Why Should Hindi be/not be national language of India?

sarcastic

I wrote an exam last year where we had an English comprehension part. TBH some of the comprehensions were really tough, very confusing. Luckily in the adjoining page there was the Hindi translation with options in Hindi. If I got confused with the tough English sometimes I would also go through the same question in Hindi and invariably get all right. Since I know Hindi it was an advantage for me, but how unfair is this to those who don't know Hindi? For those whose mother tongue is Hindi, it is an advantage at every step of life, unfortunately for others esp South Indians and N.E people whose language is a totally different script with different origin, even if they learn Hindi they will always be at a disadvantage compared to native Hindi speakers. How will you guys feel if the same comprehension is translated in easier language in say Naga language? English is the only way out, otherwise one set of people will always dominate the others. 

21 minutes ago, Gollum said:

There aren't anti Tamil protests in Delhi because there has never been any attempt in the national level to enforce Tamil. Tamils didn't surrender before Delhi Sultanate, Mughal Empire, Brits, you think they will let a 70 year old entity change that? They made the Mughal governors in Arcot, Trichy, Madurai learn Tamil rather than changing their language, you think it's a coincidence? Tamil is the greatest surviving language in the world, at the very least as old as Sanskrit (but not dead, in fact thriving today) and the greatest collection of literature possible in the entire planet. Bengali, Malayalam, Urdu all are great languages but Tamil is on another different level altogether. Hindi is a bacchha language in historic terms...., Tamil/Sanskrit bahut door ki baat hai. If Hindi is Maruti Alto, Bengali is Hyundai and Tamil is a Hummer. You can convince a Hyundai guy to replace his car with Alto (with great difficulty ofc), you can never ask a Hummer guy to replace his with an Alto. That's why Tamils are not keen about learning Hindi. 

You are brainwashed clearly.  Also, if you think Tamil is superior, I don't care as that's not the point.  Both Tamil and Hindi can both exist together in TN, it's not a crime to learn both languages. But if you just think only Tamil exist, then it's YOU who need to understand the idea of India and it's diversity. You are saying like we are Muslims and superior, and so we cannot allow the inferior Hindus as that will destroy our culture. It's a very dangerous idea

Edited by someone

12 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I wrote an exam last year where we had an English comprehension part. TBH some of the comprehensions were really tough, very confusing. Luckily in the adjoining page there was the Hindi translation with options in Hindi. If I got confused with the tough English sometimes I would also go through the same question in Hindi and invariably get all right. Since I know Hindi it was an advantage for me, but how unfair is this to those who don't know Hindi? For those whose mother tongue is Hindi, it is an advantage at every step of life, unfortunately for others esp South Indians and N.E people whose language is a totally different script with different origin, even if they learn Hindi they will always be at a disadvantage compared to native Hindi speakers. How will you guys feel if the same comprehension is translated in easier language in say Naga language? English is the only way out, otherwise one set of people will always dominate the others. 

And that's the exact reason why Hindi has to be the national language in order to prevent such things.

Edited by someone

1 minute ago, someone said:

You are brainwashed clearly.  If you think Tamil is superior, I don't care as that's not the point.  Both Tamil and Hindi can both exist together in TN, it's not a crime to learn both languages. But if you just think only Tamil exist, then it's YOU who need to understand the idea of India, it's diversity. You are saying like we are Muslims and superior, and so we cannot allow the inferior Hindus as that will destroy our culture. It's this very idea that we are fighting against.

Only thing, I am not Tamil. I enjoy reading about history and culture and based on my reading experience I have come to come to appreciate the greatness of certain things, one of them being the Tamil language and the ancient Sangam age. 

If Tamils learn Hindi, will Northies extend the same courtesy by learning Tamil? Why should some people make compromises while the other set boss around? Ideally I would like India to have English as official language (even ground for all) with a 3 language policy including state language. Example a citizen of WB should learn English, Bengali and a 3rd language which can be anything eg Telegu or Malayalam or Hindi, same with Tamils who apart from English and Tamil should learn one extra language (that may be Hindi if they are interested). This will promote national bonding and diversity, not some Delhi/UP guy (general picture, I am not talking about you) sitting at home and ordering entire India to learn Hindi. 

