When will Kohli comes out of Dhoni's shoes?

I noticed in the game yesterday, Kohli was continously going to Dhoni after every over for advice. There is no harm in it but for how long will Kohli stay under the shadow of MS Dhoni? He rarely takes any input from his vice captain (who is a lazy bum agreed) and even after so many months being a captain needs help from his predecessor. He goes to Dhoni for each and every DRS advice, invariably goes to him for whenever there is a pressure sitaution and rarely takes a decision on his own. Not sure its helping Indian cricket though.

When Dhoni was made captain, he used to take his own judgement and took most of the decisions on his own rather than consulting Saurav or Dravid or Sachin for everything. Thats why he was so successful.

How long is this transition? When will Kohli comes out of Dhoni's shoes?

6 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

I noticed in the game yesterday, Kohli was continously going to Dhoni after every over for advice. There is no harm in it but for how long will Kohli stay under the shadow of MS Dhoni? He rarely takes any input from his vice captain (who is a lazy bum agreed) and even after so many months being a captain needs help from his predecessor. He goes to Dhoni for each and every DRS advice, invariably goes to him for whenever there is a pressure sitaution and rarely takes a decision on his own. Not sure its helping Indian cricket though.

When Dhoni was made captain, he used to take his own judgement and took most of the decisions on his own rather than consulting Saurav or Dravid or Sachin for everything. Thats why he was so successful.

How long is this transition? When will Kohli comes out of Dhoni's shoes?

every captain goes to his Keeper for DRS advice.

No harm in going to any experienced guy. All jokes can be made but in reality there is nothing wrong in askinf any senior player and taking on field advice and it is good havit actually. He also takes advice not only from dhoni but also from Rohit like he mentioned in the post match interview. Its not that he listens to them for everything or asks them everything but no harm in asking them either.

1 minute ago, Cricketics said:

No harm in going to any experienced guy. All jokes can be made but in reality there is nothing wrong in askinf any senior player and taking on field advice and it is good havit actually. He also takes advice not only from dhoni but also from Rohit like he mentioned in the post match interview. Its not that he listens to them for everything or asks them everything but no harm in asking them either.

How do you know?

3 minutes ago, Pollack said:

How do you know?

How do you know that he asks them everything? He is captain so he bound to take more decisions by himself. He looks pretty much the same way talking to his players in ODI’s like he does in Test Matches when Dhoni is not around. Also that since he is present and since Dhoni has captained the side he takes his pointers. In tests he takes pointers from Rahane as you can see. So not much different there.

1 minute ago, Cricketics said:

How do you know that he asks them everything? He is captain so he bound to take more decisions by himself. He looks pretty much the same way talking to his players in ODI’s like he does in Test Matches when Dhoni is not around. Onky that since he is present and since Dhoni has captained the sidec he takes his pointers. In tests he takes pointers from Rahane as you can see. So not much different there.

I am not the one saying saying he asks everything. That's the whole point we don't know how much, when and to what extent does kohli consult dhoni. So either of the claim that dhoni is helping kohli or kohli is still the boss and just takes an input may or may not be true. I find it funny how we assume it the way we want it and debate on it.

If a captain can't make his own decisions even after around 40 matches, someone else should take over the job. rohit sharma can easily be the odi captain and anyone in this team can be made t20 captain. that will also solve the problem of too much power on one person.

Edited by renjith
3 minutes ago, Pollack said:

I am not the one saying saying he asks everything. That's the whole point we don't know how much, when and to what extent does kohli consult dhoni. So either of the claim that dhoni is helping kohli or kohli is still the boss and just takes an input may or may not be true. I find it funny how we assume it the way we want it and debate on it.

Assuming he is captaining the side and making most decisions isn’t wrong. Assuming Dhoni is helping Kohli make lot of calls, both good and bad, also isn’t wrong. But to assume Kohli isn’t making most decisions after being captain and then asking for what proof you have that he is making most decisions is outrageously crazy.

19 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Assuming he is captaining the side and making most decisions isn’t wrong. But to assume Kohli isn’t making most decisions after being captain 

This is dhoni fans assumption not mine.

19 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Assuming Dhoni is helping Kohli make lot of calls, both good and bad, also isn’t wrong. 

Most cricket fans disagree. All good decision are by dhoni. Bad ones by kohli. Again not my assumption.

I am not assuming anything. I am just pointing fingers at the two extremes of assumption. One of assumptions may be right or both wrong. Who knows?

Your assumption that he is captain so making most of the decisions is logical. But I am not sure of it either given the power dhoni wields and kohli being ever grateful to dhoni for supporting him in his bad phase in early career. For God sake he hands over captaincy to dhoni many times on the field.

True captaincy of kohli would only start when dhoni is not around. And I think he would be thousand times better than with dhoni. 

Edited by Pollack
6 hours ago, Cricketics said:

How do you know that he asks them everything? He is captain so he bound to take more decisions by himself. He looks pretty much the same way talking to his players in ODI’s like he does in Test Matches when Dhoni is not around. Also that since he is present and since Dhoni has captained the side he takes his pointers. In tests he takes pointers from Rahane as you can see. So not much different there.

Seen him on ground captaining India. On ground, during the game, He is definitely consistently running to MSD between every over.

5 hours ago, Pollack said:

This is dhoni fans assumption not mine.

Most cricket fans disagree. All good decision are by dhoni. Bad ones by kohli. Again not my assumption.

I am not assuming anything. I am just pointing fingers at the two extremes of assumption. One of assumptions may be right or both wrong. Who knows?

Your assumption that he is captain so making most of the decisions is logical. But I am not sure of it either given the power dhoni wields and kohli being ever grateful to dhoni for supporting him in his bad phase in early career. For God sake he hands over captaincy to dhoni many times on the field.

True captaincy of kohli would only start when dhoni is not around. And I think he would be thousand times better than with dhoni. 

LOL! Did you miss last years IPL? If you missed it, try watching Kohli taking independent decisions  in RCB camp and leading the tea from front.

No compare that to , the one of Puneris under Smith.