Kohli vs Sachin . Can we stop this embarrassing comparison (POLL)

Has Virat surpassed Sachin as a cricketer?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Has Virat surpassed Sachin as a cricketer?

2 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

First WC was in 2007.. He was just not good enough to make it into the team unlike Sehwag or Gambhir.. We can't talk if the format existed back in 90s. 

I will tell you why Tendulkar did not play in 2007 wc.

its not that he wasn’t good enough. He olayd in IPL and did more than decent job. He played one format called Max Cricket in New Zealand during 2001 tour which was of 15 overs and 2 innings each. India lost a close game but Tendulkar was our best bat.

The reason why he did not play.

In 2007, he and Indian seniors were low on confidence and hence they did not take part in the t20 world cup because Tendulkar and co wetr trying to come out of that 2007 world cup phase where he was let down by the people of India for their crazy reaction to India’s early exit in 2007 world cup. Even though India won test series in England in 07, the scars left by Indian fans still were on the players like Ganguly, Tendulkar, Dravid etc. 

Indian public behaved like crap honestly during that world cup exit in 2007 in March and I am very sure that was one of the reasons why none of these guys commited enough to t20 and wanted to concentrate solely on Test Matches and stay away from any world events like t20 world cup which was about to take place.

2 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Indian public behaved like crap honestly during that world cup exit in 2007 in March and I am very sure that was one of the reasons why none of these guys commited enough to t20 and wanted to concentrate solely on Test Matches and stay away from any world events like t20 world cup which was about to take place.

So basically he was afraid of another failure like 2007 WC and backlash.. So he decided not to play ? Isn't that running away from challenge? Doubt we would have won T20WC with them anyway... Whatever it is.. Worked out well for India:isalute: We won it. 

3 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

So basically he was afraid of another failure like 2007 WC and backlash.. So he decided not to play ? Isn't that running away from challenge? Doubt we would have won T20WC with them anyway... Whatever it is.. Worked out well for India:isalute: We won it. 

Won’t say afraid. People are low on confidence and question their game during different times of their life.

Top atheletes do it from time to time. Usain Bolt has questiioned himself, and Roger Federer always talk about it on how he was low on confidence etc. They are some of the greatest in sports and they have no shame in admitting that. Tendulkar went through the same thing and so did many other players.

Every top sportsman goes through that. Part of a long career. 

20 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

5. Averaging 14.

e1bb4d0c-bd79-4f2d-aa12-1e33dde5964a.png

LINK

So you are writing him off based on 5 matches, One good score he will get his average up.Sachin's career is over where Kohli is still going on based on his t20s knock outs, I am positive he is not overawed by occasion or is under pressure, he just failed.

He literally dragged his team thru two t20 finals.He will have big world cup sooner than later.

Just now, putrevus said:

So you are writing him off based on 5 matches, One good score he will get his average up.Sachin's career is over where Kohli is still going on based on his t20s knock outs, I am positive he is not overawed by occasion or is under pressure, he just failed.

He literally dragged his team thru two t20 finals.He will have big world cup sooner than later.

How did you deduce that :thinking:? The point is, he has generally failed in WC KO games so far. Which is why it is hasty to hail him as the ODI GOAT or even the best of his era. No one is saying he can't pull it off in the future.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

How did you deduce that :thinking:? The point is, he has generally failed in WC KO games so far. Which is why it is hasty to hail him as the ODI GOAT or even the best of his era. No one is saying he can't pull it off in the future.

I don't think he failed, 2011 he was still a baby and yet he played a pivotal small role in finals.2015 they were playing in Australia for 4 months he just ran out gas, he started with century and simply ran out of gas.

16 minutes ago, putrevus said:

2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I don't think he failed, 2011 he was still a baby and yet he played a pivotal small role in finals.2015 they were playing in Australia for 4 months he just ran out gas, he started with century and simply ran out of gas.

Okay I give up.

