Looks have become more important than form, says Sunil Gavaskar (Coz rahane is dropped)

32 minutes ago, NareshK said:

He was tagged as a floater by Kohli, meaning he can bat either as an opener or at 4.

Can bat  and not that he will and he did well as an opener, not as a middle order bat. Rahul IMO is going to be a damn good ODI batsman once he finds his feet in middle order. He has all the attributes.

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Can bat  and not that he will and he did well as an opener, not as a middle order bat. Rahul IMO is going to be a damn good ODI batsman once he finds his feet in middle order. He has all the attributes.

But then kohli did say Rahane as a floater. So if he wanted he could have played him in middle order. Dont think poster you are quoting is rooting Rahane. He just pointed out there was a position in middle order where Rahane could have played since kohli himself said of Rahane being a floater. Now that he preferred Rahul is understandable.

9 minutes ago, Pollack said:

But then kohli did say Rahane as a floater. So if he wanted he could have played him in middle order. Dont think poster you are quoting is rooting Rahane. He just pointed out there was a position in middle order where Rahane could have played since kohli himself said of Rahane being a floater. Now that he preferred Rahul is understandable.

He said it when Rahul was unavailable. Rahul potentially is a far better option for ODIs than Rahane. He should get more chances to establish himself. 

5 hours ago, express bowling said:

Selections are sometimes unfair in every country across eras.

As far as this series is concerned, players are being rotated to give chances to new players against a weak opposition.

I am not satisfied with the rotation policy at all. Dhoni at max should have got no more than two games. Kohli should have rested for few. Spinner rotation was fine. Pace OK. I would have had two more batsman in a meaningful rotation.

Selections are extremely unfair. 

Edited by Khota
3 minutes ago, Khota said:

I am not satisfied with the rotation policy at all. Dhoni at max should have got no more than two games. Kohli should have rested for few. Spinner rotation was fine. Pace OK. I would have had two more batsman in a meaningful rotation.

India doesn't have a rotation policy.   I suspect the TV channels wouldn't be too happy if we started 'rotating' the likes of Virat more frequently.   

5 minutes ago, sandeep said:

India doesn't have a rotation policy.   I suspect the TV channels wouldn't be too happy if we started 'rotating' the likes of Virat more frequently.   

You are absolutely correct. 

It comes down to stupid coaches who do not understand sports.

Good NBA teams always win based on their bench not the starters. Bench is very important. 

4 minutes ago, Khota said:

You are absolutely correct. 

It comes down to stupid coaches who do not understand sports.

Good NBA teams always win based on their bench not the starters. Bench is very important. 

Flawed comparison.  NBA bench players always play big chunk of minutes every game.  

Our problem is that glaring weaknesses and requirements of the team are not filled pro actively, even when we actually have a good size pool of players who could potentially fill that needed role.  Reasons could be group-ism, commercial press's or just plain old inertia.  

10 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Flawed comparison.  NBA bench players always play big chunk of minutes every game.  

Our problem is that glaring weaknesses and requirements of the team are not filled pro actively, even when we actually have a good size pool of players who could potentially fill that needed role.  Reasons could be group-ism, commercial press's or just plain old inertia.  

Not flawed at all. Playing games all the time leads to fatigue. Burnout is real and fresh legs and minds will perfrom better. Bench is very important. Your back up 4 are as important as starting 11.

It is extremely critical for pace bowling. Body needs to heal.

Edited by Khota
33 minutes ago, Khota said:

Apart from the captain and the keeper-batsman's positions, all other positions have been rotated.

So many of our demands ..... drop / rest   Yuvraj,  Ashwin,  Jaddu, Umesh .... don't play Rahane .... try new spinners .... try new pacers ..... give Shami rest .... try out Rahul and Pandey ..... have all been met in this series.

Just now, express bowling said:

Apart from the captain and the keeper-batsman's positions, all other positions have been rotated.

So many of our demands ..... drop / rest   Yuvraj,  Ashwin,  Jaddu, Umesh .... don't play Rahane .... try new spinners .... try new pacers ..... give Shami rest .... try out Rahul and Pandey ..... have all been met in this series.

If we want a realistic chance to win the next world cup we need a second all-rounder in the starting XI.  Ideally a big hitter who can bowl useful spin.  Have we started looking for this guy? Auditioning candidates like Krunal Pandya  or others?

There's a greater than 50% chance that w may need a new 'keeper-bat as well.  Have started the transition? 

I'm not too satisfied with the lip service to rotation this series.  

7 minutes ago, sandeep said:

If we want a realistic chance to win the next world cup we need a second all-rounder in the starting XI.  Ideally a big hitter who can bowl useful spin.  Have we started looking for this guy? Auditioning candidates like Krunal Pandya  or others?

I'm not too satisfied with the lip service to rotation this series.  

The role of batting all-rounder is very important and desperately needs a back-up.

Problem was, both Krunal and Shankar got injured in the middle of the SA-A tour and were unavailable for selection.

There are no other proper candidates and Axar was tried as a compromise.

Issue with Krunal is that he has limited List A experience but it was good to see him in the A-team so quickly.

Deepak Hooda was another candidate but he is out of form now and not a very good bowler ..... at best, he can be a backup for Jadhav and not Hardik.

Edited by express bowling
7 minutes ago, sandeep said:

There's a greater than 50% chance that w may need a new 'keeper-bat as well.  Have started the transition? 

Karthik played 3 games in WI as a batter but was dropped in this series.  

I get the feeling that the team management does not consider Pant to be ready for ODIs yet.  His average A-tour List-A  performance did not help either.

Developing a backup keeper-batsman, even if Dhoni is around, should be high on their agenda.

7 minutes ago, Khota said:

As a minimum the current 4 to 5 spinners are fine.

Two more pacers need to be tried.

Wkt keeper batsman is a desperate need.

As a minimum two more opening bats need to be tried. 

Opening bats can play down. Middle order cannot play up.

And what is this for? Wc or playing in mars

Kartik ll be backup keeper since no one is ready. I m sure he will be alright 

Edited by Rasgulla