Did broadcasters influence team selections in Test series against SA and England?

Lannister

Star war with BCCI over Virat Kohli's absence from Asia Cup intensifies

In the letter from Star, written by a certain Sunil Manohar to ACC official Tusith Perera, it was pointed out that the BCCI must be asked to follow the Media Rights Agreement (MRA) while the BCCI replied contending that the best side was picked and no one has right to influence its selection policy

“In our view, this announcement about the absence of one of the world’s best batsmen from Asia Cup, only 15 days before the commencement of the Asia Cup, is a serious dent to us and will severely impact our ability to monetize and generate revenues from the tournament (sic).

“In light of the ACC’s contractual obligations under the MRA as highlighted above and the serious ramifications on our business on account of absence of the best available Indian team, we hereby request you to get in touch with BCCI at the earliest to ensure that the ACC’s obligations under the MRA are met,” Manohar wrote a mail on September 4.

Against the agreement

The Star official further wrote, “We would like to bring to your notice that our media rights agreement dated June 29, 2017 with the ACC requires that the ACC ensures that the best available teams from each participating nation, including India, should form a part of the Asia Cup (sic).

“It is apparent from the media advisory issued by the BCCI as well statements made to the media by the chairman of the senior selection committee (MSK Prasad) that Virat Kohli has been rested despite him being available (sic).

“Virat Kohli has been the most prolific run scorer in world cricket in the recent past. His presence in the Indian team and his aggressive captaincy has a dramatic impact on the outcome of each event.”

Best available team

Despite Kohli’s absence, the BCCI replied saying the best available team was picked. BCCI CEO Rahul Johri wrote, “Kindly note that the team selected by BCCI selection Committee (an expert body comprising of former cricketers) to participate in the Asia Cup as announced on 1 September 2018 is the best available team.

“Please also take note that selection of the best available team for participation in a tournament is the sole prerogative of the selection committee of BCCI. It is not open for Asian Cricket Council or its broadcaster to insist on selection of any particular player and/or to question the expert opinion of the Selection Committee as to which is the best available team for a particular tournament.”

He signed off writing, “Needless to add, this email is being issued without prejudice to BCCI’s rights and contentions in law, all of which are expressly reserved.”

Johri reply, interestingly enough, came after the ACC wanted to have discussion on the non-selection of Kohli. Tusith Perera, an official with the ACC, asked BCCI’s Gaurav Saxena for a discussion. He wrote a one-line mail saying, “Dear Gaurav, Can we discuss this matter?” This mail was followed by Johri’s reply more than a week later on September 16. Johri had copied the mail to Committee of Administrators as well as the office-bearers of the BCCI.

Johri, Star officials were not available for comment. So was Perera but in a letter to Star, the ACC official said the non-selection of Kohli was no breach of the agreement. “The matter was discussed with the BCCI. We have been informed by BCCI that best available team is participating in Asia Cup 2018. Therefore, we would like to reiterate that ACC is fully compliant with its MRLA obligations,” he claimed.

https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/sport/cricket/whose-player-is-he-anyway/articleshow/65834850.cms

Star has a very valid greivance. They must have paid a massive amount to secure the broadcasting rights. Kohli's absence will surely hurt the ratings. Moreover, unlike Dhawan or Rohit who are star ODI players themselves, Kohli is the biggest star and also the lynchpin of the batting lineup. His absence will hurt the team more than the absence of Rohit or Dhawan will. 

1 hour ago, nevada said:

Star has a very valid greivance. They must have paid a massive amount to secure the broadcasting rights. Kohli's absence will surely hurt the ratings. Moreover, unlike Dhawan or Rohit who are star ODI players themselves, Kohli is the biggest star and also the lynchpin of the batting lineup. His absence will hurt the team more than the absence of Rohit or Dhawan will. 

You're right. BCCI messed up by giving them those rights.

Though Star really needs to think longterm. They could have Virat for the Asia Cup, but if that causes him to burnout or get injured, they don't have Virat for the next few tours. - So BCCI is right to protect Virat, or any player, like this.

10 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

TBF - cricket is going down in India. People watched those bilaterals for Virat only

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

You are overly generous here..

People didnt watch it at all.Do you really think people watch Ind-sl ,Wi bilaterals...no not even when Sachin features there

Edited by Suhaan

You are overly generous here..
People didnt watch it at all.Do you really think people watch Ind-sl ,Wi bilaterals...no not even when Sachin features there

Checked out the BARC ratings.... They've gotten good enough views.
Even the Test series.

However, one thing I'm clear - Cricket has lost its hype and soon will cede it's ground to football.
In my childhood, people used to watch even Matches between Zimbabwe and Kenya.
And it was a norm to take leave to watch Matches.
People used to screw up even Board Exams to cheer for their country. (A big LOL).
Now nothing of this sort happens.
IPL gets more publicity because it is Bollywood related and not because it's cricket.

If BCCI thinks that cricket will be able to gain if they clamp down on other sports, then they're totally delusional.
Given that how ICC is not trying to expand the sport at all and the way in fact is pandering to the South Asian crowd, along with the sad truth that Indians are a bunch of insecure idiots, people will soon flock to football and other sports realising that the countries they care for don't care for cricket at all.
And Indians aren't like the sports fanatic Americans who are content with one nation sports like a American Football and Basketball.

2 hours ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Checked out the BARC ratings.... They've gotten good enough views.
Even the Test series.

However, one thing I'm clear - Cricket has lost its hype and soon will cede it's ground to football.
In my childhood, people used to watch even Matches between Zimbabwe and Kenya.
And it was a norm to take leave to watch Matches.
People used to screw up even Board Exams to cheer for their country. (A big LOL).
Now nothing of this sort happens.
IPL gets more publicity because it is Bollywood related and not because it's cricket.

If BCCI thinks that cricket will be able to gain if they clamp down on other sports, then they're totally delusional.
Given that how ICC is not trying to expand the sport at all and the way in fact is pandering to the South Asian crowd, along with the sad truth that Indians are a bunch of insecure idiots, people will soon flock to football and other sports realising that the countries they care for don't care for cricket at all.
And Indians aren't like the sports fanatic Americans who are content with one nation sports like a American Football and Basketball.

I hope you are right. It has become a elitist sport.

I hope you are right. It has become a elitist sport.

Not elitist, rather I think (and have seen with my own eyes) That Cricket is too mainstream and widespread to be considered cool.
It has lost its initial romanticism-a lot of urban people are now into football and basketball.

Indians in General are elitist social climbers.
One reason Cricket trumped Hockey and Football back in the day because they posed themselves to be the Elite British Game in face of peasants' sports hockey and football.
People started liking cricket because it was elitist.
And now Indians are realising cricket's main fanbase is Cringeworthy middle class/lower middle class and football is what matters internationally.
Now football is considered the Cool, elite game.

32 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Not elitist, rather I think (and have seen with my own eyes) That Cricket is too mainstream and widespread to be considered cool.
It has lost its initial romanticism-a lot of urban people are now into football and basketball.

Indians in General are elitist social climbers.
One reason Cricket trumped Hockey and Football back in the day because they posed themselves to be the Elite British Game in face of peasants' sports hockey and football.
People started liking cricket because it was elitist.
And now Indians are realising cricket's main fanbase is Cringeworthy middle class/lower middle class and football is what matters internationally.
Now football is considered the Cool, elite game.emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Metro kids and boys are totally into EPL etc.. it's kind of cheap to even know someone like Kedar Jadav or Rayudu for them.