Irfan Pathan nails it like a boss

sandeep

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/its-our-responsibility-for-our-sanity-to-stay-calm-and-spread-love-irfan-pathan-6172532/

Let me start with a personal story. When I went to Pakistan in 2004 for the Friendship tour, I went to a college in Lahore along with Rahul Dravid, L Balaji, and Parthiv Patel. In a question-and-answer segment attended by 1,500 students, one girl got up and asked, almost in anger: why do I play for India despite being a Muslim? I stood up and said I am not doing any favours (ehsaan) by playing for India. It’s my country, and I am lucky, proud and honoured to represent it. It’s my mulk, my country, a place where my ancestors all come from. Everyone in that college clapped.

If I can speak like that in Pakistan, in an open gathering, puffing out my chest, then I don’t need anyone’s permission in my own country to say what I feel. I have represented my country. Some people should realise that. When I ran in to bowl for India, I didn’t think I am a Muslim. I am an Indian first before anything else.

And what did I say? Here is my tweet: “Political blame game will go on forever but I and our country is concerned about the students of #JamiaMilia #JamiaProtest”

Is there anything wrong? Is there any hate speech there?

Whenever there are two sides to an argument, and both strong, I don’t tweet about it. Here, the issue was different. Peaceful protest in a democracy is a fundamental right. I wanted the attention to go there so that there is no loss of life there, the situation doesn’t worsen. These are kids, our future.

Aren’t the Jamia kids ours? Aren’t the IIM kids ours? Aren’t the North-East kids ours? Aren’t the kids from Kashmir and Gujarat ours? All of them are our kids. I saw some videos, images, visuals from media and from Twitter. I kept checking the facts, over and over again. Then I decided that it’s a right way to express my concerns about the students. Whether they are from Jamia or from IIM or any others, they are the future, the ones that will take our country forward.

No one should, of course, indulge in violence. There is nothing wrong in supporting students because they are our future. If they are doing something wrong, then there are peaceful ways to bring them back on track. And if they aren’t doing anything wrong and protesting peacefully, then there is nothing wrong with it. If I present my opinion on society, is it wrong? Haven’t I done anything for my society? I have. I also know that in this era of social media, there would be reactions and I also know that many of them are fake accounts.

jammu and kashmir cricket association, jammu and kashmir situation, jammu and kashmir bifurcation, article 370, article 370 scrapped, jkca, irdan pathan, vizzy cup, sports news, Indian ExpressIrfan Pathan. (Source: Express Archive)

I thought that I needed to speak. I started and then, lots of others started to speak out. Sometimes, it needs one to start tweeting, and others follow it. Then the focus goes there. Who will start it is the big question, but I always have loved to bowl with the new ball! Jokes apart, I felt I needed to speak out and so, I did.

That episode in Pakistan did come to my mind yesterday after I tweeted. I have smashed stumps on the field in Pakistan and did the same off the field in that country, and my intent is being questioned in my own country?

When I tweeted against Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan, who had uttered words such as ‘bloodbath’ and ‘fight to end’, in a speech in United Nations in October, I was a “laadla”, a darling. Now I am not? Now when I am talking about the wellbeing of our own country’s kids, I am wrong?

I am often asked whether celebrities should speak their mind on issues in the country. I have always believed that it’s up to the individual concerned. And it also depends on the situation.

Let me share another personal example. I was in Kashmir, coaching the Jammu and Kashmir cricket team, when the Pulwama episode happened and our Army was attacked. Our team was shifted to Jammu. The families of our soldiers were in shock and in sorrow, and you could feel it. I was holed up in a hotel and could see out of my window that the people of Jammu, affected by what had happened, were burning bikes and cars in protest. Whose bikes and cars were they? Those of our own people. But I didn’t tweet anything then; I could see that our people were angry, our jawans had been killed. I could have tweeted, ‘don’t protest violently, don’t burn vehicles’ but it would have been silly. It’s not right to protest violently but I could see the underlying emotions there.

It’s important that as long as I speak my mind — as long as it’s not a hate message — people will take it positively. You will never find any hatred in my tweets. Even when I am speaking about Imran Khan, I am talking about peace. I will always advocate peace.

I am also asked in particular about cricketers — should we speak out more? The reality is that there is much at stake for us cricketers. It is for the individuals to decide whether they want to speak out or not.

I also realise that much of the so-called atmosphere, or mahoul, is created in the virtual world. I have seen it before while returning from losses in cricket games. Some elements would trigger stone throwing or whatever, and say people are angry. Sometimes, that mahoul is created by the media itself. I have stopped reacting to such negativity.

Similarly, now, we all know how the vicious atmosphere is created today — how social accounts can be bought with money and fake atmosphere of negativity or positivity over any issue created. We, as citizens of our beautiful country, need to be alert that its peace isn’t destroyed.

When it comes to the political climate in our country, first it used to be about roti, kapda aur makaan (food, clothes and housing). Then, it’s development. Now and then, religion comes in. But remember, most people care about wellbeing and growth.

When I speak to my friends, we never discuss religion. We talk about each other’s work, life, how to grow. No one says, I won’t work with a person who is of a different faith than me. We all want to grow and take care of our families. If you grow, the country will grow.

Don’t spread hate. We should retain positivity in our minds. It’s not like before, a random text message of hate, now it’s everywhere; just open the phone and it will flood in. It’s our responsibility, for our own sanity, to stay calm and spread positivity and love.

I have earned my money with honesty and hard work. If someone says I have tweeted even one word of hate ever, I will leave social media now. As a kid I didn’t even have a cycle. Today, people have given me such love and whole country has given me love, and that love will remain. I am confident that people will try to understand the intent behind my tweet and I am sure they will.

(Irfan Pathan, a member of the 2007 T20 World Cup winning team, spoke to Devendra Pandey)

Irfan doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, those targeting him are scumbags. He has always stood up for India on and off the field. Shame on those heckling him both from dolt RW and left/libtards/Muslims side who are circulating his past tweets/activities to malign him. 

Edited by Gollum

Why hasn’t he asked why the students are protesting and that too violently, patherbaazi, busse jalana, hurting police? For what? I am not questioning his loyalty, but pointing his proJamia support reeks similar to the 1000s of seculars, peacefuls, commies that we are calling out on. Tell his sheep (brethren supporters) that CAB has nothing to do with students studying in Jamia, just go to classes.

54 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Irfan doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, those targeting him are scumbags. He has always stood up for India on and off the field. Shame on those heckling him both from dolt RW and left/libtards/Muslims side who are circulating his past tweets/activities to malign him. 

Its reflective of the hostility and normalization of bigotry against muslims.  

43 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Why hasn’t he asked why the students are protesting and that too violently, patherbaazi, busse jalana, hurting police? For what? I am not questioning his loyalty, but pointing his proJamia support reeks similar to the 1000s of seculars,

Why does he have to?  Show me where you have taken out a protest march against "Sadhvi" Thakur's horrifc words, before you "earn the right" to voice your opinion on CAA and those who are protesting against it. 

Why does his opinion have to be certified with a pre-requisite of proving that he's against violence, etc.  Isn't that a given?  

47 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Tell his sheep (brethren supporters) that CAB has nothing to do with students studying in Jamia, just go to classes.

So he should mirror your personal opinion and not have one of his own?  And if he doesn't he "reeks"?  

Awesome.  Great attitude.

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Why does he have to? 

He is the one taking stand similar to  staunch secularists and  those opinions against CAB is totally unjustified. Let there be new as why police entered library and hostels and don’t jump to conclusions about police or government not caring about students. If he is playing victim now, he should have been more neutral or people will call out his hypocrisy.

Show me where you have taken out a protest march against "Sadhvi" Thakur's horrifc words, before you "earn the right" to voice your opinion on CAA and those who are protesting against it. 

What is your obsession with her in your recent posts? I am a nobody compared to IP. Not getting your argument. If you are miffed with her, open a new thread and let’s discuss. I don’t agree with her Godse is a patriot act, but her hatred against Muslims is fueled by a similar one from the other side.

Why does his opinion have to be certified with a pre-requisite of proving that he's against violence, etc.  Isn't that a given?  

If he is so concerned about the students, he should advise them to not go on street , but understand CAB is not about Muslims living in India at all.

1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

What is your obsession with her in your recent posts?

Find more than one post on her from me.  "Obsession"?  Use logic in a discussion, not ignorant stereotyping and bias.  Try again.

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

If he is playing victim now, he should have been more neutral or people will call out his hypocrisy.

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

If he is so concerned about the students, he should advise them to not go on street , but understand CAB is not about Muslims living in India at all.

So essentially, he should reflect your opinion, instead of having a different one.  And if he doesn't there's something wrong with him or his motives.  Awesome.  Keep going.

Just now, sandeep said:

Find more than one post on her from me.  "Obsession"?  Use logic in a discussion, not ignorant stereotyping and bias.  Try again.

I just in another thread your argument with Gollum comparing Pragya Thakur to the scumbags who are destroying public property.

Just now, sandeep said:

So essentially, he should reflect your opinion, instead of having a different one.  And if he doesn't there's something wrong with him or his motives.  Awesome.  Keep going.

Not questioning his motives, but him playing victim is not justified. 

37 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Bigotry exists in all shades in India, every celeb in India has been a target of bigots/trolls...Sachin, Big B, Sania, SRK etc. Sometimes celebs deserve brickbats, sometimes they get undeserved hate, undeserved love/support etc. Once you have a public stature you will attract attention. Besides SM attracts too many jobless idiots, as long as they remain minority voices we are good. Irfan is getting a lot of SM support even by pro-BJP handles here, those hating him from RW side have been drowned out. But libtards and members of his own community still not letting him go due to his proximity to Modi a few years back, circulating his old images and tweets....what normalization is that? 

Edited by Gollum

I never judge SM activities of these celebs based on isolated incidents, no trend to suggest that Irfan was fishing for mischief here, nothing political as well. Good lad, doesn't carry any agenda, an idealist maybe, proud Indian.

This isn't an India specific problem, no matter what a celeb does he/she will face backlash from a certain section, ruthless trolling often. Mel Gibson, Hugh Jackman, Kloss faced a lot of fire from the left over trivial issues....OTOH the likes of Streep, Blanchett, Rowling get flak even on normal days. That's the way of the world cos fame comes with a price, they better get used to it, if there are threats of violence different matter. That's why I guess many don't use SM to comment on stuff outside their profession, immediate interest...but then they get called out for being silent enablers of fascism, communism, Islamism, neoliberalism and what not. Maybe the only reason why so many celebs refuse to have accounts, less $$$$ but good for peace of mind. 

Edited by Gollum

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I never judge SM activities of these celebs based on isolated incidents, no trend to suggest that Irfan was fishing for mischief here, nothing political as well. Good lad, doesn't carry any agenda, an idealist maybe, proud Indian.

:hatsoff:

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Why hasn’t he asked why the students are protesting and that too violently, patherbaazi, busse jalana, hurting police? For what? I am not questioning his loyalty, but pointing his proJamia support reeks similar to the 1000s of seculars, peacefuls, commies that we are calling out on. Tell his sheep (brethren supporters) that CAB has nothing to do with students studying in Jamia, just go to classes.

Do you think these riots are not being used as a tool by opposition to inflame things. But question is what the hell does BJP want, I blame BJP more for causing this and everyone from all parties will be fine.Only ones suffering are common man does not matter if he/she is hindu or is muslim.

16 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Do you think these riots are not being used as a tool by opposition to inflame things. But question is what the hell does BJP want, I blame BJP more for causing this and everyone from all parties will be fine.Only ones suffering are common man does not matter if he/she is hindu or is muslim.

BJP wants a center-right India, not a far left minority appeasing European Union  India.