Top order Batsman to blame for collapse.

CG

1 minute ago, kira said:

Vijay got a good one

Pujara got a jaffa

Kohli had a brain fart

Rahul lost all his brain cells

Rahane is just Shite against spin

The middle and lower order is to blame for the collapse

On indian pitches Batting at the top is easiest ,Lower and middle order can save u only so many times.

5 hours ago, kira said:

Vijay got a good one

Pujara got a jaffa

Kohli had a brain fart

Rahul lost all his brain cells

Rahane is just Shite against spin

The middle and lower order is to blame for the collapse

Vijay got a decent ball, but should've been tighter.  Chepu is the only blameless one, but he should have been quicker to drop his gloves on length there.  VK's dismissal is the softest of them all, but he's been so disciplined, bound to make a mistake once in a while.  Rahane's dismissal was poor as well.  I don't blame Rahul too much - he scored 64 with his approach, can't blame him when he gets out the same way.  

So maximum blame on Skipper and VC.  

Shyte happens.  Same guys win you games, they'll mess up once in a while as well.  

4 hours ago, sandeep said:

Vijay got a decent ball, but should've been tighter.  Chepu is the only blameless one, but he should have been quicker to drop his gloves on length there.  VK's dismissal is the softest of them all, but he's been so disciplined, bound to make a mistake once in a while.  Rahane's dismissal was poor as well.  I don't blame Rahul too much - he scored 64 with his approach, can't blame him when he gets out the same way.  

So maximum blame on Skipper and VC.  

Shyte happens.  Same guys win you games, they'll mess up once in a while as well.  

The fact that most of our batsmen threw their wicket away or were unlucky gives us hope too.  Their spinners were still ordinary and there is only so much their seamers can do on this track.

Usually, most of our batters put a price on their wickets.   Today was an aberration.

That means, if they play normally,  there is chance of them making a match out of this mess.

My only worry in the long run is regarding Rahul, who has thrown his wicket away in 80% of the matches he has played in the last year, in all 3 formats.  Today, he played really well till his 50 but started to play risky aerial shots one after the other after that and perished eventually.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

The fact that most of our batsmen threw their wicket away or were unlucky gives us hope too.  Their spinners were still ordinary and there is only so much their seamers can do on this track.

Usually, most of our batters put a price on their wickets.   Today was an aberration.

That means, if they play normally,  there is chance of them making a match out of this mess.

My only worry in the long run is regarding Rahul, who has thrown his wicket away in 80% of the matches he has played in the last year, in all 3 formats.  Today, he played really well till his 50 but started to play risky aerial shots one after the other after that and perished eventually.

KLR has demonstrated the ability and skills to be a test match opener.  He clearly is a work in progress and has made errors in pacing his innings, shot selection etc - that's why he has gotten himself out quite often.  But given his ability, he gets the rope he does.  He will work things out, and can be potentially one of the best test batsmen around if he does, in a season or 2.  If not, there's no shortage of capable batsmen waiting for their opportunity.  

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Rahul can be excused here...I always say this with a lot of fear because people will be on my case and bring in Rohit for some bizzare reason but I have always said,Rahane is way way too inconsistent.....if he scored 1 100 and 1 50 on an overseas tour sure that is great,but he needs to cash in on easier surfaces and get consistency into his game.

You will see Rahane score a mind blowing 100 on a minefield/green top and get out under 10 on the flattest of tracks...absolutely inconsistent.

He has Rohit with an average of 80.00 in his last series and Nair with a 300 breathing down his neck.....I am not asking him to be dropped but he needs to bring in consistency soon.

16 minutes ago, maniac said:

Rahul can be excused here...I always say this with a lot of fear because people will be on my case and bring in Rohit for some bizzare reason but I have always said,Rahane is way way too inconsistent.....if he scored 1 100 and 1 50 on an overseas tour sure that is great,but he needs to cash in on easier surfaces and get consistency into his game.

You will see Rahane score a mind blowing 100 on a minefield/green top and get out under 10 on the flattest of tracks...absolutely inconsistent.

He has Rohit with an average of 80.00 in his last series and Nair with a 300 breathing down his neck.....I am not asking him to be dropped but he needs to bring in consistency soon.

Rahane was averaging  47+ before this test,  after a bad run in a few matches.   He averages 54+  out of Asia.

He is also someone who is not a big-hundreds-man  like say a Kohli nowadays. Has only one score of 150+.

That means he is not inconsistent.... otherwise, such averages cannot be maintained despite having only one score of 150+ in his career.

His problem is his faulty technique against spin bowling as of today.  He needs to work on this aspect very seriously and very hard. If he keeps on looking this uncomfortable against mediocre spinners, he will face a lot of pressure from Karun Nair waiting in the wings.

6 minutes ago, Pollack said:

I am not worried about Rahul. I am more concerned if he now curbs his natural game to counter allegations of throwing away his wicket which will mess up his game further.We need to come to terms that he bats the way he bats. Maybe we can change his position from opener to down the order one above Rahane or one below rahane depending on match situations since openers cannot be boom or doom in tests.

Rahul's issues seem more mental. And that's good, because mental issues can be fixed without really changing your natural game.

36 minutes ago, sandeep said:

KLR has demonstrated the ability and skills to be a test match opener.  He clearly is a work in progress and has made errors in pacing his innings, shot selection etc - that's why he has gotten himself out quite often.  But given his ability, he gets the rope he does.  He will work things out, and can be potentially one of the best test batsmen around if he does, in a season or 2.  If not, there's no shortage of capable batsmen waiting for their opportunity.  

Rahul's ability  is undeniable.  He makes batting look easy on any track. He is one batter whom we want to succeed.

His problems started when he succeeded in the IPL last year and he has tried to change his natural style of batting since then.

His original style of batting, which got him into the test team in the first place, was more classical. Leaving lots of deliveries outside the off stump,  putting away only the loose deliveries, not playing unnecessary risky shots.  After may last year, he suddenly started to bat like a dashing high risk opener, which is not natural for him.  It is unnecessary too as  he is a natural stroke-player and runs come quickly anyway if he is at the crease.

Players who are work-in-progress have issues regarding technique, innings pacing, playing long innings etc. All those issues are ok.  But trying to play casually or trying to emulate someone else's batting style, are not good issues to have for any cricketer at any stage.

Edited by express bowling
26 minutes ago, kosingh said:

Rahul's issues seem more mental. And that's good, because mental issues can be fixed without really changing your natural game.

After transformation into an all format batsman which he wasn't before he has a range of shots now to toy with and an improved power game.He relies on those instinctively rather than strategically. That makes him play one shot too many which is the cause of throwing away. In other words he has made it his natural game.Asking him to be more cautious means he has to shrink his set of shots.He will always play positively unless the situation demand absolutely otherwise.This is akin to changing a bowler's action when he has found right amount of success with present just to twitch some glitches. For not' throwing away' ,he needs to be the old Rahul and he goes back to being it we may loose Rahul the ODI and t20 player because he hasn't played enough to switch comfortably between formats. As time progresses and he becomes a secure member of all formats and importantly play more matches across formats he would naturally become more responsible.

Edited by Pollack