Braveheart vs Gladiator

zen

Gladiator: it has a much more memorable story, better actors, and it was a much more polished product overall.

I didn't like Braveheart at all, I thought it was a shoddy product and the subtle propaganda in it made me want to vomit :sick: 

Brave heart is a classic which has made the character, William Wallace an immortal on the silver screen. The fact that Mel Gibson is also the director of this movie easily elevates him to the genius elite club of a sir Lawrence Olivier or a woody allen who have also fulfilled both the dual roles of an actor and a director in classic movies with equal aplomb. If not for his drunken rant on Jews who control Hollywood, Mel Gibson would have been as much as a ATG in Hollywood as other living legends like Clint Eastwood, Spielberg or Daniel day Lewis. But he dug his own grave.

Gladiator is like a textbook for historicals for other directors to follow. There is no doubt that all the Roman, Greek historical movies and TV shows took a lot of inspiration from this movie. While in brave heart, the entire battle sequence is a rousing exercise in pulling at our emotional strings, the war and  gladiatorial combat sequences in gladitor leave us gasping for breath and wanting for more. After lion king, it is for gladiator that most of the preview sample audience made a complaint that the movie got over too soon.

All time classic - braveheart

Tremendous repeat value - gladiator

Edited by Temujin Khaghan

Gladiator. Everything was memorable. The performances(Russel and Joaquin), the dialogues(my name is maximus... Gave me goosebumps), the soundtrack, the story and the fight scenes,the direction etc And to top it all even though Gladiator was fictional, was historically accurate and realistic when based on Roman tradition and history, whereas braveheart is known for its historical inaccuracies despite being based on a real incident. Its probably the most famous and award winning film to have so much inaccuracies. Gladiator can be watched again and again. It has achieved cult status. In fact the only historical war films to be compared with Gladiator are Ben-hur,spartacus,Kingdom of Heaven(directors cut).

I used to love Gladiator as a teenager but now as an adult I can see that its story is simplistic and cheesy in places, especially the dialogue. Some of the special effects that depict Ancient Rome have also aged badly. Apparently they wrote the script as they were filming and it kinda shows. However the battles in the arena are amazing.

Braveheart is a pure cheese fest and for that reason I go for Gladiator.

Troy - The Directors Cut is also quite a good film.