What next for IT and IT professionals .

jusarrived

Not really a news anymore that the best phase of IT services is behind us , the industry even if it survives will not be in the same form it is right now . One thing certain is the job cuts and its only going to get worse in the next few years and its ripple effects in on other sectors .

So hows everyone coping ? 

As for Ind, it should focus/refocus its attention on industries such as logistics hub, travel, agriculture, education, green products, clean energy, medical, robotics, etc. 

With upcoming/advancement in technologies such as robotics, 3D printing, etc., manufacturing may become competitive again for the west, allowing it to make products closer to its customer base 

For Ind, merely aping the west to drive its development may not do much 

PS Cleanliness, going green, controlling population to optimal level, reducing corruption, etc, will need to take priority too, enabling Ind to become an attractive destination for FDI as well. The think tanks in Ind would need to develop new models positioning the country to leapfrog (and not play the catch up game) 

Edited by zen

14 minutes ago, zen said:

As for Ind, it should focus/refocus its attention on industries such as logistics, travel, agriculture, education, green products, clean energy, medical, robotics, etc. 

With upcoming/advancement in technologies such as robotics, 3D printing, etc., manufacturing may become competitive again for the west, allowing it to make products closer to its customer base 

For Ind, merely aping the west to drive its development may not do much 

PS Cleanliness, going green, controlling population to optimal level, reducing corruption, etc, will need to take priority too, enabling Ind to become an attractive destination for FDI as well. The think tanks in Ind would need to develop new models positioning the country to leapfrog (and not play the catch up game) 

Agreed , but this will take decades to show a positive impact . Either we have not invested enough or we do not have the skills in some of these areas . 

Job creation is going to be a challenge every where , not just India infact I would argue in comparison India is much better placed since Agriculture , Tourism , infra , education which can create jobs havent been even remotely exploited yet unlike the west where they have reached saturation at every level . 

My question is more specific to one industry here , which has been one of the biggest wealth creators for Indians just in a span of 2 decades . Are we really prepared for this or most of us still in denial ? 

manual testing jobs will be the most affected , followed by time keeping middle level jobs ..

also i expect salary to stabilise and the yearly hikes of 10-15% minimum are the thing of the past..

when i was with samsung , there use to be 40-45 people doing the testing for our team , but now they automated most of the things and only 4/5 guys are doing the automation testing instead of manual testing

7 minutes ago, velu said:

manual testing jobs will be the most affected , followed by time keeping middle level jobs ..

also i expect salary to stabilise and the yearly hikes of 10-15% minimum are the thing of the past..

when i was with samsung , there use to be 40-45 people doing the testing for our team , but now they automated most of the things and only 4/5 guys are doing the automation testing instead of manual testing

What exactly is automation testing ? QTP is pretty basic and selenium they need serious Java skills I believe . 

So like every other role its about having multiple skills .  The market is for jack of all trades rather than an expert in one area . 

21 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

What exactly is automation testing ? QTP is pretty basic and selenium they need serious Java skills I believe . 

So like every other role its about having multiple skills .  The market is for jack of all trades rather than an expert in one area . 

in mobiles most of the UI , module and functionality stuffs were traditionally tested manually , but with android they introduced UIAutomator module ( ditto copy of apples UIAutomation .. buggers not even bother to change the name ) which is pretty much replaced manual testing ( again good amount of people r needed to automate this ) ..

on the network side tetsing is done using agilent and simialr which needs little manual intervention..

i am a C guy :dance:

but ended up using java and obj C for mobile apps :sad:

26 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Companies like Microsoft are converting SDET roles to SDE now and trying to ensure that there are no dedicated testing roles. 

9 minutes ago, velu said:

in mobiles most of the UI , module and functionality stuffs were traditionally tested manually , but with android they introduced UIAutomator module ( ditto copy of apples UIAutomation .. buggers not even bother to change the name ) which is pretty much replaced manual testing ( again good amount of people r needed to automate this ) ..

on the network side tetsing is done using agilent and simialr which needs little manual intervention..

i am a C guy :dance:

but ended up using java and obj C for mobile apps :sad:

I have been telling my friends in Testing to get out for a few years now , you can imagine why this is one of the first roles companies will try to phase out . 

I wish I had the time to learn C , unfortunately being from  mechanical then getting into admin roles  I got the hang of coding very late . Am pretty comfortable with Perl/python/Java script/Powershell which is adequate for app/unix/sap/cloud support roles which am involved with .

22 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Companies like Microsoft are converting SDET roles to SDE now and trying to ensure that there are no dedicated testing roles. 

yeah thats the theory with lot of startups and smaller companies too . You are simply expected to do more , even in my company  am forced to manage teams which i have avoided for years though am purely in solution's .  

34 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

SDET guys in MS do lots of coding , so they dont struggle much moving to SDE..

but most of the guys in testing may not be able to move to coding .. even lots of senior development roles are at risk considering juniors with lower pay can easily repalce them 

Are there any interesting tech-startups being made in India right now? That would be an ideal way to absorb tech talent that has lost jobs with automation and restructuring. They would have to be retrained in many instances, but that could be a valuable investment. 

27 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

Are there any interesting tech-startups being made in India right now? That would be an ideal way to absorb tech talent that has lost jobs with automation and restructuring. They would have to be retrained in many instances, but that could be a valuable investment. 

vast majority of the startups here are imitation startups .. 

7 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Not really a news anymore that the best phase of IT services is behind us , the industry even if it survives will not be in the same form it is right now . One thing certain is the job cuts and its only going to get worse in the next few years and its ripple effects in on other sectors .

So hows everyone coping ? 

Indian IT sector needs to re-orient itself from CS focus to R&D focus. The future of IT is in web design, app design and web security. 

30 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Testing and admin jobs are already under automation. Developer jobs are next. Better establish own company.

low level development will eventually be automated. But there will always be dev jobs, because no matter how complex, someone will still need to develop and maintain the AI.

Besides, web development will always be there. Ultimately, people love being unique. And no-matter how sophisticated the AIs get- atleast in our lifetimes- we won't be able to make AI that designs websites that are not 'generic'. So think of it like art - it is a distinctly human concept that AI cannot re-create. 

7 hours ago, velu said:

vast majority of the startups here are imitation startups .. 

That's not bad, even China does lots of copying. They made a imitation Twitter that uses Chinese language instead of English. It is top 20 in Alexa rating.  I think it's called Weibo. They even use the same 140 character limit as twitter. The only issue would be to implement it in multiple languages.