Sign in to follow this  
Trichromatic

Arjun Tendulkar selected in Mumbai U-19 squad

Subroto Banerjee was working on the fitness level of his old ward Varun Aaron at the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru on Thursday afternoon, when he received a call from a known number.

As he took the call, a young voice from the other end sounded happy and slowly said, “I was bowling to Johny Bairstow, and a yorker hit him hard. He is injured…”

The excitement was missing as the youngster described the incident to his coach. But then, having known the ‘kid’ for years now, Banerjee understands that’s how his ward, Arjun Tendulkar, is calm, composed. “You would never hear him speak a word loudly. Unlike most of the boys of his age, Arjun doesn’t show his emotions much,” Banerjee tells Sportstar.

The former India pacer, who has been training Arjun for three years now, admits that the youngster has picked up this speciality from his father—Sachin Tendulkar. “Sachin always tells him to keep things simple and not think about your today’s achievements. This is just a job, and it is better to think about tomorrow—that’s what Sachin tells him,” Banerjee explains.

On a day when the social media is abuzz with the news of Arjun sending Bairstow hobbling off, the youngster is actually unfazed. “During the half-an-hour long conversation, we only spoke about how to focus on the game. Even as he spoke about Bairstow, he didn’t sound too excited. Rather he was busy talking about his stint with the MCC,” Banerjee says.

The young Tendulkar has been playing with MCC this season, and a couple of days back, he took a five-for and scored 48 runs during a game against a Namibian side. “Even after performing well, he asked me how to do better. These are the things that make him more likeable,” Banerjee, who happens to be a childhood friend of Sachin, says.

There have been instances when people have raised a few eyebrows about Arjun not making an impact, even at the age of 17. But his coach makes it clear that neither he nor Sachin are in a hurry. “We want him to stay at the top for a longer time, and for that it is important that you give the youngster enough time to get ready,” Banerjee says, adding that things will be clearer when Arjun starts playing for Mumbai at the U-19 level. “Only then, we will get a clearer picture of where he stands. As of now, things look okay with him. It’s just that, we don’t want him to peak early and fizzle out fast. It is better to have a slow and steady beginning,” the former cricketer says.

For this, however, both he and Sachin have made it a point to guard Arjun from all the limelight. “Sachin doesn’t want any special treatment for Arjun. He wants him to find his own way to success,” he says. Even Sachin had requested the media a couple of years back to give Arjun the required space. “We have all done our bit of struggle and we want Arjun to do the same thing,” the coach says.

Coming back from a back injury, Arjun has slowly started picking up, and the vastly-experienced coach feels this trip to England will help him grow more ahead of the U-19 sojourn. “Hard work is the key and Arjun always makes it a point to learn whatever is told to him. He is a sincere kid,” Banerjee says.

Switching off from what’s being written about, Arjun is now busy preparing for the next match. After all, even he knows there would be more Bairstow yorkers waiting for him if he can hit the bull’s eye. The eye is on the future!

55 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

subroto bannrjee is his bowling coach

Yes, but he will learn a lot from Tendulkar than any coach. His coach won’t remain the same or he won’t be in touch with Mr. Bannrjee all the time as he reaches different stage of his career. This is where travelling with Tendulkar to UK regularly in summer when Tendulkar goes there will continue to help him. 

Plus he got to fail, as failures will certainly help him learn and put more attention to his game every every aspect. 

if Arjun has a good work ethic and mental strength he will come back stronger from this and all the best to him on that.

What works in his favor is he will get plenty of more chances to show his improvement and also if he decides to quit, he would get plenty of time to figure out what next without having to worry about any basic necessities(and a little more).On the other hand any other player after these 2 outings would have been told to focus on studies or work towards earning a new life skill.

Thats the way the world works...not Arjun's fault and don't know why people are hating on him when anyone in his position would do the same.Atleast he is not like Ambani's kids who seem to just "indulge" in their wealth. He still trains and works the hard yards even when he can sit at home and play Xbox for the rest of his life with some sexy  gold diggers surrounding him.

Edited by maniac

This I don't agree with...even though I kind of admire Arjun putting in the hard yards even though he doesn't really need to, these net sessions could be used for local domestic or university players.

