Sachin Tendulkar v Virat Kohli - who is better ODI batsman?

Who is better ODI batsman?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better ODI batsman?

With each passing up the gap between Kohli and Tendulkar is gettingi wider and wider. Kohli has left selfish t ndy to lace his boots. It's not even close and hasn't been in all honesty

In fact tamongst Indian ODI players Tendulkar is closer to Ganguly or Dravid or yuvi than to Kohli

You are watching greatest ever ODI cricketer ever 

5 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

brilliant knock by Kohli  today, if only  any  one of the other  5 stayed with him for a bit longer. Closing the gap with Sachin a lot more ..

And  a sublime world cup performance  remains.

There is no gap to close in. He has left him far behind. It's only in your imaginary world they are close.

7 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

Virat is the greatest ODI player till date, and Sachin had rivals who were as good .Kohlis assuredness in finishing the game is unmatched whereas Sachin was week in this matter as well.

Did kohli finish the game today? The only game he finished this series was when rohit also scored a 100.

Also which opener on earth finished games ever? Warner? Sehwag? 

Edited by CSK Fan
2 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

@rtmohanlal do you really think player who is averaging 60 wouldn't manage to average 45 in 2000s. Bar isn't that high, lot of people did it and Kohli would have done it easily.

But there is no indication to show that SRT could have managed to average 60 in this era.

that is where I have a difference . For me there is more chance of an  ATG in  a  tough bowler friendly era  doing  more or less in  equal standards  in another extreme batting friendly era than vice versa. For instance  Viv would have  performed  in almost the same standards in current era  when compared to his own era than  a Kohli doing it vice versa.

8 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Simple question - which of the SRT's achievements do you think Kohli couldn't have managed in 90s and 2000s?

Kohli scored 10000+ runs in 205 inns.Whether you agree with or not w.r.t the effect of Sachin's greatness because of these stats,  once Sachin opened from 'Mar 27 ,94 till  world cup 2011', he scored first 10000 runs(out of 16353 runs)  in 232 inns.His avg: of 47.5 & 88 str: rate  in scoring these 16353 runs would easily be around  53 & 93 of now a days.So when Kohli reaches 16353 runs , his avg: by normal trend is to fall a lot from his current almost 60 avg:.So let us wait and see in this regard.

Sachin was an opener for almost all of these inns in this period. Means   being an opener also reduces a  batsman's chances of

remaining till the end in general.This is because the chances of him getting   wear & tear,exhausted ,tired, cramps etc etc thru an inns  being an opener would have been  relatively a bit more  when compared to Kohli in general.

Agreed that Kohli has a better temperament  to play longer than Sachin in chasing big scores,  but this element of 'batting position and relative  exhaustion' too plays a part in enabling a batsman to remain till the very end.Naturally   Kohli's percentage of not outs is very high when compared to that of Sachin's. Not outs inflate averages.  

So Sachin's performance  as  finisher and there by a chaser needs to be evaluated based on this factor too.

From the above said factors there is not much difference stats wise between the 2 as of now.But then come the factor of  'pressure of expectations'. Sachin's  amount in this regard is unparalleled in history of the game.But despite this he  performed brilliantly in world cups,several  tournament knock outs, played several iconic inns against ATG bowlers etc etc. Kohli lags a bit in this regard. Now that he has become the world best batsman his real test will be in the next 2 world cups . As of now baring that 35 in 2011 final (then  he was a no body and 35 is too low a score), he has been below par.  So let us wait and see as to how he is going to handle the pressure of expectations of crores of fans.

8 hours ago, someone said:

You still can't answer, why nobody is in Kohli's league? While there are tons of players like Ponting, Kallis, Hayden, Sarwan, Sanga who all have similar average as Sachin. This superiority bowling is plain nonsense, it's like how old people think their lives was tougher back then while the younger get it easy. So you foolishly think of past as superior bowling, so no one can ever be regarded today as the better batsman is plain nonsense.

There is Dhoni, ABDV who have similar average as Kohli. I fundamentally disagree with the assessment that there is nobody in Kohli's league today but these guys were in Sachin's league. Sorry, as i said repeatedly, they avegage in the low 40s, Sachin in the high 40s, just like Kohli's competition averages low 50s and he high 50s.

Superior bowling in the 90s is an empiric, statistically proven fact.

1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

Simple question - which of the SRT's achievements do you think Kohli couldn't have managed in 90s and 2000s?

hope you went thru my brief reply. there is one more factor to add to it. I assume  you would have gone thru a comparison of Sachin & Kohli  in cricinfo . In that exercise, Kohli was  leading in the avg: index value, but Sachin was leading in the str: rate index value.

But here too,  high not outs percentage inflates avg: index value (as i earlier specified  batting position, Sachin 's far more pressure of expectations too has an effect on this value along with Kohli's slightly better chasing temperament) .More over they provided str: rate index value for first 10000 runs of Sachin  &  secondly  specifially for the data 'from the time he opened  to the final limit of that 10000 run point'  only. If they calculated

the str: rate  index value  for Sachin's first 10000 runs starting from Mar 27 94(when he opened the batting) onwards, that value would have been further higher.

This high str: rate index value difference  denotes one important point. While Sachin was at the crease he could score freely  a lot  better than his  fellow batsmen than what Kohli could do  with his fellow batsmen in general. For instance, it is like a batsman scoring 65 runs of his own and getting out at  team score 100, where the score card read 100/4.This means all the others found it extremely difficult to score while the batsman in concern was easily scoring runs. Sachin's  quality of this is easily forgotten in a hurry to give lot more value to this 'finishing' factor.That is why while  Dravid,Ganguly, Asharuddin,A.Jadeja, Siddhu,Manjrekar all  had str: rates in 'low 60s to low 70s ', Sachin had 88.Only with the arrival of Yuvraj,Dhoni,Sehwag ( a clear 7.5 years minimum  difference  between them either debuting or really establishing) that Sachin could relax a bit in this regard.

Edited by rtmohanlal
17 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

There is Dhoni, ABDV who have similar average as Kohli. I fundamentally disagree with the assessment that there is nobody in Kohli's league today but these guys were in Sachin's league. Sorry, as i said repeatedly, they avegage in the low 40s, Sachin in the high 40s, just like Kohli's competition averages low 50s and he high 50s.

Repeating the same nonsense doesn't make it correct. There is stats and it shows Kolhi's is in own league. He is dominating the game, like no other player in modern times.

The idea that there can be no player better than Sachin because he played in 90s is the weakest argument ever. There will and always be better players than him and someday, new players will emerge better than Kolhi. There was a Pele, now there is a Messi and both are the best, but Messi is seen as better due to his dominance, consistency. Same case with Kohli. No point in whining over such reality of life.

18 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Bevan averages 57

21 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

To start with debut at 16. Hundred on very first trip against English.

I have my doubts if his current style would have succeeded on backfoot game era.

Sachin used to hit the ball on rise with ease. So, h bever ended up in no mans land. Kohli doesnt have ability of Dravid (backfoot) nor Sachin (on the rise).

so its big assumption that he would have succeded, as there is none like him in that era to score so many runs

Viv averaged more than Sachin with better SR in era without any field restrictions. Bevan played in Sachin's Era and avg 53. Sachin fans think somehow Sachin alone played greatest bowling attacks and was dominating everyone everywhere. It took 2008 for Sachin to score away hundred against best team in his playing days by then Mcgrath and Warne were done playing.