It’s the right decision to leave out MS Dhoni: Ajit Agarkar

20 minutes ago, prasen82 said:

If we had a bowler like Aggy now, we would be comparing him in legacy to Sachin. Bowlers were not rated that highly those days, hence he is underrated as we did not have a bowling unit to hunt in packs. Nevertheless a ODI ATG...

Agarkar was the first bowler who gave me belief that Indian bowlers can bowl Yorkers and cartwheel stumps. Absolute bliss for some of the 90s kids...

There were many of us who would try to emulate aggy's bowling action by holding the ball close to the chest.

Yeah, he was gr8 at getting thrashed by Jayasuriya, Dilshan, Hayden etc. Never saw him bowling with a below 6 E. R. Initially he was good but became total trash after 50 odd matches. Got spanked left right center. 

20 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Oh please. He was a good ODI bowler who can take wickets but can go for runs. Wasn't consistent but picked continuously. Zaheer is an ODI great not this guy. Agarkar is the main reason we lost to Zim in the 99 WC. We would have got 2 points into the super six and we could have made the SF but that wasn't to be.

Him not getting picked is the reason we went to the finals in 2003. If he was picked, we would have lost a lot of games in that tournament. Maybe for you but most of my friends used Mcgrath, Gillespie, Lee and Warne as an inspiration. They were true matchwinners unlike this guy

Like every bowler , Aggy also had his bad days, but does not deserve to be demonized. If we were to take the top 5 pace bowlers we had, Aggy would be at the pack along with Kapil, zaheer and srinath.

The support cast he had was atrocious those days .. and McGrath, warne are legends. Even zaheer cannot be compared to them..it's like comparing dhawan to Sachin..

4 minutes ago, Pollack said:

All I see is Dhoni playing like sh!t against a spinner.

He got a good first ball from Murali who picked 800 wickets in the test arena not just any spinner. I think he came in after Sehwag got out to him and Sehwag has murdered spinners even Murali on a few occasions.

What I was pointing out is that Agarkar got out playing for glory when he had two unsuccessful swipes in a row before that dismissal. Rahul had a lengthy chat with him before that. Listen to Bumble's commentary. You are seeing the highlights. I saw the whole match live and I know what I'm talking about. He is a quitter. You can see Dravid was playing well. He struck four boundaries in one over of Malinga after this dismissal playing all along the ground. All Agarkar needed to do was stick with him. Even Harbhajan would have done that. Not this "allrounder". :facepalm:

11 minutes ago, prasen82 said:

Like every bowler , Aggy also had his bad days, but does not deserve to be demonized. If we were to take the top 5 pace bowlers we had, Aggy would be at the pack along with Kapil, zaheer and srinath.

The support cast he had was atrocious those days .. and McGrath, warne are legends. Even zaheer cannot be compared to them..it's like comparing dhawan to Sachin..

Since he started his career playing behind Srinath, he should have taken his role and be the leader of the pace attack. He couldn't do it because he was not good enough. This isn't demonizing. It's the truth. We have to stop blaming the support cast. Srinath had Venky for support cast and he delivered whenever we needed a wicket. Zaheer assumed the leadership role and he had Nehra, Sreesanth, etc.

Zaheer's leadership came into effect in SA 2010-11 when he missed out in the first test where we lost by an innings. Also Sachin scored another meaningless century in the second innings lol. When he came back in the second test, all of a sudden we found strength in our bowling and we won that test. We almost won the third test and the series. We had SA at 120-6 in the third innings but Kallis had other ideas and scored a rearguard century. We had to bat out the day to earn a draw.

Co

5 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Since he started his career playing behind Srinath, he should have taken his role and be the leader of the pace attack. He couldn't do it because he was not good enough. This isn't demonizing. It's the truth. We have to stop blaming the support cast. Srinath had Venky for support cast and he delivered whenever we needed a wicket. Zaheer assumed the leadership role and he had Nehra, Sreesanth, etc.

Zaheer's leadership came into effect in SA 2010-11 when he missed out in the first test where we lost by an innings. Also Sachin scored another meaningless century in the second innings lol. When he came back in the second test, all of a sudden we found strength in our bowling and we won that test. We almost won the third test and the series. We had SA at 120-6 in the third innings but Kallis had other ideas and scored a rearguard century. We had to bat out the day to earn a draw.

Tests I agree. ODIs we're agarkars forte.. agarkar gets rated based on wrong formats and his batting flops more than what he did with his bowling. Just feel it's a case of heightened expectations on all fronts.  In ODIs did the job admirably for India in lot of cases.

9 minutes ago, prasen82 said:

Co

Tests I agree. ODIs we're agarkars forte.. agarkar gets rated based on wrong formats and his batting flops more than what he did with his bowling. Just feel it's a case of heightened expectations on all fronts.  In ODIs did the job admirably for India in lot of cases.

