Personal milestones 'out of our system' - Kohli

vvvslaxman

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

The declaration and other aspects on D4 is always depending on how the pitch is behaving on D4, if our tail is making merry why do you want our bowlers to suffer, as a captain?. You are so certain that given 10-15 overs, Ash and Jaddu would have taken 2-3 wkts..is a not something a captain in play would know for sure. Eng have a 3 AM flight to catch after D5 and have a Christmas vacation with their cozy family. If their mental strength is strong enough, let them survive 90 overs tomorrow.  As a captain who has already won the series, there is no motivation to take a risk on D4 to force a win based on a hunch., just because a few fans want a 4-0 win. Some fans are content with a 3-0 win. and a 300 to boot. Fans remember a 300 more than a mere 4-0 win compared to a 3-0 win.

46 minutes ago, maniac said:

So people wanted Kohli to declare when his team mate was on 270+ just to prove a point to soem ICFR's.....great way to build a team and earn the confidence of his team mates that would have been :facepalm:

You need context....if a player is playing 30-40 balls to get those 10 runs to reach a 100 yes that is where this context can apply but not denying his young team mate a chance of acheiving something special...how is that contradicting or making Kohli a hypocrite :wall:

then milestones are not completely out of the window :sad:

13 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

2-3 wkts , yes on a wearing pitch. This is not a wearing pitch even on D4, so any amount of time stipulate is not good enough. Only a implosion from Eng on D5 is what will guarantee a win. Don't think this about a normal wearing pitch of test cricket. Even with spin, there are ways to survive on this pitch which was proved by our Ashwin/Jadeja on D4, the pitch is not threatening to enforce a win with these declaring tactics. 

Sometimes I feel that people have forgotten Rahul Dravid, the ODI player. The dude has 70 plus ODI fifties,11k runs and average of 40 in ODIs.

The amount of times he saved our @$$ when we were in trouble with scores like 30-3 etc is just hard to forget. He set up so many games for us in ODI's too like Tendulkar.

In my 10 years on ICF, I have seen many not recognize that about Dravid. He was a class player for us not only in Tests but even in ODIs.

They should have declared when Nair got his 250. It's a tough one, and there probably isn't a right or wrong view. But obviously the more overs they bowled yesterday the more the likelihood of a wicket falling - as Finey says after having chased the ball around for all that time. Had we not been 3-0 up, no doubt the declaration would have been much sooner 

3 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Sometimes I feel that people have forgotten Rahul Dravid the ODI player. The dude has 70 plus ODI fifties,11k runs and average of 40 in ODIs.

The amount of times he saved our @$$ when we were in trouble with scores like 30-3 etc is just hard to forget. He set up so many games for us in ODI's too like Tendulkar.

In my 10 years on ICF, I have seen many mot recognize that about Dravid. He was a class player for us not only in Tests but even in ODIs.

Yeah. I'd be interested to see what his Sr was in the middle to latter phase of his career. I know he struggled a bit to begin with. He was a very very good middle order bat.

14 hours ago, fineleg said:

@coffee_rules and @rkt.india It is not about just 10-15 overs. This is 10-15 overs during end of the day after England were run ragged. That increases the likelihood of 2 or 3 wickets. That's the difference. Normal 10-15 overs different from that sort of declaration. That's what Kohli has missed here.

on the same pitch where Jadeja was taking their bowlers apart, Nair scored his last 100 in 74 balls, you would be really naive to think those extra 10 overs would have made a huge difference. They did play 5 overs.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

on the same pitch where Jadeja was taking their bowlers apart, Nair scored his last 100 in 74 balls, you would be really naive to think those extra 10 overs would have made a huge difference. They did play 5 overs.

This is it, we don't know. The circumstances are so different, Nair and Jadeja scored those runs against tiring bowlers who were on the field for two days. Then the England openers would have been out to bat after being in the field for two days  - as Finey said all the mental and physical fatigue that brings - against fresh bowlers. A tiny lapse in concentration - which was more likely last night batting 15 as opposed to 5 overs...  - was all it took for one wicket.

Like I said , there is no right or wrong on this one. On the one side we could have forced a 4-0, or given ourselves a better shot- on the the other it was a chance to achieve an extremely rare triple hundred. Anyway Root just fallen so all this discussion is hopefully moot :)

Edited by Sooda
3 minutes ago, Sooda said:

This is it, we don't know. The circumstances are so different, Nair and Jadeja scored those runs against tiring bowlers who were on the field for two days. Then the England openers would have been out to bat after being in the field for two days  - as Finey said all the mental and physical fatigue that brings - against fresh bowlers. A tiny lapse in concentration - which was more likely last night batting 15 as opposed to 5 overs...  - was all it took for one wicket.

Like I said , there is no right or wrong on this one. On the one side we could have forced a 4-0, or given ourselves a better shot- on the the other it was a chance to achieve an extremely rare triple hundred. Anyway Root just fallen so all this discussion is hopefully moot :)

thing is if cant get them out in 95 overs, dont see we could do that in 105 overs. Also, we would have had less lead, probably 50 odd runs less, they might have even surpass that and we might not have had the time to chase.

Man, @rkt.india again and again you are merely counting overs, 95, 105 etc. The 15 overs in fatigued situation is very different, and the likelihood of wickets is much higher in such situations.

I cannot believe you are comparing situation of Jadeja and Nair thrashing them, to when they have to bat 15 or 20 overs at end of day.

2 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Glad Kohli did what he did. What a champion captain. 

Which part? The part where he made statements about personal milestones or the part where he waited till Nair 300? While I agree to what you said, then there was no need for the first statement, was there? 

Just now, New guy said:

Which part? The part where he made statements about personal milestones or the part where he waited till Nair 300? While I agree to what you said, then there was no need for the first statement, was there? 

It is a casual statment where he must be speaking something and and said that. It shouldn't have turned into an article and eventually a thread here. 

And since there was so much debate about it, I must mention that there is nothing wrong in what he said.