Baby Sachin of 1992 WC had more balls than the current God of Indian fans. Kohli may have balls but when he enters a big tournament they shrink into walnut size balloons. This thread is an insult to cricket and humanity, after 2019 WC we may have something to discuss but now's not the time. SRT and Viv are way beyond the league of modern day superstar ODI bats. Only ABDV and Kohli can enter the discussion in the next few years, let's see what they are made up of next year.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Baby Sachin of 1992 WC had more balls than the current God of Indian fans. Kohli may have balls but when he enters a big tournament they shrink into walnut size balloons. This thread is an insult to cricket and humanity, after 2019 WC we may have something to discuss but now's not the time. SRT and Viv are way beyond the league of modern day superstar ODI bats. Only ABDV and Kohli can enter the discussion in the next few years, let's see what they are made up of next year.

ABDV's course is pretty much over. He's a lot more experience than Kohli, and I don't expect him to do much in the next WC (and he may even be injured then). The 2019 WC is effectively Kohli's last chance to leave some impact, since I expect he will be in decline by the 2023 WC.

4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

ABDV's course is pretty much over. He's a lot more experience than Kohli, and I don't expect him to do much in the next WC (and he may even be injured then). The 2019 WC is effectively Kohli's last chance to leave some impact, since I expect he will be in decline by the 2023 WC.

Fate robbed ABDV in 2015, was batting beautifully in the semis. 

Another great thing about Kohli is that he is achieving all this greatness alongside taking care of captaincy. Even though he has MSD's support in LOIs, but he is still the captain and that is what it counts.

He is performing and winning games taking all pressure of captaincy. I think that should make him a step above Sachin.

25 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Fate robbed ABDV in 2015, was batting beautifully in the semis. 

More like the SA team robbed him, as they always do. Should have done a Kolpak long ago and migrated to Eng. Or, better still, he could have moved to Ind, settled in Bangalore and played for us.

Here's some interesting stats comparison for both after 205 ODIs:

Sachin 

MATCHES 205 INNINGS 198 NO 19 RUNS 7593 HS 143 AVG 42.41   SR 86.08 100s- 20 50s- 43

Kohli

MATCHES 205 INNINGS 197 NO 34 RUNS 9348 HS 183 AVG 57.34   91.89 100s-34

50s- 45

Sachin only has Kohli beat on SR. He played his first ODI in 1989 and 205th ODI in 1998 so I would put an average SR of 86 during that time at around 105 in today's terms. Kohli's got Sachin on everything else, quite comfortably. You can say Sachin faced better bowlers , opened the batting for the majority of that time,  faced a reversing ball more often, but when you account Kohli's significant better chasing than Sachin( at least 5x), I'm gonna say Kohli has surpassed Sachin as an ODI batsman.

1 minute ago, Dada's Army said:

Here's some interesting stats comparison for both after 205 ODIs:

Sachin 

MATCHES 205 INNINGS 198 NO 19 RUNS 7593 HS 143 AVG 42.41   SR 86.08 100s- 20 50s- 43

Kohli

MATCHES 205 INNINGS 197 NO 34 RUNS 9348 HS 183 AVG 57.34   91.89 100s-34

50s- 45

Sachin only has Kohli beat on SR. He played his first ODI in 1989 and 205th ODI in 1998 so I would put an average SR of 86 during that time at around 105 in today's terms. Kohli's got Sachin on everything else, quite comfortably. You can say Sachin faced better bowlers , opened the batting for the majority of that time,  faced a reversing ball more often, but when you account Kohli's significant better chasing than Sachin( at least 5x), I'm gonna say Kohli has surpassed Sachin as an ODI batsman.

Kohli is just half way through sachin's run tally, it will take another few years of consistency by kohli to surpass sachin the odi batsman, you guys are too easily influenced by the recency bias

1 minute ago, kira said:

Kohli is just half way through sachin's run tally, it will take another few years of consistency by kohli to surpass sachin the odi batsman, you guys are too easily influenced by the recency bias

Another few years like this will put Kohli at 49+ centuries in a significant less time, which will put Kohli in a completely different league.