I remember watching  a net session once....Sachin was practicing and the local university bowlers(who looked like decent bowlers)  where bowling at him...he pretty much lofted and smashed every ball straight  like it was lollipop bowling even though it was evident that the university bowlers where giving it their all and the ball was coming at a decent pace....on the other hand Javagal Srinath would take 2 or 3 steps and roll his arm over and Sachin would just play a compact defensive shot.

Biggest takeaway from this anyway was Sir Aggy's batting practice :hail:

..the guy had proper technique and balance almost text book-esque

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

This I don't agree with...even though I kind of admire Arjun putting in the hard yards even though he doesn't really need to, these net sessions could be used for local domestic or university players.

I remember watching  a net session once....Sachin was practicing and the local university bowlers(who looked like decent bowlers)  where bowling at him...he pretty much lofted and smashed every ball straight  like it was lollipop bowling even though it was evident that the university bowlers where giving it their all and the ball was coming at a decent pace....on the other hand Javagal Srinath would take 2 or 3 steps and roll his arm over and Sachin would just play a compact defensive shot.

Biggest takeaway from this anyway was Sir Aggy's batting practice :hail:

..the guy had proper technique and balance almost text book-esque

these net sessions are open for everyone, from age group players to ranji player and they do take part in it and bowl to both teams at the nets.

23 minutes ago, Khota said:

May I know why is he given a preferntial treatment? How did he earn a right to bowl to Indian batsman? This is nonsense.

LOL .. He is now an U19 Mumbai player and not a keyboard warrior

Edited by msplash9

31 minutes ago, Khota said:

May I know why is he given a preferntial treatment? How did he earn a right to bowl to Indian batsman? This is nonsense.

why this is nonsense.  all u19, u23, club cricketers bowl at the nets of host and visiting teams. He is bowling at the nets like any other club cricketer does to give them practice.

11 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Arjun was definately at nets today, pretty much its him

DMmDP5vVoAEHsvz.jpg

yes, it was Arjun then because Royston will certainly be with Mumbai ranji team preparing for their next game.

Wishing Arjun a successful career, it's not easy since there is so much competition out there & on top of that..all the expectation pressure from the India public since his dad is a living legend who has achieved so much in his career.

Edited by Under_Score

On 9/12/2017 at 5:44 PM, Khota said:

I hope he is successful . I hope he is the best. I hope there is no preferential treatment. Odds are against him. How tall is he? Does he have the correct twitch muscles? What is his pace? Good luck to him and hope whatever he does is strictly based on merit.

He is pretty sharp for his age. He has been clocked at 131 in the past 

30 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

He is pretty sharp for his age. He has been clocked at 131 in the past 

when he was 15 two years back in England. I have posted that 2015 video in this thread.

Edited by rkt.india

7 hours ago, rkt.india said:

why this is nonsense.  all u19, u23, club cricketers bowl at the nets of host and visiting teams. He is bowling at the nets like any other club cricketer does to give them practice.

No problem as long as this was based on merit. 

8 hours ago, msplash9 said:

LOL .. He is now an U19 Mumbai player and not a keyboard warrior

O.K...

How many bowlers were bowling to Indian team and what was his pecking order. Was he the best or there were better? 

I am skeptical of what you guys are saying that this is all merit. i am not buying it.

Gavaskars son. Then Binny. Now Tendulkar. I have never seen these things end well. Good luck.

Edited by Khota

/\ This guy is a bowler unlike his dad. This guy will be everything what his dad could not be. A genuine quickie! Its no secret that Sachin always wanted to be an express bowler, and it looks like its Tendulkar Jnr who will fulfill that dream. 

Arjun reminds me too much of Shaun Pollock. His looks, his runup style, his mannerisms. The only difference is, Pollock was a medium pace bowler while Arjun is trying to be an express bowler.

On 10/10/2017 at 6:32 PM, rkt.india said:

if his use of right hand gets better, he will bowl quicker.

No, his main problem is landing. His rhythm is wrong and his landing is wrong. Also, he is not catapulting using his back and hips to generate pace. So either he was not giving his 100% in the videos posted, or he needs to improve his landing and rhythm and use of rear muscles. 

47 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

No, his main problem is landing. His rhythm is wrong and his landing is wrong. Also, he is not catapulting using his back and hips to generate pace. So either he was not giving his 100% in the videos posted, or he needs to improve his landing and rhythm and use of rear muscles. 

Nice analysis. 

3 hours ago, Khota said:

No problem as long as this was based on merit. 

