Deepak Hooda, the finisher India needs.

Cricketics

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Has Deepak Hooda developed the ability to hit fast bowlers  ?  We need that from someone who is expected to bat in the last 10 overs.

That will come the more he plays. He is still 22, so if we put him in the line up and even if he bats at number 5 for 2 series, that ability to hit the fast bowlers will come.

Even if we end up playing Dhoni, or Rahane or KL Rahul at 4, we can always have HOODA and Pandya in the same line up.

For example, this line up is likely to produce better results for Indian in an ODI in terms of catching up on required run rate in a crucial chase or setting up a target, than some of the other line ups which have played recent.

The line up which can be tried if Dhoni stays in the team and Hooda is included

DHAWAN

ROHIT

KOHLI

DHONI

Hooda

Pandya

We can start of with this and lets try this for few series and see how it goes. 

11 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Has Deepak Hooda developed the ability to hit fast bowlers  ?  We need that from someone who is expected to bat in the last 10 overs.

Also lower down the order we need someone to bowl as well 

How many over can he bowl....he doesnt bowl much regulalry in domestic 

At this point shankar n krunal looks will offer more overs then hooda everyday 

14 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

That will come the more he plays. He is still 22, so if we put him in the line up and even if he bats at number 5 for 2 series, that ability to hit the fast bowlers will come.

Even if we end up playing Dhoni, or Rahane or KL Rahul at 4, we can always have HOODA and Pandya in the same line up.

For example, this line up is likely to produce better results for Indian in an ODI in terms of catching up on required run rate in a crucial chase or setting up a target, than some of the other line ups which have played recent.

The line up which can be tried if Dhoni stays in the team and Hooda is included

DHAWAN

ROHIT

KOHLI

DHONI

Hooda

Pandya

We can start of with this and lets try this for few series and see how it goes. 

Dhoni belongs at #7, unless we are 4 down before the 20th over.   Too much of a slow starter and momentum killer in the crucial middle over phase.  Can't be incumbent #4.   

41 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Dhoni belongs at #7, unless we are 4 down before the 20th over.   Too much of a slow starter and momentum killer in the crucial middle over phase.  Can't be incumbent #4.   

Dhoni can’t do much at 7. He can only score once he is set. So I rather have a guy averaging 50 runs which Dhoni has, bat higher up the order. He will rotate and keep things steady if he comes up, I am sure he will take 30 balls to score 20 runs and then will accelerate, compared to him doing better at 7.

We want him dropped from t20 for a reason so asking him to bat 7 is not going to work for India in 50 overs.

if Dhoni can’t play at 4, drop him from

the team I say. 

41 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Dhoni can’t do much at 7. He can only score once he is set. So I rather have a guy averaging 50 runs which Dhoni has, bat higher up the order. He will rotate and keep things steady if he comes up, I am sure he will take 30 balls to score 20 runs and then will accelerate, compared to him doing better at 7.

We want him dropped from t20 for a reason so asking him to bat 7 is not going to work for India in 50 overs.

if Dhoni can’t play at 4, drop him from

the team I say. 

That 50 average is a result of a ton of not outs, and a lot of runs scored in the past.   He's a liability at #4 unless we are rebuilding after a collapse.   You have to greatly reduce your expectations from Dhoni with the bat.   If Dhoni scores 50+ coming in at #4, that means he's actually taken 20 runs off of our possible ODI total.   That's only acceptable if we have a top order collapse.  There is no other scenario where you want him at the crease.   

Ideally I don't want him batting at all in ODIs, especially batting first.  He rightly comes last in the batting lineup, ahead of the bowlers - bhuvi etc.  

He's in the ODI team based on his quality glovework, proxy game management, and "experience".   Batting is a bonus at this point, and we need to employ the principle of "first do no harm" to keep him and his usual momentum killing 11(23) away from the crease unless the batsmen ahead of him go collapso.

10 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

You can say that about most Indian batsmen.

Yes, most Indian players who get put into Indian team face and bash the same bowlers which Hooda and co are bashing. Its not like they bashed Starc and co in Indin domestic cricket.

Unless Hooda is tried and given a run, players like him won’t improve. 

