Whether Virat Kohli overtook Sachin as the test batsmen ??

velu

In tests , whether Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin as a batsmen ?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. In tests , whether Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin as a batsmen ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not there yet

20 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Yes Kohli is not without flaws , he has to do more . But I cannot consider Sachin better batsman than Kohli  at this stage of their careers .

Kohli is already better odi batsman than Sachin ever was, it is only tests we have to see where he will end up. But after 70 tests I will take Kohli over Sachin any day.

Another problem in your argument is Sachin career dint end after 70 match and neither does kohli retiring tomorrow. I can do this kind of narrow stats analysis and show laughable batting line up of Pakistanis greater than kohli. A very simple example is Babar Azam is better than kohli after 50 match or how he is No1 batsmen inworld in t20 and better than kohli in T20.

1 hour ago, goose said:

When Sachin was at his peak he was compared to Bradman, like seriously. You had to be there to understand. Pundits and fans all over the world simply couldn't conceive of better batsmanship.  

Kohli is being compared, by some, to Tendulkar.

Case closed.

It's coz the old buddhe who watched Bradman are all dead. If they saw Kohli they'd say Kohli would've been spanking Bradman

/s

On a serious note, as much as I love Sachin, I see bigger things in Kohli. People talk about purple patches, but I feel its a lot more than that, this is a player who comes back stronger and stronger. Kohli feeds off challenges, if he fails at something, he's going to go back and fix that. There's an ego there that wants to sit on top of the world and he has the drive to get there.

Edited by Sachinism
1 hour ago, Sachinism said:

It's coz the old buddhe who watched Bradman are all dead. If they saw Kohli they'd say Kohli would've been spanking Bradman

/s

On a serious note, as much as I love Sachin, I see bigger things in Kohli. People talk about purple patches, but I feel its a lot more than that, this is a player who comes back stronger and stronger. Kohli feeds off challenges, if he fails at something, he's going to go back and fix that. There's an ego there that wants to sit on top of the world and he has the drive to get there.

Yup he has large selling and mental toughness, but still calling him better than Sachin at this stage is not right even kohli wouldn't agree to it.

1 hour ago, Sachinism said:

/s

ha ha!

I understand you but the question, as always, is not who is the better batsman if you place both side by side, but rather to what degree did they excel relative to their peers. Tendulkar's era was a good two decades ago and a lot has changed since then. like everyone else you are talking about Kohli in the future tense. it was the same with Ponting, and a few others who belong in that 2nd tier. fundamentally you are waiting for the numbers to rack up. Tendulkar always set tongues wagging with what he had already done, no further proof was needed.

13 hours ago, raki05 said:

Dravid was only established himself as ggoid batsmen not even great from 99 onwards. Abroad no one other than tendulkar or dravid showed up as u claims to be. It was only after 2000 Aus series our batting unit was started considered great with consistent performance of settled player like dravid/ ganguli vvs and then later sehwag. Till 2000 Indian cricket = Sachin, Sachin= Indian cricket. Also you look pathetic when you compare a batsmen not even played 70 test and just entered in his purple phase and having thrice the lesser test run with a player who avgd 57 after 22 years of international stay. 

I distinctly remember Dravid flopping in the 1999-2000 australia test series. Sachin got the MOS for that series even after ending up losing 0-3

There is an even an old video of Gavaskar during that odi series in which we lost 7 games in which Sunny said that India has 2 batsmen the captain tendulkar and his lieutenant Ganguly and nobody else. To suggest anything else by anyone is utter ignorance.

Dont get carried away every good batsman had invincible phase in their life between age 28-32.... Amla had 400+ runs in 2 match test series in india (litmus test for overseas batsman), cook had 766 runs in an ashes series and 500 in india series...

But they wont be rated anyway near tendy.

Virat will have to keep performing like this fot next 5 years (50 tests) at least...

17 hours ago, raki05 said:

Yup he has large selling and mental toughness, but still calling him better than Sachin at this stage is not right even kohli wouldn't agree to it.

Not yet, but I feel Kohli will go from strength to strength. The way he stands out from the other 21 players on the pitch is something to admire.

16 hours ago, goose said:

ha ha!

I understand you but the question, as always, is not who is the better batsman if you place both side by side, but rather to what degree did they excel relative to their peers. Tendulkar's era was a good two decades ago and a lot has changed since then. like everyone else you are talking about Kohli in the future tense. it was the same with Ponting, and a few others who belong in that 2nd tier. fundamentally you are waiting for the numbers to rack up. Tendulkar always set tongues wagging with what he had already done, no further proof was needed.

Absolutely, I see the potential and believe he'll live up to it. But only time will tell

Forget Tendulkar, Kohli's run to climb the peak and topple Bradman has begun... :aha: Going to be very difficult above 940 rating...it moves very slowly obviously... 24 rating points to go

Top 20 All Time Test Rankings

1 more point would have made him clear Richards, Sobers, Walcott n Sanga's peak ... all legendary people :hatsoff:

and only 10 points away from Smith - Another bradmanesque batsman of the current era...

ID Rat. Name Nat. Career Best Rating
1 961 D.G. Bradman AUS 961 v India, 10/02/1948
2 947 S.P.D. Smith AUS 947 v England, 30/12/2017
3 945 L. Hutton ENG 945 v West Indies, 03/04/1954
4 942 R.T. Ponting AUS 942 v England, 05/12/2006
4 942 J.B. Hobbs ENG 942 v Australia, 23/08/1912
6 941 P.B.H. May ENG 941 v Australia, 27/08/1956
7 938 I.V.A. Richards WI 938 v England, 31/03/1981
7 938 G.S. Sobers WI 938 v India, 17/01/1967
7 938 C.L. Walcott WI 938 v Australia, 15/06/1955
7 938 K.C. Sangakkara SL 938 v England, 05/12/2007
11 937 V. Kohli IND 937 v England, 22/08/2018
12 935 M.L. Hayden AUS 935 v England, 11/11/2002
12 935 J.H. Kallis SA 935 v New Zealand, 22/11/2007
12 935 A.B. de Villiers SA 935 v Australia, 24/02/2014
15 933 Mohammad Yousuf PAK 933 v West Indies, 01/12/2006
16 927 R.G. Pollock SA 927 v Australia, 23/02/1970
16 927 E.D. Weekes WI 927 v New Zealand, 07/03/1956
18 922 A.D. Nourse SA 922 v England, 11/06/1951
18 922 K.D. Walters AUS 922 v South Africa, 23/02/1970
20 921 R.N. Harvey AUS 921 v South Africa, 10/02/1953
20 921 M.E.K. Hussey AUS 921 v West Indies, 27/05/2008
Edited by Shunya
On 8/22/2018 at 2:08 PM, Stradlater said:

I think it was after Ganguly taking the reins of captaincy that our batting as a collective unit started to take responsibility and perform.

Coincidentally Sehwag debuted around the same time as well.

When Dhoni came we had already won series in England and Pakistan and drawn one in Australia all during a 5 year period.

Absolutely agreed, it is ganguly era from where people started taking us seriously and only after 2000 our batting was considered strong during abroad tour.

Most number of times 200 or more in a winning cause by an Indian. Next best is Dravid (5 times).

And to do it as captain, he is at top with 7 times. Next best for captains doing it is - Bradman & Ponting (6 times as captain)

ssssss.jpg.25737491f265a04e4ad0765ffdb5c0f6.jpg

TOI

Bradman tops the chart for most games with 200+ total match scores in winning cause in a test match. Kohli is inching towards Bradmanesque numbers in this regards as well. Only 5 more such games to go and he has played least number of games to breach these marks. :hatsoff: 

12 times - Bradman

10 times - Ponting

9 times - Sangakarra

8 times - Younis Khan

7 times - Virat Kohli

6 times - Greenidge, Kallis, Langer

5 times - Steve Smith, Amla, Dravid, Hammond, Inzimam

P.S - Sachin(2 times)

Source - Statsguru

Edited by Shunya
7 minutes ago, Shunya said:

Most number of times 200 or more in a winning cause by an Indian. Next best is Dravid (5 times).

And to do it as captain, he is at top with 7 times. Next best for captains doing it is - Bradman & Ponting (6 times as captain)

ssssss.jpg.25737491f265a04e4ad0765ffdb5c0f6.jpg

TOI

Bradman tops the chart for most games with 200+ total individual score in winning cause in a test match. Kohli is inching towards Bradmanesque numbers in this regards as well. Only 5 more such games to go and he has played least number of games to breach these marks. :hatsoff: 

12 times - Bradman

10 times - Ponting

9 times - Sangakarra

8 times - Younis Khan

7 times - Virat Kohli

6 times - Greenidge, Kallis, Langer

5 times - Steve Smith, Amla, Dravid, Hammond, Inzimam

P.S - Sachin(2 times)

Source - Statsguru

Agreed Sachin is worst than yunis/Amla/inzmam/Greenidge/Langer. Now can you put same stats for dhoni as well . To start off with how many centuries outside India would be a great stats to s e. I am sure he will have 5 atleast....:hysterical:

11 minutes ago, raki05 said:

Agreed Sachin is worst than yunis/Amla/inzmam/Greenidge/Langer. Now can you put same stats for dhoni as well . To start off with how many centuries outside India would be a great stats to s e. I am sure he will have 5 atleast....:hysterical:

dude  .. you said you are not a sachin bhakt :phehe: 

12 minutes ago, raki05 said:

I said so to get rid of load testing which you are doing on statsguru to pull outvarious reports.

Start praying that Virat Kohli does not score more runs so nobody writes anything about Virat and you guys can live peacefully in your Sachin nostalgia. Statistically he is going leaps and bound compared to Sachin which has already brought down the comparison to all hyperboles like "90s mein yeh hota tha, 90s mein woh hota tha, one man show, only 90s had good bowlers, impact of bhagwaanji was such that people would switch off TVs once he got out, etc" Good for melodrama and nostalgia but Indian cricket has moved on. As of now Virat Kohli is going beast mode playing all 3 formats and hence better than Sachin IMO. Kudos to him to rise to this level :hatsoff: