Sign in to follow this  
SecondSlip

Who should be Team India’s back up opener in the upcoming World Cup squad?

India’s back up opener?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will it be?

With Rohit and Dhawan sealed as our opening duo for the 2019 World Cup, who should be their back up? 

I believe the following 5 cricketers are the options the selectors are looking at: Rahul, Gill, Agarwal, Shaw & Rahane 

If the choice is yours, who would you select as Team India’s back up opener in the upcoming World Cup squad?

Shaw and Agarwal yet to make debut. Gill looks talented but clearly not ready for WC. Given the form Rahul is in not sure if he will be picked. Its unlikely Rahane will make a surprise comeback. 

If we do need some to open it has to be Pant. 

Edited by jf1gp_1

I ll take a punt with Shaw but there seems to be a vaccum for only 3 players, one of which most likely is a seamer.Fight between Pant,DK,Jadeja, Vijay Shankar and reserve opener for those 2 spots. This will not be straight forward for the selectors.

I have confidence in Shaw actually. He looked sublime in warm up games in Aus against moving ball. I would give this youth the go. Need to have a younger guy in squad whose youthfullness can rub on seniors during the tournament. But then he hasnMt played any game so doubt its going to be in selection. Perhaps not even worth mentioning now due to no game time unless they are picked for Aus series and score runs there. 

Mayank Agarwal or Shreyas Iyer would have been a good picks if selectors gave them enough opportunities. But somehow, selectors are too scared of trying anyone new and would rather give Dhawan, Rahane a few hundred more chances.