As someone pointed out, he was good in his first few years. But became a run leaker and not picking up wickets. He has a test century at Lords but couldn't follow Dravid's advice in a must win game in the 2007 WC. He surely has quitter written all over him. Dravid must have felt like his teammates have quit on him at the biggest stage.

And imagine this guy criticizing Dhoni who doesn't leave it to the next guy to finish the job. That's why that innings where he quit comes to my mind. India were better when we got rid of him. Someone should do a W/L ratio when we played him and when we left him

20 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

As someone pointed out, he was good in his first few years. But became a run leaker and not picking up wickets. He has a test century at Lords but couldn't follow Dravid's advice in a must win game in the 2007 WC. He surely has quitter written all over him. Dravid must have felt like his teammates have quit on him at the biggest stage.

And imagine this guy criticizing Dhoni who doesn't leave it to the next guy to finish the job. That's why that innings where he quit comes to my mind. India were better when we got rid of him. Someone should do a W/L ratio when we played him and when we left him

These dhoni bhakt would criticized everyone if some one speaks against dhoni. I mean criticizing a bowler for his batting and ealsy forgot he took 288 wkts only behind Srinath in odi in wkt tally but with better SR and AVG than him. Stop overexagirating his batting failure he was a bowler and won many matches. Especially a test overseas with his bowling which dhoni never did in his lifetime.

24 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

These dhoni bhakt would criticized everyone if some one speaks against dhoni. I mean criticizing a bowler for his batting and ealsy forgot he took 288 wkts only behind Srinath in odi in wkt tally but with better SR and AVG than him. Stop overexagirating his batting failure he was a bowler and won many matches. Especially a test overseas with his bowling which dhoni never did in his lifetime.

3 minutes ago, bahubali said:

Their Thala couldn't get a single 100 outside SC roads while Agarkar has one. No wonder they think of him as a batsman. :laugh:

1 minute ago, Number said:

Their Thala couldn't get a single 100 outside SC roads while Agarkar has one. No wonder they think of him as a batsman. :laugh:

What laughable is they start hating on them and doubt their ability in department which they don't belong . Ex agarkar was primarily a bowler let's say even if he failed in that one match in batting but they easily forgot the match in Sharjah against Srilanka where he came at no 8 and scored quick fire 30 in slow Sharjah pitch to win us a match. 

8 minutes ago, bahubali said:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/scorecard/65200/india-vs-zimbabwe-8th-match-icc-world-cup-1999

Agarkar 9ov 70-1. Second highest score of 51 was extras. Agarkar bowling most of them. He was an ordinary bowler. He is only remembered for that Adelaide performance. If Rahul didn't score the double century, his bowling would be forgotten as a lucky spell. The Aussies were pushing for a win and playing aggressively. They soon came back in the next match in Melbourne and won the game.

6 minutes ago, bahubali said:

What laughable is they start hating on them and doubt their ability in department which they don't belong . Ex agarkar was primarily a bowler let's say even if he failed in that one match in batting but they easily forgot the match in Sharjah against Srilanka where he came at no 8 and scored quick fire 30 in slow Sharjah pitch to win us a match. 

Yeah cocacola or pepsi cup right :phehe:. The desert storm cup was also called like that. What next TVS cup, cycle agarbathi cup, Kingfisher cup :laugh:

13 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/scorecard/65200/india-vs-zimbabwe-8th-match-icc-world-cup-1999

Agarkar 9ov 70-1. Second highest score of 51 was extras. Agarkar bowling most of them. He was an ordinary bowler. He is only remembered for that Adelaide performance. If Rahul didn't score the double century, his bowling would be forgotten as a lucky spell. The Aussies were pushing for a win and playing aggressively. They soon came back in the next match in Melbourne and won the game.

If he dint took those 6 wkts Rahul 200 scores went in painstaking draw. And these stats has no meaning he is the most successful odi bowler from India in odi.You can cry a river it ll not change anything.

14 minutes ago, bahubali said:

If he dint took those 6 wkts Rahul 200 scores went in painstaking draw. And these stats has no meaning he is the most successful odi bowler from India in odi.You can cry a river it ll not change anything.

How? In your dreams? Not in reality pal. Im laughing at this mental midget trying to settle scores as an "analyst". Him getting dropped in 2007 was one smart thing the selectors did. Imagine him playing in 2011 WC. We would have lost to Aus in the QF

56 minutes ago, bahubali said:

Dhoni won WC Wt20 CT what else you want? 

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

How? In your dreams? Not in reality pal. Im laughing at this mental midget trying to settle scores as an "analyst". Him getting dropped in 2007 was one smart thing the selectors did. Imagine him playing in 2011 WC. We would have lost to Aus in the QF

Looks like you are dreaming...give me any other fast bowler during his time or before having 250 wkts and 27 AVG.Also he won an overseas test on the back of his bowling which dhongi never had.