On 2/13/2018 at 12:02 PM, sandeep said:

That 50 average is a result of a ton of not outs, and a lot of runs scored in the past.   He's a liability at #4 unless we are rebuilding after a collapse.   You have to greatly reduce your expectations from Dhoni with the bat.   If Dhoni scores 50+ coming in at #4, that means he's actually taken 20 runs off of our possible ODI total.   That's only acceptable if we have a top order collapse.  There is no other scenario where you want him at the crease.   

Ideally I don't want him batting at all in ODIs, especially batting first.  He rightly comes last in the batting lineup, ahead of the bowlers - bhuvi etc.  

He's in the ODI team based on his quality glovework, proxy game management, and "experience".   Batting is a bonus at this point, and we need to employ the principle of "first do no harm" to keep him and his usual momentum killing 11(23) away from the crease unless the batsmen ahead of him go collapso.

Yes, it may not be a bad idea to send him at 8 or 9. he probably offers enough just as a pure keeper. although, on this front, I wonder how Saha would fare in ODIs (as a keeper alone).

41 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Yes, it may not be a bad idea to send him at 8 or 9. he probably offers enough just as a pure keeper. although, on this front, I wonder how Saha would fare in ODIs (as a keeper alone).

Saha would be a good replacement with gloves for sure, and at least 80% as good with the bat if not more.  But Dhoni undeniably also adds a bit of value in on-field game management.   And given our Captain's rather erm, limited, capacity in that department, we have to settle for the status quo for now.  

What we really need is one of the next-gen keepers to really make a strong case for selection - even if as a batsman.  The slots are sort of open at #4/5 if a Panth/Kishan/Samson goes on a proper tear with the bat.  That way he can get a foot in the door for a while, and the writing would really be on the wall.   

4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Saha would be a good replacement with gloves for sure, and at least 80% as good with the bat if not more.  But Dhoni undeniably also adds a bit of value in on-field game management.   And given our Captain's rather erm, limited, capacity in that department, we have to settle for the status quo for now.  

What we really need is one of the next-gen keepers to really make a strong case for selection - even if as a batsman.  The slots are sort of open at #4/5 if a Panth/Kishan/Samson goes on a proper tear with the bat.  That way he can get a foot in the door for a while, and the writing would really be on the wall.   

that's putting it rather mildly... cough... CT 2017... cough.

Anyway, I agree that the next-gen keepers need to make an impact in List A. Of this trio, Kishan seems to have found his groove by opening, and Delhi should have considered doing the same with Pant (either Chand or Gambhir could have dropped to 3).

18 minutes ago, Vijy said:

that's putting it rather mildly... cough... CT 2017... cough.

Anyway, I agree that the next-gen keepers need to make an impact in List A. Of this trio, Kishan seems to have found his groove by opening, and Delhi should have considered doing the same with Pant (either Chand or Gambhir could have dropped to 3).

Opening slot is already clogged with Rahane and Rahul in the queue.  In fact, top 3 slots in ODIs are pretty much locked for the next 3-4 years. Pant/Kishan/Samson need to come in through the #5/6 slot.  i.e. Do the Raina job with the bat.   Its donkeys work though, and hard to do with any sort of consistency.   

11 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Opening slot is already clogged with Rahane and Rahul in the queue.  In fact, top 3 slots in ODIs are pretty much locked for the next 3-4 years. Pant/Kishan/Samson need to come in through the #5/6 slot.  i.e. Do the Raina job with the bat.   Its donkeys work though, and hard to do with any sort of consistency.   

Abbey ghonchu...what are you finally saying here :laugh: Deepak Hooda gets in or no?

Raina,Rahul, Dhoni and bizarrely enough even Saha was brought in...what do you finally want to say pehle decide kar le.

56 minutes ago, maniac said:

Abbey ghonchu...what are you finally saying here :laugh: Deepak Hooda gets in or no?

Raina,Rahul, Dhoni and bizarrely enough even Saha was brought in...what do you finally want to say pehle decide kar le.

Tubelight, I can't be bothered with your comprehension issues, and your lame attempts at insults apart, did your momma never teach you not to butt in when 2 adults are talking?

10 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Tubelight, I can't be bothered with your comprehension issues, and your lame attempts at insults apart, did your momma never teach you not to butt in when 2 adults are talking?

Yeah you have displayed some amazing comprehension skills by derailing a topic :laugh:

anyways cyber bullying is a growing problem so I will take a high road as this seems to be approaching that territory....continue with your Ramayan about every other player in the squad than the one that is actually up for debate....if that didn’t happen that would have been a let down  :giggle: