maniac

Obscure and random cricket matches you remember.

2002 CB series after Ashes got over. In one ODI, England bowled out Australia for some 169 on a flat MCG pitch. It looked obvious that Australia will lose the game, but Brett Lee bowled fast and single handedly won the game for Australia. I then realized why were they called world championship.

I didn’t see this game live but saw the scorecard the next day in the newspaper. In the odi series in India’s 1996 England tour there was this player called Alistair Brown who hit a quick fire 125+ (for those days standards) against us in one of the ODIs. The match was washed out and I don’t think records stayed those days if match was abandoned( need to check  on that).

Anyways this guy would not find a spot in the mediocre English odi side even though he was one of the first guys to hit a list a 200 or have the highest list a score or something like that.

He was eventually given a shot much much later and he was washed up by then.

# Pakistan Australia Kenya tries series (one of the most random tries series you'll ever see) , with one of the most random end ,yes the final was washed out lol ,trophy shared but I remember Hayden smashing the daylights out of Pakistani phaasstt boilers! And then their joke of a batting line up shitting bricks against McGrath and Gillespie. 

# Australia  chasing 326 against saf in a bilateral odi series in saf ,that was the highest chase during that time.

# dinesh mongia scoring a 170 odd against Zimbabwe in the decider and I was actually scared that zim could chase down that 330 odd total lol 

# India vs nzl gwalior odi 1999 ,remember that game due that bhardwaj run out and dada smashing nzl bowlers like tinpot at the death .that was a good one day series played with the red ball .

# India vs saf 2000 odi series game 1 at kochi I think ,India chased down 300 and I remember that game specifically because the umpires had signalled a 4 wrongly and then recalled the players when it was too dark just to finish the final run .

That was a great game and probably the best series win for India,beating saf in odis was the pinnacle for any team during that time 

Matches from 1987 WC, watching on B&W TVs! Gavaskar hitting a ODI 100 and Chetan Sharma’s hattrick 

Chetan Sharma hitting a 100 vs NZ in Nehru Cup 1989

1993 ODI series vs Eng, esp the match where Robin Smith hit a 100 and we won thanks to Sidhu’s 100, Paul Jarvis taking a 5-er

Mohali Test vs WI in 1994, Prabhakar getting hit by Ken Benjamin

Ricardo Powell’s 100 in Singapore in a tri series final

Phillo Wallace hitting a first ball six off Srinath in 1998 ICC Knock out semis

Sehwag’s 100  vs NZ in SL in 2001, word spread around the hostel that a Sachin clone is batting!

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

There was an ODI against NZ at home ('99 series) where they batted 1st and got 349 runs on the board. Remember the scores more or less, Spearman 68(44), Astle 120, Twose a 50. I had never seen hitting like that before in any ODI match, a couple of 6s by Spearman resulted in the ball getting stuck in the tent like roof.We batted well and scored 300+ but lost. That's a random match I guess. In our gully cricket matches, we had to choose a player's name and we used to call each other that...I christened myself Spearman for a few months when the other kids went for the big names.

Then an ODI between NZ and RSA. It was a proper thriller and Klusener scored a rapid 50 or 60 to finish the match in the final ball.I remember Shane O Connor bowling yorkers on leg stump and somehow Zulu would hit those for 6s over square leg and deep mid wicket....insane power. 

Yeah remember watching both the matches as kid .those days it was telecast on star sports and I used to see the highlights at night for nzl matches 

I remember this Aus-Eng odi series in England where the Hollioke bros absolutely whitewashed Aussies. A rare feat in those days.

Adam was a “street smart cricketer” who could bat and bowl and Ben was a 135k trundler who could slog a few ( @zen sound familiar) 

These bits and pieces bros absolutely smashed Aussies which for England in those days was a big deal.

Also this SA-Aus test match in SA where Gilchrist was hitting 6s for fun. The sponsors had a hoarding where they were giving a million rand I believe for those who hit it and Gilchrist was absolutely toying with SA phaast bowleirs and trying to hit the target at will and kept missing marginally.One of the most exciting test innings ever :laugh:

Edited by maniac

11 minutes ago, maniac said:

I didn’t see this game live but saw the scorecard the next day in the newspaper. In the odi series in India’s 1996 England tour there was this player called Alistair Brown who hit a quick fire 125+ (for those days standards) against us in one of the ODIs. The match was washed out and I don’t think records stayed those days if match was abandoned( need to check  on that).

Anyways this guy would not find a spot in the mediocre English odi side even though he was one of the first guys to hit a list a 200 or have the highest list a score or something like that.

He was eventually given a shot much much later and he was washed up by then.

Rathour, one of my favourite players at that time (had seen him bat a few times at Roshanara Club in Delhi), hit his only 50 of the tour. The bugger must have scored over 1000 runs in practice matches on that tour but was a total dud in Tests and ODIs

I remember watching Shoaib Akhtar for the first time. Back then I did not understand the concept of speed guns and thought that 100 kph is extremely fast.

He was bowling so fast that I thought the batsmen should not try hitting the ball at all, just change the direction of the ball and boundaries easily.

Just now, ShoonyaSifar said:

Rathour, one of my favourite players at that time (had seen him bat a few times at Roshanara Club in Delhi), hit his only 50 of the tour. The bugger must have scored over 1000 runs in practice matches on that tour but was a total dud in Tests and ODIs

I remember him breaking his hand or something in the SA tour but he was an “attacking” opener for those days standards. Would score pretty fast

1 hour ago, velu said:

i haven't watched that game actually .. but that scorecard is not easy to forget :p: 

later in 2000s , i did some research on that game  ..

just saw the scorecard of that game... WTF was that..

how did commentators, media react to it.. I guess there wasn't so much media attention back then, so they just let is pass?

1 minute ago, bowl_out said:

just saw the scorecard of that game... WTF was that..

how did commentators, media react to it.. I guess there wasn't so much media attention back then, so they just let is pass?

There was a huge uproar and they both were dropped the next game. In fact that game became the center of attention during the match fixing saga that happened 5 years later and both Mongia and Prabhakar were major players in that scandal.

10 minutes ago, maniac said:

There was a huge uproar and they both were dropped the next game. In fact that game became the center of attention during the match fixing saga that happened 5 years later and both Mongia and Prabhakar were major players in that scandal.

Good that they threw the bad apples away, but sad that it was only temporary.. they persisted with Prabhakar till the 1996 WC and with Mongia even beyond that

Edited by bowl_out

Also remember Uthappa’s 80 odd I think from 40 odd balls against WI. I was in a restaurant in India and remember people in the restaurant laughing at his WTF hitting. He would move all over the crease and smack the ball like a “tracer bullet” I think that’s when Ravi Shastri said forget your Idlis and dosas or something like that :laugh: not sure of that.

However I think Samuels won the match for WI

EDIT: Uthappa scored 71(41) and Samuels and Lara won the game for Wi

Edited by maniac

52 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Matches from 1987 WC, watching on B&W TVs! Gavaskar hitting a ODI 100 and Chetan Sharma’s hattrick 

Chetan Sharma hitting a 100 vs NZ in Nehru Cup 1989

1993 ODI series vs Eng, esp the match where Robin Smith hit a 100 and we won thanks to Sidhu’s 100, Paul Jarvis taking a 5-er

Mohali Test vs WI in 1994, Prabhakar getting hit by Ken Benjamin

Ricardo Powell’s 100 in Singapore in a tri series final

Phillo Wallace hitting a first ball six off Srinath in 1998 ICC Knock out semis

Sehwag’s 100  vs NZ in SL in 2001, word spread around the hostel that a Sachin clone is batting!

That Sehwag inning was a freak innings, still remember a piece written with a title in Hindi newspaper ,which read -

कीवी,हार,निंदा सब उड़ गए सहवागी तूफ़ान में

singer akai ndahas final 1998, got to finally watch the highlights last year

1997 during summer vacations i remember one siyarams cup in Ind between Ind and Pak, at that time I used to fear that Pak side

1996 Robin Singh tie, really vague memories, i just watched the Zim innings

ind vs wi  run fests series in 2002

1996  titan cup, interesting i used to think Dravuid and Kumble are same as they used to bat with Willis bat, used to copy Paul Adams action

that Rajesh Chauahn game and Dhaka chase vs Pak

one useless series between Zim and Aus in 1999, epic foie.d set by Aussies in one of tests

wi vs pak series in 2000, that was really fun series again during summer vacations

aus vs sa in sa in 2000 under Pollock , 3 match odi series, i rmemeber SA winning that and it was big for them

Nickly Boje series vs NZ in SA, whenver watched the highlights in SS of that series it was Boje scoring ruins, i thought he had become a batsman

Edited by SK_IH

1996-98 was really golden time, there used to be so many triangular and quadrangular series with random jerseys, i remember a bunch of them in SA, Pak, Ind, Aus, Kenya, Singapore etc.

Also i remember the cup Eng won in 1997, Sharjah Stadium had a different look in that series unlike earlier series with the whites

Watching those Sahara Cup matches in 1996 and 97 used to be fun as well. Harvinder Singh was a superstar. Matches, telecast on Star TV would start at 7-8 PM India time and end at around 3 am in the morning. We used to watch it at a medical store near our hostel. The patrolling policemen would stop us every night early in the morning while we weould be returning to the hostel and threaten to report us to the hotel warden! Some fun as 16-17 year olds.

For the 1998 Independence cup in Dhaka, we rented a TV set for 10 days! Best of three finals, some amazing memories.

14 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

1996-98 was really golden time, there used to be so many triangular and quadrangular series with random jerseys, i remember a bunch of them in SA, Pak, Ind, Aus, Kenya, Singapore etc.

Also i remember the cup Eng won in 1997, Sharjah Stadium had a different look in that series unlike earlier series with the whites

Cricket before T20 leagues was gold. We would tour every country once in four years so it was like a festival. Now there is so much money that any series can be arranged at anytime and anywhere, it's too professional now.

Before I used to be scared of Sri Lanka, Mahela, Sanga, DeSilva, Jayasuria, Murali and Vaas, so many stars. Now also I wait for Sri Lanka tour but only for Rohit Sharma scoring few more 200s or a possible 300 in ODIs.

6 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Cricket before T20 leagues was gold. We would tour every country once in four years so it was like a festival. Now there is so much money that any series can be arranged at anytime and anywhere, it's too professional now.

Before I used to be scared of Sri Lanka, Mahela, Sanga, DeSilva, Jayasuria, Murali and Vaas, so many stars. Now also I wait for Sri Lanka tour but only for Rohit Sharma scoring few more 200s or a possible 300 in ODIs.

bhai Jayasuriya aur Desilva hi kaafi they khauf ke liye :fear1:

3 minutes ago, MechEng said:

We were younger and hence had more intensity. Plus we did not have all cricket matches shown live in India like now when there is some match always on the TV all through the year.

Ind-SL was as common back then as well, esp from 1996 to 2001. Every 3rd month there used to be a tri series somewhere where Jaysurya will thrash us. Painful memories :((

5 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

bhai Jayasuriya aur Desilva hi kaafi they khauf ke liye :fear1:

SL were easily second best ODI side in the world after Australia in 2000s. In 1990s also they were second best with Pak and Aussies sharing first position.

Kulasekara was such a high skilled bowler, he had Vinay Kumar speeds but amazing skills with seam and swing, also was number one ICC ODI bowler for quite some time. 2 new ball rule probably made him completely obsolete, it was sad to see how Rohit Sharma mercilessly thwacked him in his 264.

Cricket is slowly becoming more athletic power based game rather than skill.

4 minutes ago, MechEng said:

SL were easily second best ODI side in the world after Australia in 2000s. In 1990s also they were second best with Pak and Aussies sharing first position.

1999 I would say SA, Aus and Pak/SL in that order. SA choked at the worst moment in 1999, otherwise would have been undisputed best in ODIs

1985, the tied test match against Australia. I think it was the last over and Ravi Shastri was bowling. Aussies needed a couple of runs to win, but somehow couldnt manage it and the test was drawn! 

Watching India's tour of Pakistan in 1988, when Sachin made his debut. In the ODI, Sachin hit Qadir for 3 straight sixes. And the commentators, who were heavily biased against Indians, were so shell shocked, they could hardly utter a word of appreciation. 

India vs South Africa Test. India 100 ao and 66 ao respectively. My school took us on North India tour when the match was going on, so it has to be like Dec '95 or '96.
We were supposed to go on sightseeing, instead a couple of us stayed back in hotel to watch the Indian team collapse.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Adi BB said:

# Pakistan Australia Kenya tries series (one of the most random tries series you'll ever see) , with one of the most random end ,yes the final was washed out lol ,trophy shared but I remember Hayden smashing the daylights out of Pakistani phaasstt boilers! And then their joke of a batting line up shitting bricks against McGrath and Gillespie. 

# Australia  chasing 326 against saf in a bilateral odi series in saf ,that was the highest chase during that time.

# dinesh mongia scoring a 170 odd against Zimbabwe in the decider and I was actually scared that zim could chase down that 330 odd total lol 

# India vs nzl gwalior odi 1999 ,remember that game due that bhardwaj run out and dada smashing nzl bowlers like tinpot at the death .that was a good one day series played with the red ball .

# India vs saf 2000 odi series game 1 at kochi I think ,India chased down 300 and I remember that game specifically because the umpires had signalled a 4 wrongly and then recalled the players when it was too dark just to finish the final run .

That was a great game and probably the best series win for India,beating saf in odis was the pinnacle for any team during that time 

Glad you mentioned that 330 vs zimbawe. I think Dinesh mongia scored 159. The way mongia and yuvi smashed zimbawe was a treat to watch.

Also in that match grant flower played a gem of a innings. The way he was sweeping and reverse-sweeping harbhajan was pure master-class to watch. Both Andy and Grant flower were masters in the art of sweeping and reverse-sweeping. 

4 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

There was this Test series vs Eng in 2001 when we had Iqbal Siddiqui and Tinu Yohananna opening the bowling for us! In one of the tests, Siddiqui came out to open and hit the winning runs!

Bewda used to compare Yohannan with Walsh back then :canabis:.

1987/88

Narendra Hirwani debut series against West Indies. Only reason I remember it because Dad allowed me to  watch whole series on our black and white television. I felt that Patterson was too quick(Way quicker then Walsh and others) to our bats and most of time our players used to duck him. Still remember that one ball which went over the boundry ropes in two or three bounce. One on the pitch and over, way over the keeper Dujon(Lion behind the wicket) and then it was near boundry ropes. Now I understand that he did not had right length.

This was first time i saw some players like Hiwani, Arun Lal.

IIRC Commies used to mention how Arun Lal had such a impeccable domestic record but he failed miserbaly that series.

Windies batted and batted , till Our Hirwani Heroics in one game brough some cheer

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/series/61942.html

Next memory I have is this. The reason it stuck in my mind is because, In those days winning against Pakistan gave a sense of satisfaction. This is probably one of the first match called off because Pakistanis couldn't take a loss and Karachi crowd invaded the ground

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/16635/scorecard/64347/pakistan-vs-india-3rd-odi-india-tour-of-pakistan-1989-90

3 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

In 2000, watching Sri Lanka play ODI tri series in Sharjah. There was this young bowler, Dilhara Fernando. Out of nowhere he started bowling at 148 and consistently above 145. I was like, damn! This kid is fast!

haha there was Fernando and some guy called Nissanka, similar built , similar looks couldnt differentiate them, i think Pak used to routinely beat Lanka in these finals 

6 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

In 2000, watching Sri Lanka play ODI tri series in Sharjah. There was this young bowler, Dilhara Fernando. Out of nowhere he started bowling at 148 and consistently above 145. I was like, damn! This kid is fast!

Those were the early days of the speedometer .Used to be curious to check how quick were the bowlers of different countries.

17 hours ago, saik said:

The only match India won in that series.

Skipper Azhar was batting beautifully in that game till he got run out because he ran for a single but Sachin stayed in the crease. You could clearly see the pressure on Sachins face. Then Kapil paaji walked in and he talked to Tendulkar. You can see from body language that he was telling him to forget what happened. Throughout that inning Kapil paaji was talking to Tendulkar. That hand on shoulder is to calm/soothe Tendulkar who was just a young kid. This type of free advise was not for first time. Tendulkar was allways given a tlc, atleast on field.

A lesson for our current senior players how to treat young kids like Shaw, Pant, Gill and others. When young kids makes a debut, you stay there, be with him, calm him, assure him, advise him and you never know. How far that young kid will go.

PS: Now, Hopefully some people will understand why I dislike Kohli the skipper.

Edited by mishra

11 hours ago, MechEng said:

Nope ,SA were the best team in the 90s followed by aus then pak and srl.

Windies ind eng and nzl were average with fee highs here and there. 

In the early 2000s aus took the top position 

India vs SL at cuttack. Vengsarkar made 166 on a minefield out of a total of 400 runs. He was miffed at not getting the man of the match award after India won by an Innings. He said something like "You go and do the batting on that pitch"

India never won a match in Pakistan until Robin singh helped us win in 1997. There was a time when India was playing superbly in the 80s. Especially vengsarkar. Suddenly Indian team had to return home after 1st half.  The entire tour was called off. Take a guess why?

Edited by vvvslaxman