Whether Virat Kohli overtook Sachin as the test batsmen ??

velu

In tests , whether Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin as a batsmen ?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. In tests , whether Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin as a batsmen ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not there yet

8 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

India was no more than a minnow when travelling abroad. Your post is more nonsensical, tbh.

Did Sachin play only abroad, did he not play at home.  Did Sachin retire in 1990s? he played with strongest batting line up from 1996 till he retired but guys like you make it sound like Sachin was  the only batsmen and guys like Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman were nobodies.

India did not tour anywhere  from December 1992 to June 1996 anywhere except Hamiton for one test. Dravid and Ganguly played in that series.

Edited by putrevus
4 hours ago, putrevus said:

Did Sachin play only abroad, did he not play at home.  Did Sachin retire in 1990s? he played with strongest batting line up from 1996 till he retired but guys like you make it sound like Sachin was  the only batsmen and guys like Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman were nobodies.

India did not tour anywhere  from December 1992 to June 1996 anywhere except Hamiton for one test. Dravid and Ganguly played in that series.

Are you an idiot or what?. You're rewriting history. From 1996-1999 heck add even 2000, We lost in england (1-0), australia (3-0), west indies (1-0), south africa (2-0 ; home and away), NZ(1-0).  Lost to Pakistan in home as well.

Strong batting lineup, my ass

19 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Are you an idiot or what?. You're rewriting history. From 1996-1999 heck add even 2000, We lost in england (1-0), australia (3-0), west indies (1-0), south africa (2-0 ; home and away), NZ(1-0).  Lost to Pakistan in home as well.

No one remembers, WV Raman,  SS Das, S Ramesh, Forget Karthik, We had likes of Nayan Mongia and DD Das as keeper.

Not till MSD walked in to Indian side, Our batting became a lineup of match winners

2 hours ago, mishra said:

No one remembers, WV Raman,  SS Das, S Ramesh, Forget Karthik, We had likes of Nayan Mongia and DD Das as keeper.

Not till MSD walked in to Indian side, Our batting became a lineup of match winners

I think it was after Ganguly taking the reins of captaincy that our batting as a collective unit started to take responsibility and perform.

Coincidentally Sehwag debuted around the same time as well.

When Dhoni came we had already won series in England and Pakistan and drawn one in Australia all during a 5 year period.

I cringe at people who compare a batsmen during his purple patch to an overall career which lasted for more than 24 years consistently and having scored thrice the run at around 54 AVG. If I remember correctly after 22 years of his career he was averaging 57( 56.9 to be precise) during 2011 series and was no 1 batsmen even at that age. Kohli is great batsmen potential atg but as of now he is not even comparable to dravid/ gavaskar and sehwag who all have done this and reached to 10 k runs at around 50 or more than 50 avg. Never judge a batsmen on the basis of their  purple or worst phase.Kohli has just reached 6k runs long way to reach to 10 k once he reached their we can compare him with dravid/ gavaskar far fetched GOAT like tendulkar, Lara. I remember paindus compared cook, Amla, Yusuf as well with tendulkar during their purple phase but we all know how those comparison ended. Kohli definitely have potential to be one of the greatest batsmen but comparing it at this juncture when he has just scored one third of runs and don't even play 100 test match is really pathetic and cringeworthy .ODI however he is definitely there.

Edited by raki05
20 hours ago, putrevus said:

That is utter nonsense, India was very strong at home even in 1990s. Lara scored 600 plus in three test series loss where his team got swept. Tendulkar played with one of the greatest lineups since 1996.

Dravid was only established himself as ggoid batsmen not even great from 99 onwards. Abroad no one other than tendulkar or dravid showed up as u claims to be. It was only after 2000 Aus series our batting unit was started considered great with consistent performance of settled player like dravid/ ganguli vvs and then later sehwag. Till 2000 Indian cricket = Sachin, Sachin= Indian cricket. Also you look pathetic when you compare a batsmen not even played 70 test and just entered in his purple phase and having thrice the lesser test run with a player who avgd 57 after 22 years of international stay. 

6 hours ago, Stan AF said:

You are an idiot, what has losses got to do with strength of batting line ups. Sachin was a decade into his tenure, Dravid and Ganguly started with bang in 1996 and they continued to play more than 100 tests in Ganguly and 160 odd tests in Dravid. 

Sachin was part of all those loses, that is the point, if he was superman as some people make him out to be he would have done something about scoring 125 to win a series in WI.Where is the so called greatest batsman doing his bit in making his  team win.

Fab four who are revered by many here were spineless .

Edited by putrevus
1 minute ago, putrevus said:

You are an idiot, what has losses got to do with strength of batting line ups. Sachin was a decade into his tenure, Dravid and Ganguly started with bang in 1996 and they continued to play more than 100 tests in Ganguly and 160 odd tests in Dravid. 

Sachin was part of all those loses, that is the point, if he was superman as some people make him out to be he would have done something about scoring 125 to win a series in WI.Where is the so called greatest batsman doing his bit in making his  team.

Did you just forget your superman was unable to chase 165 against Sl of all teams with fearsome attack of dhamika/lakmal/  herath and Chandimal out classed him coming from follow on and won the match. Please don't bring one off example if that's the case kohli is too spineless that a player who debut in his first series demolish him to submission in world event final. Now you see how one off example can backfire. 

20 minutes ago, raki05 said:

Dravid was only established himself as ggoid batsmen not even great from 99 onwards. Abroad no one other than tendulkar or dravid showed up as u claims to be. It was only after 2000 Aus series our batting unit was started considered great with consistent performance of settled player like dravid/ ganguli vvs and then later sehwag. Till 2000 Indian cricket = Sachin, Sachin= Indian cricket. Also you look pathetic when you compare a batsmen not even played 70 test and just entered in his purple phase and having thrice the lesser test run with a player who avgd 57 after 22 years of international stay. 

