'Explosive cricket' not India's style - Kohli

On 6/10/2017 at 4:21 AM, King Tendulkar said:

If you look at interview he does say that in hindsight there were periods when should have accelerated more . But of course those bits don't get reported here on icf lol

the mob wants blood after one . I repeat one loss lol

People make too much of these freakin one liners and when it gets converted into article headlines, some members just go crazy and find a reason to even criticize one of the greatest ODI batsmen the world has seen thus far - Kohli.  Thats right, reading through the comments in this thread, and I see few members, not all criticizing even Kohli's batting approach lol. Kohli's approach is probabaly one of the best in ODI cricket history, his ability to take single and get off strike and rotate around. 

People need to calm down. We need change and better hitters, but Kohli is the best thing happend to Indian cricket as far ad captaincy is concerned. These people shoild name a better captain to captain India right now. He doesn't mean what exactly the one liners suggest. If he doesn't like hitters he won't have included youngsters like pandya who can hit and add explosiveness to our lower batting order. He likes all of it and hence Jadhav and Pandya are part of our batting order.

Stick it up folks. This guy is going to be your captain for a very long time. Like it or not. And he will go down as the greatest of our era too.

On 6/9/2017 at 3:46 PM, express bowling said:

If one team plays explosive cricket throughout the 50 overs

And another team plays explosive cricket for only 10 overs

And the pitch is so flat ( as is the usual case nowadays in most ODIs )  that too many wickets are not lost even while playing explosively 

Then which team will win more games ??

Kohli needs to ponder over this situation.

I think the word explosive had been blown out of proportion. Kohli likes aggressiveness and ability for the batting to score fast and hence he has Jadhav and Pandya down the order to hit.

What he is suggesting is that there is a difference between players.

He is trying to back his slow starters like Rohit Sharma, who has been India's best opener in a while. Problem is we can't drop sharma. And hence Kohli is backing.

You don't want him to come out and say "our openers were negative and started slow even though they gave us good start."

Dhawan and Sharma are the best openers in India and hence have to be backed and can't be criticized. Also, Rohit isn't still back yet to his best so, we have to lice with what we have. He is still scoring big runs and that is a plus.

13 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I think the word explosive had been blown out of proportion. Kohli likes aggressiveness and ability for the batting to score fast and hence he has Jadhav and Pandya down the order to hit.

He is trying to back his slow starters like Rohit Sharma, who has been India's best opener in a while. Problem is we can't drop sharma. And hence Kohli is backing.

You don't want him to come out and say "our openers were negative and started slow even though they gave us good start."

Dhawan and Sharma are the best openers in India and hence have to be backed and can't be criticized. Also, Rohit isn't still back yet to his best so, we have to lice with what we have. He is still scoring big runs and that is a plus.

Excellent point . What people don't realise as a captain you can't hammer your team in public to press . Behind closed doors the conversations are had

here rohit and Dhawan will open batting . So publicly needs to back them and their methods . Also again the headline is basically fake as the whole interview was more intellectual then this line . As he said shoudl have accelerated more in periods 

6 hours ago, Cricketics said:

I am not basing my comments on this interview, which can be blown out of proportion.

As we have discussed before,  I  am not happy with our ODI batting approach for the last 3 years.

Par scores have increased a lot these days in ODIs.  SR of batsmen have increased, teams are scoring more runs than before in the 1 to 40 over period.

Our team management has to be mindful of that. We are too dependant on the last 10 over acceleration.

Edited by express bowling
51 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I am not basing my comments on this interview, which can be blown out of proportion.

As we have discussed before,  I  am not happy with our ODI batting approach for the last 3 years.

Par scores have increased a lot in this time in ODIs.  SR of batsmen have increased, teams are scoring more runs than before in the 1 to 40 over period.

Our team management has to be mindful of that. We are too dependant on the last 10 over acceleration.

Agreed and it will change slowly and steadily. Pant has come in t20s, Jadhav and Pandya in 50 overs, slowly their is transition going on and I am sure there will be a continuous transition for good. 

It occurs to me that on wickets where 350 is par and 375 is gettable you need to preserve wickets and go 'slow' in the way our openers have done, and RSA have done in today's game. The risk of significantly under-achieving by say 100 runs is that much greater in such conditions through loss of early wickets. In conditions where 300 is par and 325 gettable which seems to be the case in this tournament then actually putting your foot on the gas earlier is the more sensible strategy. A ball is more likely to have your name on it throughout the innings and the opportunity cost of not being able to go hell for leather in the last 10 is diminished on a harder wicket.