1 hour ago, someone said:

You are brainwashed clearly.  Also, if you think Tamil is superior, I don't care as that's not the point.  Both Tamil and Hindi can both exist together in TN, it's not a crime to learn both languages. But if you just think only Tamil exist, then it's YOU who need to understand the idea of India and it's diversity. You are saying like we are Muslims and superior, and so we cannot allow the inferior Hindus as that will destroy our culture. It's a very dangerous idea

It is not about superiority. One should always learn one's own mother tongue first. In India and this globalized world, the most logical choice for the second language is English. Hindi should be taught, but as a third language. Its pan-India appeal is quite literally underpinned by nationalistic sentiments, not practicality. 

For eg, one of our few, if not the only edge over the Chinese is our 300 million strong English speakers. Pushing Hindi erodes that significantly. And for what purpose ? nationalism ? sorry, but that is a poor excuse.

On 1/13/2018 at 2:13 AM, Gollum said:

Why was it in Hindi? It could have been in Kashmiri and then all Indians should learn Kashmiri to prevent such things. 

Lol, you have answered it yourself. Not knowing Hindi can create some unfair situations. Thus, making Hindi as a national language will address that and increase competitiveness, that's the ultimate aim of education.

14 minutes ago, someone said:

Lol, you have answered it yourself. Not knowing Hindi can create some unfair situations. Thus, making Hindi as a national language will address that and increase competitiveness, that's the ultimate aim of education.

I don't get you. Why can't English be our national language? Entire world including most of the research literature moving towards English. 

Edited by Gollum

On 12/01/2018 at 9:38 PM, Muloghonto said:

It is about linguistics integrity. Not aryan-Dravidian politics. This is why Hindi is also opposed in Bengal, Assam and all eastern states.If India needs a national language, it should be English. Makes far more practical sense.

In hindi kids singing competition shows (saregamapa, voice kids etc. ) , there are lots n lots of bangali, oriya, Assamese kids and kids from various eastern, North-eastern states.... Many south Indian kids.... 

Few telugu guys telling me that kids these days may not know telugu but they do know hindi.. 

It's about numbers... People who speak and understand basic hindi are 25%population of this world... (Add india, Pakistan, BD, Nepal etc.) ... It's only about the numbers... If bangla/tamil had those numbers instead of hindi, then we would say every one learns Bangla/tamil.. Simple as that.. 

Anyways, doesn't matter what u n I think, future generation Indians are all gonna know hindi... 

On 1/12/2018 at 10:58 PM, someone said:

Obviously, few other states use it as fuel for their own regional politics. But the main, and the source itself is from the South, and it's all part of the Aryan- Dravidian politics. There is a lot of brainwashing. You see there aren't any anti Tamil protests in North. Actually, there isn't even anything called Aryan politics. But there exists a Dravidian politics and hatred of Hindi is essential for such brainwashing to continue.

When our own Gujarti PM has no problem speaking Hindi, so why can't South learn and speak Hindi? Like no Gujarti has a problem with Hindi, so why it is a big issue in South? No Gujarati thinks of Hindi as threat to their culture nor has any issue about Hindi being imposed on them. Two languages or really multiple things can exist at the same time, and that's the beauty of India.  But obviously with dravidian politics, they have to be  completely intolerant of Hindi in order to exist itself. Now, we need to end such divide.

Gujarati and Hindi are from the same family of languages. In syntax/grammar/ usage of tone etc there are similarities. The languages of the South are of an entirely different linguistic family. This makes it more difficult for a Tamil speaker to pick up Hindi.

What I have seen, is the Telugu speaking people in the Bangalore pick up Kannada a lot faster than say the Marwaris or the Punjabis etc. This has to do with familiarity of language more than anything else.

17 hours ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Hindi should be the matra bhasha.

Disagree. Just because its the mother tongue of 30-40% of India is not excuse for it to be imposed as 'matra-bhasha' on the majority.

I know south indians aren't happy about this, but lets be honest - their languages are mostly irrelevant and dying out.

Not just southies, practically most non-Hindi speakers are not happy about it. This includes Oryas, Bengalis, Assamese, the southies, Marathis, etc. as well.

