Vijay Shankar (Batting Pacer Allrounder) - Performance Watch thread

7 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

T20s surely not worth it.. I wouldn't rule out ODIs for him..

For Tests, he makes sense.. should be tried against WI/Zim before SENA..  The problem with Pandya in Tests is he is neither fully accountable as a bowler or a batsman.. He role is loosely defined.. With Shankar, treat him as a batsman, who can bowl a few overs to give the top 4 a break.

Only if he can match or outdo Hanuma Vihari - whose FC average is what 60?  

35 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Whats your problem with tamil people man. Lol they should not play for India is it ?

He wants the entire Mumbai team to play for India. Don't you know they named their IPL team Mumbai Indians :phehe:. Shankar is not even playing for CSK. He is playing for DD. Absolute regional bias from the usual suspects. The hate CSK gets is because of this. If Dhoni was playing for MI or other team, he would be kissing his ar$e.

There is something weird about his technique which I am not getting sense of. His elbows are all sticking out weirdly and his shots do not seem to have the right shape. This is unlike Pandya who is also hitter but has a simpler and straightforward approach which probably helps him get more power.

Again have not seen shankar much but he definitely needs some work.

10 hours ago, putrevus said:

I think this kind of guy was needed at no 6 in tests in SENA countries . He surely is better batsman than Pandya and all Pandya was doing in tests in bowl 10 or 12 overs which this guy could do easily.I doubt he will be around till next SENA trip.

That is problem with these guys at Shankar is 28 and Pandya 25, I don't think  either of them will be around in four years.Where were these two 4 years ago.

ODIs and T20s he is not worth it.

Why Pandya wont be around in 4 years?  he would still just be 29.  Hussey started his career at 29-30.  Ishant is 31, Yadav is 31, BK is 29.  These guys might not be around then. Shankar will be 32 and even that isnt a lot.  Pujara is 31 now and he will play 4-5 years easily.  Padnya if he establishes himself cna easily play 10-12 years.

Edited by rkt.india
14 minutes ago, CoverDrive said:

There is something weird about his technique which I am not getting sense of. His elbows are all sticking out weirdly and his shots do not seem to have the right shape. This is unlike Pandya who is also hitter but has a simpler and straightforward approach which probably helps him get more power.

Again have not seen shankar much but he definitely needs some work.

He technique looks very tight.. High elbows, looks to play straight.. very textbook, but that reduces his range..  like I said before, I've never seem him play through the covers / point. His runs mostly come down the ground or through mid-wicket, and square of the wicket against spinners... but rarely through off-drives

8 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

He technique looks very tight.. High elbows, looks to play straight.. very textbook, but that reduces his range..  like I said before, I've never seem him play through the covers / point. His runs mostly come down the ground or through mid-wicket, and square of the wicket against spinners... but rarely through off-drives

if bowlers are bowling straight, how can he play a cover drive?  Bowlers dont give half volleys these days.  Most bowlers in LOI cricket bowls back of a length.  No drive lengths.

Is he a T20 player? Okay to give him a run in ODIs but not in T20s. Has a mediocre T20 record and has not done much in IPL either. I would much rather see guys Surya Yadav, who has a decent record playing at 5-6-7 in IPL to be given chances. A lot of our T20 players bat in top 3 for their IPL teams and struggle to bat in lower middle order. Better to give chance to guys who bat at those positions for their franchises.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

He wants the entire Mumbai team to play for India. Don't you know they named their IPL team Mumbai Indians :phehe:. Shankar is not even playing for CSK. He is playing for DD. Absolute regional bias from the usual suspects. The hate CSK gets is because of this. If Dhoni was playing for MI or other team, he would be kissing his ar$e.

Hehe..pathetic vermins. The biggest joker is sashtri uncle. Crap pot is out to screw Ashwin because he supported Kumble apparently.

Edited by Vilander
31 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Hehe..pathetic vermins. The biggest joker is sashtri uncle. Crap pot is out to screw Ashwin because he supported Kumble apparently.

Ashwin has been picked as the lead spinner for each of the three away tours - SA, Eng and now Aus. And he's failed to perform each time by turning up unfit for those tours. Rather than blaming Shastri, blame Ashwin's own work ethic

6 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Ashwin has been picked as the lead spinner for each of the three away tours - SA, Eng and now Aus. And he's failed to perform each time by turning up unfit for those tours. Rather than blaming Shastri, blame Ashwin's own work ethic

No he did his job in RSA (6 dropped catches in Centurion however), Adelaide and the 1st 3 tests in England. Southampton was a black mark and he should never have been picked due to injury. 

8 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Why Pandya wont be around in 4 years?  he would still just be 29.  Hussey started his career at 29-30.  Ishant is 31, Yadav is 31, BK is 29.  These guys might not be around then. Shankar will be 32 and even that isnt a lot.  Pujara is 31 now and he will play 4-5 years easily.  Padnya if he establishes himself cna easily play 10-12 years.

I don't think either Pandya or Shankar have enough talent to last 4 years.I really hope in four years we find better alternatives than these two.

Did Stuart Binny last , these bits and pieces players don't last that long. 

6 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Spot on, Ashwin has proved again and again that he is incapable of winning a match in SENA countries.

56 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I don't think either Pandya or Shankar have enough talent to last 4 years.I really hope in four years we find better alternatives than these two.

Did Stuart Binny last , these bits and pieces players don't last that long. 

Comparing Binny and Pandya is blasphemy.  Pandya is a proper alrounder who has a test 100 and a test 5-fer already just in his first 11 tests and most those tests he played have been overseas. Pandya as a bowl can swing the ball and also cal bounce out a batsman.  As a batsman, can score 100.  Even Shankar may be comparable in bowling to Binny but as a batting alrounder is far superior to Binny who is a proper first class batsman with average close to 50.

10 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Comparing Binny and Pandya is blasphemy.  Pandya is a proper alrounder who has a test 100 and a test 5-fer already just in his first 11 tests and most those tests he played have been overseas. Pandya as a bowl can swing the ball and also cal bounce out a batsman.  As a batsman, can score 100.  Even Shankar may be comparable in bowling to Binny but as a batting alrounder is far superior to Binny who is a proper first class batsman with average close to 50.

If Binny played in England instead of Pandya, he would have picked up more wickets.Binny is proper swing bowler who would exploited conditions far better than Pandya. He has best odi figures for India.

Binny is no slouch as a batsman compared to Pandya. Don't make Pandya into Gary Sobers , he has single FC hundred that too due to bashing a hapless spinner.

7 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

thats down to ability. but he is near epic in Indian conditions. its funny to say some one else will be ahead of him in the 11 for bowling in home games. 

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

these bits and pieces players

Pandya looks a good bowler ( borderline some one who can be picked since he can tonk runs). Shankar looks a good batsman, if he geneuinly bats well in swing seam conditions he will play as a batsman. 

Neither of them are really bits and pieces. Bits and pieces are players who do not complete any one role fully.