Kohli does not need to play 200 tests to be considered greater than Sachin. 200 tests all about longetivity.

Sachin and his followers created that slogan reality was different.

filtered 1990-1999 31 50 4 2400 177 52.17 4604 52.12 9 10 3 309 8

These include  out 31 matches which Sachin played in decade 1990 , he was dominant in one series 1996 England series. 

Kohli after 70 tests has done more than Sachin after 70 tests. Who knows where Kohli's stats end but it will never be close to Sachin. But he has already come close three times in scoring century in each innings. Why is that important it shows when Kohli is in form he shows up every innings.

How many times has Sachin scored 100s in each innings in 200 tests??? Did anybody stop him from doing it.

27 minutes ago, raki05 said:

Did you just forget your superman was unable to chase 165 against Sl of all teams with fearsome attack of dhamika/lakmal/  herath and Chandimal out classed him coming from follow on and won the match. Please don't bring one off example if that's the case kohli is too spineless that a player who debut in his first series demolish him to submission in world event final. Now you see how one off example can backfire. 

Yes Kohli is not without flaws , he has to do more . But I cannot consider Sachin better batsman than Kohli  at this stage of their careers .

Kohli is already better odi batsman than Sachin ever was, it is only tests we have to see where he will end up. But after 70 tests I will take Kohli over Sachin any day.

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Kohli does not need to play 200 tests to be considered greater than Sachin. 200 tests all about longetivity.

Sachin and his followers created that slogan reality was different.

filtered 1990-1999 31 50 4 2400 177 52.17 4604 52.12 9 10 3 309 8

These include  out 31 matches which Sachin played in decade 1990 , he was dominant in one series 1996 England series. 

Kohli after 70 tests has done more than Sachin after 70 tests. Who knows where Kohli's stats end but it will never be close to Sachin. But he has already come close three times in scoring century in each innings. Why is that important it shows when Kohli is in form he shows up every innings.

How many times has Sachin scored 100s in each innings in 200 tests??? Did anybody stop him from doing it.

I doubt even you were born during that time. If you think Sachin considered GOAT by his followers it's nonsense to argue with you. Can you elaborate why Wisden consider his 2nd only to Bradman during half way to his career. Also you were discarding longevity as if it's a bad thing. Afridi also had 24 years of career like Sachin but can you diffrenciate how the meaning of longevity change when we talk about these 2. Performing at highest level for 24 years at such an high average and for 22 years at 57 AVG is only wildest dreams any player can dream off. It seems you are too influenced with kohli purple patch and blind enough to see what other greats have done so that at one point you said they all your spineless. You sound like a pseudo national award wapsi generalist who always come up with difference of opinoon on anything or everything related to nationalism accepted at national and international level and try to create enough dellusion with fabricated evidence. Talk to me when kohli complete 100 test. Why you are comparing him when he just hit a purple patch he is not going to retire now. And God forbid I don't want to say this but every one go through worst phases during their entire career so what matters is where does he ends at the end of his career. I will be morethqn happy if he ends as goat at th end but calling him greater than every one in Indian cricketing history is quite naive to be honest.

Just telling this very seriously  to those even starting to compare Kohli to Sachin ..........have at least the basic minimum  common  sense for a start. Comparing a potential ATG (not scored even 6000 runs as of now ) to a certified legend with almost  over 2.5 times the amount of runs is an insult not only to that legend but several other ATGs like Viv,GregChappel,Ponting,Lara, Kallis, Sanga,Gavaskar etc etc too.

Some fools believe longevity comes automatically .... No  no..... just watch the situation of Alastair cook  as of now He only plays one format  and he is not able to sustain his high level performance even in that single format.

Trescothick,Swann & Prior resigned in the midst of hectic tours because of not able to withstand pressures from various corners.When your career is such lengthy you would come across far more number of  obstacles of various types. In Sachin's case Ajantha Mendis,tennis elbow all were such cases. Compare that to  Alastair cook.

That twin dismissals by Ashwin in the first test has created such a telling influence  in the rest of the series for him.

To overcome that  and to emerge out victorious , no doubt he  requires steely resolve. Otherwise rest assured he can say good bye to his career after this tour.

Edited by rtmohanlal
10 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Yes Kohli is not without flaws , he has to do more . But I cannot consider Sachin better batsman than Kohli  at this stage of their careers .

Kohli is already better odi batsman than Sachin ever was, it is only tests we have to see where he will end up. But after 70 tests I will take Kohli over Sachin any day.

And I don't have any issue with that, that's just your opinion. However reality is quite different I remember people considered cook/Amla/abd as well greater than Sachin at certain points but we all saw how it ends. What even funny is kohli never hit a peek what Amla and abd has reached in test and now all those paindus no where to be seen who compare these 2 with Sachin and Lara. It doesn't degraded Amla or abd as batsmen it jilust shows the parochial and irrational thinking of armchair  xperts.

16 minutes ago, putrevus said:

And I don't have any issue with that, that's just your opinion. However reality is quite different I remember people considered cook/Amla/abd as well greater than Sachin at certain points but we all saw how it ends. What even funny is kohli never hit a peek what Amla and abd has reached in test and now all those paindus no where to be seen who compare these 2 with Sachin and Lara. It doesn't degraded Amla or abd as batsmen it jilust shows the parochial and irrational thinking of armchair  xperts.

56 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Sachin was part of all those loses, that is the point, if he was superman as some people make him out to be he would have done something about scoring 125 to win a series in WI.Where is the so called greatest batsman doing his bit in making his  team win.

So we are back to the La La Land where Fab 4 were spineless but Afridi was an ODI legend?