Rahul Dravid’s K factor watch thread (formerly Kumble’s)

maniac

15 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Well now a lot of people think Gowtham should be playing for India . Lol 

You should start giving players with non Telugu roots a little credit 

That was an old post before anyone even knew who K.Gowtham was anyways 

Before  our time, assuming we are more or less in the same age group there used to be a Bombay lobby that dominated cricket. This is not a made up thing because Sunil Gavaskar himself said that it was more difficult to get into the Mumbai side than the Indian team because once you got through the Mumbai side, there was atleast a 80% chance you will make it to the Indian team.

However for our generation the biggest lobby I have seen watching cricket is the Karnataka lobby when Brijesh patel was in a prime role.

Between 1996-1999 at one point we had a majority of Kumble,Srinath,Dravid,Prasad,Joshi,Ganesh,David Johnson, Somsunder, Bharadwaj etc etc combo being part of the same squad. 

While 3-4 players pick themselves regardless of region. Dravid,Kumble,Srinath and maybe even  benefit of doubt to Prasad, I refuse to believe that there wasn’t a better spinner than Joshi in Indian domestics in the 90s.

In the 1996 season at one point we had a pace attack of Srinath,Prasad,Johnson and Ganesh play together in a couple of test matches. Are you telling me there wasn’t a better alternative?

I have nothing against any specific region but I have seen blatant Karnataka lobby in cricket in the 90s.

I took Kumble’s side because it was clearly wrong the way he was let go. There was no bias there.

However I opened this thread to show things like this can happen and now they are happening at kings X1 :giggle: . That doesn’t make any of the players less talented but it is just too convenient that  all Karnataka players have assembled like the avengers once Kumble became the coach of Punjab 

1 hour ago, maniac said:

Before  our time, assuming we are more or less in the same age group there used to be a Bombay lobby that dominated cricket. This is not a made up thing because Sunil Gavaskar himself said that it was more difficult to get into the Mumbai side than the Indian team because once you got through the Mumbai side, there was atleast a 80% chance you will make it to the Indian team.

However for our generation the biggest lobby I have seen watching cricket is the Karnataka lobby when Brijesh patel was in a prime role.

Between 1996-1999 at one point we had a majority of Kumble,Srinath,Dravid,Prasad,Joshi,Ganesh,David Johnson, Somsunder, Bharadwaj etc etc combo being part of the same squad. 

While 3-4 players pick themselves regardless of region. Dravid,Kumble,Srinath and maybe even  benefit of doubt to Prasad, I refuse to believe that there wasn’t a better spinner than Joshi in Indian domestics in the 90s.

In the 1996 season at one point we had a pace attack of Srinath,Prasad,Johnson and Ganesh play together in a couple of test matches. Are you telling me there wasn’t a better alternative?

I have nothing against any specific region but I have seen blatant Karnataka lobby in cricket in the 90s.

I took Kumble’s side because it was clearly wrong the way he was let go. There was no bias there.

However I opened this thread to show things like this can happen and now they are happening at kings X1 :giggle: . That doesn’t make any of the players less talented but it is just too convenient that  all Karnataka players have assembled like the avengers once Kumble became the coach of Punjab 

No sir , its only you who thought it was funny that Gowtham for India A , most people who watch domestic cricket would not have been surprised . So my bet is you dint know much about domestic cricket even back in 90s .

The period you are talking about , late 90s Karnataka had very dominant team , they won Ranji in 96  , 97 and 98 , should have won or at least in finals in 99 ( Semis against Hyd was fixed , with Ganesh and co letting laxman score a tripple and throwing the match for few thousand rupees  ) . I clearly remember Ganesh was highest wicket taker and Bharadwaj was rungetter the season they where picked and I bet the likes of Somsundar , Joshi and David johnsons had great records too

The only player I thought who was genuinely average was Somsundar from little I saw him . Brijesh patel factor probably played with 1-2 players , but these 3-4 players combined barely played 20 games between them for India .

As for Kumble , I dont see how its any different from Aus/SA coaches getting their players to IPL teams . its hardly a big deal , its only an issue if an undeserving players gets a contract cos of his influence . 

I find it more annoying when you of all the people start pointing fingers . 

Edited by jusarrived
5 minutes ago, sandeep said:

"Rayudu garu was unfairly treated by Indian team."

You want me start bringing up the “poker techniques?” :giggle: 

Anyway you are misquoting me, I said Rayudu was unfairly dropped right before the WC and my stand would have been the same if it was any other player in his place.  In fact I did say him getting a shot based on IPL form was unfair   When he made a comeback.

forget the banter, do you really think Rayudu was treated right before the wc?

Coming to this topic apparently SA and Aus coach working with their countrymen is the same as Kumble assembling the K players in Kings according to @jusarrived Anna :hysterical:

17 minutes ago, maniac said:

The pro poker playing Gujju on a Diwali night playing his cards smartly to not show bias  hehehehe.

"hehehehe".  So you are quoting your own made up trash as evidence of, what exactly?

Is Washington Sundar, Bhuvi, or Sanju Samson gujju btw, let me know, since you seem to care a lot about what state these Indian players come from and what their ethnic background is.

Edited by sandeep
3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

"hehehehe".  So you are quoting your own made up trash as evidence of, what exactly?

Is Washington Sundar, Bhuvi, or Sanju Samson gujju btw, let me know, since you seem to care a lot about what state these Indian players come from and what their ethnic background is.

So is Ishant Sharma, Prithvi Shaw and Ben Duckett,Steve Smith or Roston Chase  from telugu speaking families?

1 hour ago, Lannister said:

The best thing to happen for K fans. I see him going for Shreyas and Padikkal in the coming auction. It was hard for us to root for an arsehole like Kohli and his RCB.

The K 11 could easily beat the **** out of Indian T20 team.

Lalloo Lannister... Padikkal & Shreyas are not released by their franchises. Read up before you comment Maga

@jusarrived @coffee_rules @diga

Andhra/Telangana and Karnataka people sahodararu (brothers) ok :two_thumbs_up:

Anyways I have observed that whenever a Karnataka ex player becomes in charge in a captaincy/coaching/ admin role some Karnataka players start getting opportunities. Some undeservingly too

Now I know Karnataka is a domestic powerhouse and a consistent top performer so naturally their players will be in contention however I am not talking about the Dravids, Kumbles or Srinaths of the world who were my heroes growing up.

Not talking about the Venky Prasad or Joshis of the world who were adequate for the requirements/availability  of that time.

Not even talking about the Pandey’s or Vinny K’s who despite being ordinary earned their spots by consistent performance at the domestic level.

I don’t want to see a sudden influx of the Dodda Ganesh, David Johnson, Somasundars of the world starting to make their way into the side.

Already Gowtham is in the A side, Pandey got repeated opportunities and extended run  in Srilanka etc.

Time to bring back the refreshed tracker :)

Having said that one guy I really want to get one fair shot is Karun Nair. He may be a shell of what he was in his prime  but he was handled terribly and he deserves some comeuppance. Give him one run and dispatch him to get closure. You can’t undo it but at least will be a closure.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:06 PM, maniac said:

Chairman of selectors during that period was vishwanath, Mumbai in domestic cricket  were unbeatable during the 70s/80s, all the players that were picked for international honours were on merit except gulam Parkar, guys like paddy shivalkar, ankola, raju Kulkarni could have easily been given a longer rope

On 12/10/2021 at 11:56 PM, maniac said:

@jusarrived @coffee_rules @diga

Andhra/Telangana and Karnataka people sahodararu (brothers) ok :two_thumbs_up:

Anyways I have observed that whenever a Karnataka ex player becomes in charge in a captaincy/coaching/ admin role some Karnataka players start getting opportunities. Some undeservingly too

Now I know Karnataka is a domestic powerhouse and a consistent top performer so naturally their players will be in contention however I am not talking about the Dravids, Kumbles or Srinaths of the world who were my heroes growing up.