What merit? He is club cricket, playing u19 for Mumbai that is enough merit. You don't need some great qualification to be a net bowler. He is a left armer that probably also worked in his favor.

1 hour ago, Rightarmfast said:

Agree with you. I believe he will get better with his action. Though his run up is very good.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

What merit? He is club cricket, playing u19 for Mumbai that is enough merit. You don't need some great qualification to be a net bowler. He is a left armer that probably also worked in his favor.

If in your heart you feel it was all merit than there is nothing to discuss.

1 hour ago, Rightarmfast said:

His run up and his hand positioning has Shaun Pollock written all over it!

That means he is line length and control. I will let our resident expert shed more light (Rightarmfast) on it. Dont you need a whiplash action for pace?

12 minutes ago, Khota said:

That means he is line length and control. I will let our resident expert shed more light (Rightarmfast) on it. Dont you need a whiplash action for pace?

Theres something about him that reminds me so much of Shaun Pollock. However, his release is not the same as Pollock. But I am sure he is aiming to be express, so perhaps in the future he may have a slight side on action. With the kind of release he has now, front on and round arm action, he needs a lot muscles on shoulders, a very strong back to generate that pace and I am sure he can find a way to do it. But let's see. I would assume he would change his action soon

3 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Theres something about him that reminds me so much of Shaun Pollock. However, his release is not the same as Pollock. But I am sure he is aiming to be express, so perhaps in the future he may have a slight side on action. With the kind of release he has now, front on and round arm action, he needs a lot muscles on shoulders, a very strong back to generate that pace and I am sure he can find a way to do it. But let's see. I would assume he would change his action soon

Thanks!

On 10/10/2017 at 5:21 AM, MCcricket said:

Let's see how he does, credit to him he loves the game n took up bowling instead, he is tall n looks strong, action is natural, give him time, his father cannot bat or bowl for him, he has to do it on the field, certainly not an early bloomer like his dad, but bowlers mature late, let's hope we have an all rounder some day, bats like Sachin n bowls like Zak , lol.

meaning like Kallis..

9 hours ago, Khota said:

If in your heart you feel it was all merit than there is nothing to discuss.

There is no such merit or qualification needed to be a net bowler. If you play cricket for host association at some club or level, you can easily bowl at the nets. Lot of unknown bowlers do that to impress Indian team. Javed Khan from Delhi was one such bowler who then got picked for MI too.

1 hour ago, gattaca said:

Not to be too critical on the young guy but doesn't seem to bowl good line.

Yes, needs to work on his release. He isn't that good yet. Otherwise would have been playing for India u19 even if he was half good. Doubt he will ever play for India u19. He is already 18. He needs to do to target practice without runup to improve his accuracy.

35 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Yes, needs to work on his release. He isn't that good yet. Otherwise would have been playing for India u19 even if he was half good. Doubt he will ever play for India u19. He is already 18. He needs to do to target practice without runup to improve his accuracy.

Beautiful and aggressive  run-up though.

This camera angle is not that good to observe properly  but he looks to be using too much of his bowling arm to bowl ... and is not using his body and non-bowling arm sufficiently.

Edited by express bowling

21 minutes ago, express bowling said:

This camera angle is not that good to observe properly  but he looks to be using too much of his bowling arm to bowl ... and is not using his body and non-bowling arm sufficiently

Seems to be a good athlete.  Needs to work on his arm position and that will need a systematic practice. First bowling without runup to improve arm position and accuracy. Then once he perfects it then start bowling from short runup 5-6 step keeping the action and accuracy intact an then after a lot of these drills, bowling from a long runup.

5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Is this the latest video or old ?

Acc to description , date of upload by Ani news channel (they wont put an old video)

Shastri to , even though he was there in the last game at wankhade 2 yrs ago but i doubt this is from 2015.....Saw times of india putting a same video as well a day ago . Shud be latest only 

At present K Nagrakotti n maybe a dozen yound bowlers better then him, but he has time, is a late bloomer, atleast he has the physique n athleticism, I don't think her will make it as a bowler alone, he should bat as well, as it would be easier.

5 hours ago, express bowling said:

This camera angle is not that good to observe properly  but he looks to be using too much of his bowling arm to bowl ... and is not using his body and non-bowling arm sufficiently.

That right arm going up that you see is merely for practise. I think he is keeping t that way only for practise. That's not his regular action

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.