Tamil can be an official language, since its spoken in many parts of the world. Tamil autonomy should be respected, as its a very old language.

But these others states, Karnatigga, Kairala, Hyderabad, these states have no reason to speak some irrelevant language. They should be integrated into the hindi speaking population.

Better to be integrated into English speaking population and retain mother-tongue than learn a largely useless language spoken in a small part of the world.

This doesn't need to be imposed; the people themselves will recognise the socio-economic benefits of hindi literacy, and they'll gravitate towards it on their own. Hindi is already mainstream in most other states anyway, and the language is flexible enough to incorporate different dialects.

The socio-economic benefit of English literacy is far greater. English is also mainstream and it deserves promotion on far bigger merits than Hindi.

For example, in mumbai, 'Apun ko khujli lagi, vaseline lagaye' is a marathi influenced dialect of hindi, whereas in Delhi, one would say, 'Bchod, khujli lag rahi 'ai, vaseline laiyyo zara'. Both are correct and understandable to their respective parties. Im sure the southies will work out their own version of hindi, and it will further accelerate their progress and integration into mainstream india.

Mainstream India is a narrow vision. Ultimate goal is mainstream world. And that is where English rules. No reason to change this just because of stupid nationalism issues, that are counter-productive in this discussion (Far easier to integrate into English world mainstream, than try to make a new world mainstream for each and every individual involved).

This board is proof itself on why English >> Hindi in order of priority.

As India becomes more and more literate and skilled, Hindi will fade back to being the largest regional language in a small chunk of the world, with people mostly fluent in their mothertongues and English. Just like in Europe, where English literacy is overwhelmingly huge compared to any other non-mother tongue languages.

the majority of people in India understand hindi at some level. Their numbers are rising. It may take longer but even without a push Hindi will be understood nearly by 100% of people by say 2050.

Dont force the issue. The aim is not to write a phd in Hindi. Its to understand a basic level of Hindi to get by.

For all this talk about imposition, several Southern states have made their state official languages compulsory across school. While they accuse the CG of imposition, within their state they do the same thing. 

18 hours ago, G_B_ said:

For all this talk about imposition, several Southern states have made their state official languages compulsory across school. While they accuse the CG of imposition, within their state they do the same thing. 

Well, states in India were designated primarily on the basis of language. Given that each linguistic group got its own state, it is natural that they would want to have their mother tongues taught in school.

This move didn't much opposition, only in Karnataka, where there are many different major languages, that this is seen as an imposition.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:30 PM, randomGuy said:

Should not be enforced... But ~25%of this world and 95% of India... Speaks n understands basic hindi. Bangali = similar to hindi.. Tamil, not.. So they should work on it out of their own will.. 

95% of India speaks and understands basic Hindi? The number seems highly exaggerated. 

Already India is divided on religious and caste/sub-caste lines. Don't want GOI to open another front, the linguistic one. Respect all languages and mighty proud of our incredible linguistic diversity. Because of linguistic differences there have been bloody partitions, civil wars and insurgencies. Do Northies want Bharat ke tukde tukde just to satiate their insatiable ego? If not better learn to respect our incredible diversity. South Indians are our family members, no need to try to dominate them culturally. But I don't think South is the biggest problem here, it is the North East, if Modi tries to enforce his narrow vision of culture over those people, India will get a bloody nose. They don't even accept Bengali, Hindi to bahut door ki baat hai. 

Whatever may be the practicality of a language, it should not be forced on anyone. If a language is important and practical people will learn it.

I recently went to Nizamabad (a town in Northern Telangana) to attend a wedding of my wife's relative. Now their family was conversing in telugu, hindi and marathi. I asked her what's with all this marathi? She said it's common there due to the close proximity with Maharashtra.

Now no one forced them to learn marathi. It's just that it made sense for them to learn and use it to your advantage. At the end of the day, it's your personal choice. Know an additional language, you have an advantage over others else you are restricted.

But this works both ways, a northie can't go to Chennai and cry that no one speaks hindi. If you want to stick around and take advantage of the situation learn at least the bloody basics of that language instead of whining and waiting for them to learn hindi.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk