ODI squad for SL series selected. Yuvi dropped.

Mosher

'If Dhoni is not delivering, we will have to look at alternatives' - MSK Prasad

welcome statement from chief selectors, dhoni 's sluggish batting in middle overs shouldnt be condoned any longer,if doesnt show any progress there are aletrnatives

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20331411/yuvraj-singh-dropped-r-ashwin-ravindra-jadeja-rested-sri-lanka-odis

The selectors also opted to rest the spin duo of R Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja along with Umesh Yadav and Mohammad Shami, the team's frontline seamers during the Test series.

Rohit Sharma also returns to the squad as vice-captain after being rested for the West Indies tour.

So, according to cricinfo,  Ash and Jaddu are just rested, not dropped: whoever plays as the spinners will have to have great performances to unseat them. 

20 hours ago, Oldhere said:

Finally, an ODI squad which is above average.

Two things that could have been improved:

- Not Selecting Pant most probably in place of Rahane

- Selecting Axar Patel as dont see him as long term ODI player specially with Jadeja also of same age and both are similar batsmen. Krunal would have been better pick as he is better batsmen.

Yuvi being dropped is first good step. I was a big supporter of Yuvi and always want him to do well but he has been finished since 2013.

So, all in all it seems that Kohli is slowly moving away from oldies and if MSD doesnt perform in next few series then he could also be dropped.

Jadeja is 28, Axar Patel is 23, huge difference in age. In long term, Patel will be a better ODI bowler and batsman than Jadeja.

One thing is that the Prasad fellow shouldn't have made the statement on Dhoni. I agree that if Dhoni doesn't perform he should be dropped, but why single out Dhoni in the media? 

Even if he was asked about Dhoni in particular, a generic response would've been more professional: "We are evaluating all the players in contention for selection based on current form and performances. All players will be selected on merit."  

5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Jadeja is 28, Axar Patel is 23, huge difference in age. In long term, Patel will be a better ODI bowler and batsman than Jadeja.

That's not a valid logic. Jadeja has a full 4 to 5 years ahead of him if not more. At this point the selection should be based on merit and not age. Not that I'm in support of Jadeja's selection but I find your logic to be flawed.

Edited by The Dark Horse
26 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

That's not a valid logic. Jadeja has a full 4 to 5 years ahead of him if not more. At this point the selection should be based on merit and not age. Not that I'm in support of Jadeja's selection but I find your logic to be flawed.

Jadeja has already proven to be below average in ODIs.

12 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

Dropping him is ok, but not on the basis of age. He's the most agile fielder and will continue to be so for sometime at least.

where did I say based on age? At least read the post, i replied to. Oldhere, stated the wrong ages. The poster said they both are of similar ages. I just corrected him.

Edited by rkt.india
1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

where did I say based on age? At least read the post, i replied to.

You wrote huge difference in age. If it was Dhoni I can agree to that logic, since he's 33+. 4 years from now is still long term. By that time Axar or even Jadeja may not be in the reckoning. I'm just saying it's not good to bring age into the discussion as Jadeja is still under 30.

20 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

You wrote huge difference in age. If it was Dhoni I can agree to that logic, since he's 33+. 4 years from now is still long term. By that time Axar or even Jadeja may not be in the reckoning. I'm just saying it's not good to bring age into the discussion as Jadeja is still under 30.

I just corrected the poster. He said they are of same age while they are not. I didn't not say to be picked or not to be picked based on age.