Not talking about the Venky Prasad or Joshis of the world who were adequate for the requirements/availability  of that time.

Not even talking about the Pandey’s or Vinny K’s who despite being ordinary earned their spots by consistent performance at the domestic level.

I don’t want to see a sudden influx of the Dodda Ganesh, David Johnson, Somasundars of the world starting to make their way into the side.

Already Gowtham is in the A side, Pandey got repeated opportunities and extended run  in Srilanka etc.

Time to bring back the refreshed tracker :)

Having said that one guy I really want to get one fair shot is Karun Nair. He may be a shell of what he was in his prime  but he was handled terribly and he deserves some comeuppance. Give him one run and dispatch him to get closure. You can’t undo it but at least will be a closure.

The problem is you dont follow domestic cricket .

The 3-4 years between 96-99 Karnataka was very dominant in Ranjis, I think they won twice in a row and back then it was far more difficult with a much stronger Mumbai than you have seen in past decade .

Somasundar played 2 games, Ganesh 3 or 4 and David Johnson 2-3 game  . All three put together got less than 15 games.  if you go back and check what these guys did in domestic, you will find somasundar has scored 800+ runs with a match winning 99 in Ranji finals, Ganesh IIRC created some record of picking 65+ wickets in a season, same with Johnson who was known to be genuinely quick . Sure it did help having a selector from Karnataka, they may or may not have played for India otherwise, but none of these guys where picked without having performed in Domestic cricket. They where as bad/good as other fringe players, could argue they got lucky but also could say they dint get a longer run as it was felt that Karnataka was overrepresented.

As for Andhra Karnataka brotherhood, you should thank us for making VVS laxmans career. The semis against Hyd in 99 was fixed, A cousin of mine was a good friend with Johnson and apparently they wer paid 50k to bowl badly and VVS piled in a triple hundred and eventually got a call up, rest is is history. 

40 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

The problem is you dont follow domestic cricket .

The 3-4 years between 96-99 Karnataka was very dominant in Ranjis, I think they won twice in a row and back then it was far more difficult with a much stronger Mumbai than you have seen in past decade .

Somasundar played 2 games, Ganesh 3 or 4 and David Johnson 2-3 game  . All three put together got less than 15 games.  if you go back and check what these guys did in domestic, you will find somasundar has scored 800+ runs with a match winning 99 in Ranji finals, Ganesh IIRC created some record of picking 65+ wickets in a season, same with Johnson who was known to be genuinely quick . Sure it did help having a selector from Karnataka, they may or may not have played for India otherwise, but none of these guys where picked without having performed in Domestic cricket. They where as bad/good as other fringe players, could argue they got lucky but also could say they dint get a longer run as it was felt that Karnataka was overrepresented.

As for Andhra Karnataka brotherhood, you should thank us for making VVS laxmans career. The semis against Hyd in 99 was fixed, A cousin of mine was a good friend with Johnson and apparently they wer paid 50k to bowl badly and VVS piled in a triple hundred and eventually got a call up, rest is is history. 

wow .. thats a big allegation about Johnson & Karnataka bowlers...

But the rest you mentioned is true. I dont think anyone from Karnataka was selected based on "potential" without domestic performances.  Major disappointment was Raghuram Bhat (against whom Gavaskar was forced to bat left handed)

2 hours ago, diga said:

wow .. thats a big allegation about Johnson & Karnataka bowlers...

But the rest you mentioned is true. I dont think anyone from Karnataka was selected based on "potential" without domestic performances.  Major disappointment was Raghuram Bhat (against whom Gavaskar was forced to bat left handed)

Yeah but am fairly certain it was true and it's hardly surprising they would throw domestic matches back then when there was no money in it. 

23 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Yeah but am fairly certain it was true and it's hardly surprising they would throw domestic matches back then when there was no money in it. 

So who exactly paid 50k, that is just pure nonsense and insult to VVS laxman. Laxman was a very good batsman who did not need any help from anyone.