Ravi Shastri using 1985 World Championship tactics: L Sivaramakrishnan

24 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:
1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:
Even i thought that was the case. He laughs at this. I read in a Tamil magazine interview. He said he didn't do any of that.

Yea, with his current association with ICC you expect him to accept his drug history.

Nope. It was long back even before he became part of it. He sounded genuine. He had some other reasons.  I believe he didn't work hard enough. He was still doing well in the Ranji Trophy for his state, He made a century batting at 9 or 10. He didn't go on to next level. Still can't forget how he fooled Miandad in the B&H tournament

9 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Nope. It was long back even before he became part of it. He sounded genuine. He had some other reasons.  I believe he didn't work hard enough. He was still doing well in the Ranji Trophy for his state, He made a century batting at 9 or 10. He didn't go on to next level. Still can't forget how he fooled Miandad in the B&H tournament

Siva was a talent that stunted instead of blossoming.  He knows it.  Early success and fame took him down the wrong path at a critical time in his career.  His last brush with top flight cricket was helping Tendulkar prepare for Warne - who was at his peak - before the Australian tour to India in 1998.

And he's immensely grateful to the BCCI, for giving him a 2nd career as a commentator.  That is why he will never say one word against the BCCI.  

80s and 90s had quite a few talents that didn't come to the fore due to one reason or another.  Back in those days, even national cricketers didn't make much money.   You can only imagine the fate of domestic players.   

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

On the subject of the thread, its starting to really irritate me that serious followers of the game continue to take a massive $heit on finger spinners, without acknowledging the role played by the ICC rule changes for ODIs. 

When you flip the power-play rules and restrict outfielders to 4 for the middle 30 overs, it is much easier for batsmen to pre-determine their shots and target certain areas of the out-field, against bowlers that are not able to turn the ball "the wrong way" to a significant degree.   This is the reason why a Jadeja was the MVP in the 2013 Champions trophy, but got slaughtered by Sri Lanka in the 2017 version.   Not because he's not as effective.   Same applies to Ashwin.   

Taking away that 5th outfielder defangs slower pace bowlers who don't get much deviation.  Its as simple as that.   

India have been glacially slow in responding to these updated rules.   4 outfielders in the middle 30 means that a set batsman should be able to hit a boundary per over on average, without taking too much risk.   

If strategy would dictate batting order instead of seniority, Indian team should be sending a clever gap hitter like Kedar Jadhav at #4 for an extended run, to see if he is able to execute his skills and inject some momentum in the 20-35 over stage.   Instead we have to tolerate the likes of Rahane at #4 or as one ICF poster memorably calls him "Slow-ni".   

it is not that simple. In 2013, he got more spin friendly pitches than in 2017. 

7 hours ago, Brainfade said:

He lost his parents in quick succession after the 1985 WCC tournament.  If I recall correctly, one of them passed away during the SL series that immediately followed the WCC.  He was never the same.  I was a big fan - growing up in Bengaluru, it was a matter of great pride that one Karnataka legend (SMHK) was handing over the mantle to another (SV).  Sadly did not pan out.  

Yes.  I was, inadvertently, being less than fair to him when I said it was an inability to handle stress. 

Actually his father committed suicide before he got the international call up.  Then his mother also went around the time you mentioned.

Perhaps the lack of a stabilizing influence contributed to his reported problems with the bottle.  Whatever it was, he was there much too briefly.

23 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

The only thing Ravi Shastri achieved was patofying Amrita Singh till the time Saif Ali Khan married her!

I rember that. Then he married some girl from Delhi.

Sifarshi came in the team as an offspinner. Figured out could not hackit as a bowler and started batting. I am glad the days of blatant abuse of power and giving spots to sifarshis are over. (not fully but almost)

As long Shastri has a job as a coach with BCCI we can never call BCCI a truly professional organization. What a joke. #FireShastriNow.

Edited by Khota
3 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

The only thing Ravi Shastri achieved was patofying Amrita Singh till the time Saif Ali Khan married her!

He was rumored to have dated Gabriela Sabatini! It turns out he had just expressed a wish to go on a date with her!

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india/ravi-shastri-who/story-isDGwjp9PHrXXNafJl1SHL.html

He is a chichora! 

4 hours ago, NameGoesHere said:

Yes.  I was, inadvertently, being less than fair to him when I said it was an inability to handle stress. 

Actually his father committed suicide before he got the international call up.  Then his mother also went around the time you mentioned.

Perhaps the lack of a stabilizing influence contributed to his reported problems with the bottle.  Whatever it was, he was there much too briefly.

I met him in a Kannada Sangha picnic here in US a few years ago. Spoke to him about 1985. He looked totally different of course, he was trying to become an umpire at that time. He could never get enough clout to become an Intl' umpire, he did umpire a few domestic matches. You need to grease some BCCI babus' hands to cut it , I think. Poor guy. It was sad when the picnic organizers went around collecting cash secretly to gift it to him. I had given $20. So many talented people in the world, can't cut it with fierce competition and need doles of luck. And then there are worthless hacks like Ravi Shastri who brown-nose their way up to the top. Ugh!

Edited by coffee_rules
9 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I met him in a Kannada Sangha picnic here in US a few years ago. Spoke to him about 1985. He looked totally different of course, he was trying to become an umpire at that time. He could never get enough clout to become an Intl' umpire, he did umpire a few domestic matches. You need to grease some BCCI babus' hands to cut it , I think. Poor guy. It was sad when the picnic organizers went around collecting cash secretly to gift it to him. I had given $20. So many talented people in the world, can't cut it with fierce competition and need doles of luck. And then there are worthless hacks like Ravi Shastri who brown-nose their way up to the top. Ugh!

That's great...am jealous!  I hope he is living a comfortable life now.

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Seems to have retired as an umpire also, last year.  He had shared how he went to Gulf to work as a regular when he was dropped from Karnataka team. He didn't have a mentor. 

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/vishwanath-seeks-to-live-cricket-again/article20628906.ece

Thanks for sharing that.  One thing is for sure, he marched to his own beat.  In terms of overt aggression, borderline arrogance on the field, and taking the fight to the opposition, he was ahead of his time as an Indian cricketer.  Most of his contemporaries were docile in comparison.  

On 2/28/2018 at 3:34 AM, CoverDrive said:

1985 world championship was my first cricketing memory. I was 7 years old. That was first time I kind of knew how the game worked and remember watching it on neighbors color tv. My strongest memories are of Sadanand Vishwanath stumping like flash and appealing. He was a flamboyant character and very good keeper. 

Here's one of my favorite Sadanand Vishwanath moments.  The umpire clearly f'd up and Vishwanath's reaction is gold!

One last one.  Any time Miandad goes out like that, it must be celebrated even if it has been 33 years since.  st. SV b. LS.

Sharp turn, clean collection, flash!  And this time, SV did not even bother to appeal. 

Edited by Brainfade