...

Edited by narenpande1